SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I Need Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: I Need Help Please Reply with quote

Did anyone read the story of the American soldier who had a mangled hand wound and was given the choice of losing his finger or his wedding ring and he chose his finger? 19 year old kid. They amputated his finger AND lost the ring. I wanted to make a few phone calls today and see if there was anyone who would replace that ring for them and can't seem to find the story. It was on the AOL news flash yesterday and I can't locate it today.

If anyone can find this story, I would appreciate it cause if I get someone to do it, I need to know the name.

Thanks.
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Chicago Reply with quote

I read the story in the Chicago Sun-Times this morning. It should be on line. Talk about the usual Military SNAFU!
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have googled and everything to try and find this story and can't find it. If you still have your paper, can you just give me the details in a PM like his name and location. Something that someone can track this person down type of info.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it. Called the Chamber of Commerce in Victorville, CA to see if they had heard anything on this and whether a jeweler has approached them yet. Answer is, two have called them so it looks like this story may have a better ending than to start.

Here is the newsarticle.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-ring13.html

Wounded Marine sacrifices finger to save wedding ring

December 13, 2004

VICTORVILLE, Calif. -- When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.

The 19-year-old former high school football star suffered a mangled left hand and serious wounds in his legs in a Nov. 13 fire fight in Fallujah. Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's ring to save as much of his finger as they could.

''But that would mean destroying my wedding ring,'' he said. ''My wife is the strongest woman I know. She's basically running two people's lives since I've been gone.''

With his approval, doctors severed his finger, but somehow in the chaos that followed, they lost his ring. His wife, Devon, still said she was honored. ''I can't believe he did that,'' she said. AP
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring could have been repaired, I think the poor kid suffered a head injury! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: