SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball's Screwed Up Enough--Who Needs Senator McCain?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Baseball's Screwed Up Enough--Who Needs Senator McCain? Reply with quote

Baseball's Screwed Up Enough--Who Needs Senator McCain?
Written by Doc Farmer
Wednesday, December 08, 2004

By now, most of you know that I'm not that much of a sports fan. I watch maybe one football game a year. Not a whole one, mind you, just a minute here, 30 seconds there, as I'm flipping channels between Food Network, Animal Planet, Adult Swim and Fox News. I'm not all that fussed about basketball, except when a fight breaks out of course, and I can't be bothered too much with hockey except when a fight doesn't break out.

Being an American citizen and a male of the species, however, it is expected that I give a rat's rump about sports – or, at least to be conversant enough to fake it. My dad likes golf, which to my mind is more boring even than cricket (I'm talking five-day test matches here, not the one-day international version). My one sister loves NASCAR, which to me is equally coma-inducing – I already know how to make a left turn, I just don't see the need to watch a 3-hour demonstration of the technique.

And then, there's baseball.

Dad loves watching baseball. More accurately, he loves watching the Cleveland Indians so he can swear at the TV as they attempt to play the game, but it still counts. He's not a fanatic about the sport, but he enjoys it and for me that's enough to make it worthwhile. I very marginally follow the Chicago Cubs and the San Diego Padres (I know, this streak of masochism is disturbing, isn't it?) because one of them is the nearest bunch of losers to home while the other is my hometown bunch of losers. And since they haven't won the ''World'' Series in many a year, I feel fully justified in using the ''L'' word to describe them – it isn't said to be mean, just to be honest. By the way, if it's supposed to be a ''World'' Series, where's the Bosnian team? Or the Australian team? I know the Jamaican team would never make it through customs, but that's a different issue altogether.

In the past week, there has been a lot of noise (as opposed to news) regarding some sort of drug scandal in baseball. I'll wait for your yawn of excitement to finish before I continue. A baseball player, whose name I don't recognize and whose team I don't remember, apparently admitted before a Grand Jury that he used steroids. Another pause while we let the shock of that declaration pass. Now, we're talking about a sport in which the heroes of my father's day were hardly the millionaire-playboy-felons of today. Babe Ruth had a bit of a beer gut and the words ''Wide Load'' printed on the back of his boxer shorts. Joltin' Joe, by contrast, had the arms of a pipe-cleaner with anorexia. The drugs of choice back then were beer, scotch, Lucky Strikes and (for the really ritzy guys) Cuban cigars. Say the word ''tofu'' in front of these guys and you'd likely get a dislocated jaw for using such language in public.

Now, we've got some guy, making megamillions per year to hit a ball with a stick maybe three times out of ten (if he's lucky), telling a Grand Jury that the reason he is able to bench-press Wyoming has nothing to do with clean living and the blessings of the Lord. Apparently, he had to get immunity from prosecution to make his Earth-shattering admission. The fact that the doors had to be taken out of the frame so that his bicep could fit into the jury room didn't seem to trigger an ''AHA!'' moment for any of the jurors.

There are a few things that bug me about this story, and they have little to do with what the folks at ESPN, ESPN2 through ESPN94, and the lib/dem/soc/commie sports media have focused on. For starters, why is this information public? Last I checked, testimony and evidence presented before a Grand Jury is privileged information. It is quite secret. Ask the folks who investigated Teddy Kennedy's ''Swims With The (Body By) Fishers'' incident a few decades back, and you'll get a stony silence. Don't quote me on this, as I'm not a (bleep) lawyer, but I believe that if you ''leak'' information from a Grand Jury investigation, you've committed a crime. A rather large one, I might add. Not the Martha-Stewart-hiding-spices-in-her-bra-at-Camp-Cupcake kind, but the 350-pound-mass-murderer-knife-weilding-cellmate-sending-you-Hallmark-cards kind. For some reason that I'm totally befuddled by, nobody seems to be bothering to investigate this part of the story.

Worse, and stranger still, we now have Senator John McCain (R-NL West) demanding a congressional investigation into the ''serious'' issue of drug use in baseball. For some reason, the Senator believes that it is the duty of the federal government to intervene in, of all things, a game.

I don't recall the Declaration of Independence stating that our inalienable rights included Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of a horsehide sphere. Perhaps Senator McCain can show me the part of the Bill of Rights that mentions Abner Doubleday, or the words ''Pine Tar'' and ''Corked Bat'' in the millions of words of United States Code.

Every time something happens that the news media can blow out of proportion, we seem to get a crowd of congressmen, a swarm of senators, and a bevy of beltway bandits braying that ''something must be done'' to fix (fill in the blank here). Excuse me for saying, but as a non-fan of sports, I have to ask these congressional crackpots a simple question.

Why is this any of your damn business?

Baseball is a game. It is also a business. It is not a member of the Executive, Legislature, or Judiciary. Businessmen and women, investors and so forth own baseball. Athletes participate in it, and are paid handsomely for it. Some say too handsomely, but they're paid what the market will bear, and last I looked we're in a more-or-less free market economy. Fans fund it by going to the ballparks, buying cold hot dogs and warm beer and cheesy souvenirs. Television stations broadcast the games because they have viewers (like my Dad) who enjoy swearing at the TV for reasons other than Oprah or Maury. Advertisers pay for those broadcasts because they know that viewers will buy the stuff they're selling between innings (after the game is over, of course).

Nowhere in this mix is the Federal Government. Nor should there be. Professional sports are a bit screwed up, I grant you, but I can guarantee if you throw the federalés into the mix it'll be a FUBAR of biblical proportions. Let's face facts here – the only thing that the government HASN'T screwed up in the past 83,432 days of its existence has been the military, the patent office, the national highway system, and the flying saucer cover-up. Other than that, I wouldn't trust the government to pick heads or tails in a two-headed coin toss – with the government actually tossing the coin.

So why should I trust an investigation by a bunch of stuffed shirts from Foggy Bottom?

Senator McCain, perhaps if you actually paid attention to the job you're supposed to be doing, we'd have a better government and a better country. Leave the games to the players and fans and owners. Leave business to the businesses. Leave law enforcement to the cops. And leave the rest of us alone. That goes for the 534 other bozos you work with as well. Maybe then, just maybe, you might actually be worthy of our votes.

About the Writer: Doc Farmer is a writer and humorist who is also a moderator on ChronWatch's Forum. He formerly lived in Saudi Arabia and Qatar, but now resides in the Midwest. Doc receives e-mail at docfarmer9999@yahoo.co.uk.

This Article Was First Published In ChronWatch At: http://www.chronwatch.com/content/contentDisplay.asp?aid=11640

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steroids are already illegal except for medicinal purpose.
Which means the legislators are out of the scene. It’s simply a law enforcement and then judiciary problem.
McCain is just trying to make a name for him self, but he already did that.
For one he never admitted that Kerry was a lying, backstabbing traitor to the veterans.
Secondly, he gave a very thoughtful consideration to be his running mate.
What's that tell you?
DISCUSTING FOR ANYBODY let alone a Republican!
I have no use for the man or his opinions.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget - the 2008 campaign season has started and he is running for POTUS
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does baseball have to do with the Federal Govt. in the first place? Invokingthe founding fathers is, I think, an over used cliche'. Yet, I cannot help but wonder what the people who wrote the Constitution would think of a Senator who feels it is his duty to get the Federal Govt. involved in a GAME for God's sake?
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,I thought you knew! McCain is the Martha Stewart/McGiver of the senate, he thinks hes the go-to guy, much like ambassator at large Jesse Jackson. He will be there even when he isnt needed, much like a house fly.
After he fixes baseball he can take a moldy moms apple pie and turn it into a festive holiday fruit cake.
In the last six months people got a good look at McCain, cant you see him stumpin " vote for me, I fixed baseball and Im john kerrys friend". Wink
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty61 wrote:
What does baseball have to do with the Federal Govt. in the first place? Invokingthe founding fathers is, I think, an over used cliche'. Yet, I cannot help but wonder what the people who wrote the Constitution would think of a Senator who feels it is his duty to get the Federal Govt. involved in a GAME for God's sake?

One of my posters over at ChronWatch explained - Congress gave baseball an exemption from anti-trust legislation back in the 20s. Because of that, apparently, Congress feels it can stick its nose in to baseball's business.

blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc, whats your point? are you bitchin' or bragging? Wink
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Doc, whats your point? are you bitchin' or bragging? Wink

Oh, bitchin', I assure you. I don't think that the anti-trust exemption is sufficient reason for McCain to be "bobbing for air-time" especially considering the horrendous illegal alien situation in AZ. I just wanted to provide further information for debate.

GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope when senator McCain gets older he is able to reflect on the Vietnam War and think of those early Pow's from the south that were skinned alive. I really cannot say more.
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
I hope when senator McCain gets older he is able to reflect on the Vietnam War and think of those early Pow's from the south that were skinned alive. I really cannot say more.

Technically, he already is "older" - sadly, no wiser, however... Sad

blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,Genr',
Im there with ya, Who the hell croaked and told him hes the new correctness monitor? Shocked I guess hes in shock over the kerry regection thing! AZ needs to give him a reallity check. Maybe a Zell Miller-McCain ticket? ------------------Or how bout Garbarfallo--Moore?
This dog and pony show only gets better! Very Happy Wink
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue9t3,

McCain (did I tell you he was a POW) just won re-election. He didn't have to campaign and I didn't know he was running till I got my ballot. He's an object of contempt for anyone familiar with him (Just ask Charlie Keating.) and most Republicans. McCain's (did I tell you he was a POW) national grandstanding has made him a sweetheart of the state dems and uninformed Rep's. His Campaign Finance law is really the Incumbent Protection Act.

McCain's (did I tell you he was a POW) a shady opportunist. His Commerce Committee is a shake down operation. A Senate inquiry into baseball headed by McCain (did I tell you he was a POW) is another way to grandstand and shakedown fat dollars.

Today, McCain (did I tell you he was a POW) attacked Rummy and defended Kofi Annan. Barry Goldwater must be spinning in his grave.
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCain is a real lfe Capt. Queeg. He is worried about the Strawberries while the ships organization needs tending to. He stands around rattling his ball bearings while the ship needs sailing directions.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If McCain was on the ticket, Im gona write-in Perot's name. Shocked
But in the real world I'm a little worried because I dont see any new stars on the horizon, and although I would want him on my side in a street fight, I cant see the Arnoldator doing anything!
Not to mention hes kin to Ted the life guard--------exuse me, I think my skin just crawled! Mad
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
If McCain was on the ticket, Im gona write-in Perot's name. Shocked
But in the real world I'm a little worried because I dont see any new stars on the horizon, and although I would want him on my side in a street fight, I cant see the Arnoldator doing anything!
Not to mention hes kin to Ted the life guard--------exuse me, I think my skin just crawled! Mad

Let not your heart be troubled. In '88 nobody figured on Slick Willy in 1992 and he damn near got skinned. There are plenty of good candidates. Celebrity or star power is not what one needs. McCain comes from a proud family of honorable military men, but as a Pres. candidate he is a flat flop. Arnold cannot run constitutionally and who would think so with 1 yr as Gov. that he has any experience anyway. Look to several of the good solid Republican Governors. Senators make lousy candidates. It's too early to be concerned and there is work to be done. Someone will make himself known soon enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: