SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freaky Numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mother
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Freaky Numbers Reply with quote

Here's some weird stuff to set minds abuzz on a cold December day.

Back a year or two I was trying to figure out which lectionary year my church was in- A,B, or C- so I'd know which readings were correct.
The formula to calculate it is in the back of our prayer book: take the year, 2004 for example and divide by 3. If it doesn't come up to an even number, you go back one year, and if it still doesn't come up even, you go back one more year. The even year is year A.

I've been cleaning out and organizing my son's room since he left for Parris Island. I came across a special Time publication of 9/11 this morning and sat down to take a look at it. Inside was a map of the three flights that day. I don't know what triggered me, but I remembered doing that calculation from the prayer book because the year I had to go back to, to find an even number was 1998. The even number I found was 666.

I added Flights 11, 175, and 93. They total 279.
I added 2 + 7 + 9. They totaled 18.
I divided by 3.

Another interesting phenom is that last year I was fascinated by the mixup of the Julian & Gregorian calendars and wondered if anyone had any theories about the actual date of Jesus' birth. I looked up the "date" of Jesus' birth in an internet search. Many theories prior to 2001 actually list the date as 9/11.

Don't go off on a rant about stuff in the bible warning to stay away from numerology, I'm not by any means into that stuff! I just thought I'd share what I came across.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the photos of the WTC with Satan's face in the smoke.

I don't know how to post pics, but here is the website. Pretty darn eerie. If anyone can take those and put them here, it is pretty incredible. These pictures have been authenticated.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.clickondetroit.com/sh/news/stories/nat%2Dnews%2D96283920010917%2D120936.html
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mother asked,
Quote:
Another interesting phenom is that last year I was fascinated by the mixup of the Julian & Gregorian calendars and wondered if anyone had any theories about the actual date of Jesus' birth. I looked up the "date" of Jesus' birth in an internet search. Many theories prior to 2001 actually list the date as 9/11.

After 2000 years the difference between the Julian and Gregorian calender was only some 40 days. In the time of Christ the difference was nil. Roman years were ultimately dated from the mythical 5th Century BC founding of the city. In Republican Era the years were named for the 2 Counsels. After Augustus the years began to reflect their sequence in the emperors reign. No one has any true idea for the birth of Christ. A best guess is about 4 BC in the summer which includes your 9/11. What is known is that the early church specifically grafted their holy days on Roman festivals, in this case the Saturnalia. It was a six day affair of civil liberty and gift giving commencing on the 19th of December. Likewise the tree was later adopted from the Celts to absorb more pagans in communion.

The problem with Christ and historiography is the lack of contemporaneous accounts. The gospels come 70 years later and lack direct correlation with the established record. Tiberious, Pilate, or Herod are known quantities which allow windows of possibility but nothing definite.

Numerology is a superstition and the apostles would be appalled.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homesteader
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting patterns in the smoke that look like faces. My problem is that the devil alway appears to me as super attractive, and seductive. Nothing like the faces in the smoke.
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
Mother asked,
Quote:

After 2000 years the difference between the Julian and Gregorian calender was only some 40 days. In the time of Christ the difference was nil. Roman years were ultimately dated from the mythical 5th Century BC founding of the city. In Republican Era the years were named for the 2 Counsels. After Augustus the years began to reflect their sequence in the emperors reign. No one has any true idea for the birth of Christ. A best guess is about 4 BC in the summer which includes your 9/11. What is known is that the early church specifically grafted their holy days on Roman festivals, in this case the Saturnalia. It was a six day affair of civil liberty and gift giving commencing on the 19th of December. Likewise the tree was later adopted from the Celts to absorb more pagans in communion.

The problem with Christ and historiography is the lack of contemporaneous accounts. The gospels come 70 years later and lack direct correlation with the established record. Tiberious, Pilate, or Herod are known quantities which allow windows of possibility but nothing definite.

Numerology is a superstition and the apostles would be appalled.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the difference between the Julian Calendar and the Gregorian was 10 days when Gregory adjusted it in 1582 to correct the cumulative error that had been occuring at a rate of about a day over 128 years. Caesar's calendar had calculated the year to be 11 minutes and 14 seconds too long.

The correction was made by dropping 10 days in October of 1582, and dropping the leap year in 3 of every 4 years ending in "00". Thus, 1600 was a leap year, but 1700, 1800, and 1900 were not. You'll notice that 2000 was in fact a leap year.

The Roman years were in fact dated from the founding of the city (753 BC), and are referred to as "Ab Urbe Condita" (AUC), which basically means from the founding of the city. This year is 2757 AUC, and beginning next Jan 14, it will be 2758.

The Romans did seem to find it convenient to refer to years as "In the Consulship of...." for centuries. It was in the 6th Century AD that the monk Dionysius Exiguus devised the dating system we now use based on the birth of Christ. His calculation of the exact year of Christ's birth has never been confirmed, and probably never will be.

Comparing the various calendars indicates that King Herod the Great died in 4 BC, and knowing that he was alive when Jesus was born, we have to assume that Jesus was born in some few years "BC". The exact month and day is not really known.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DADESID:

I bow to superior scholarship. I was vomitting half forgotten trivia.

The Tzars continued the Julian calender until the revolution which is cited in to two different months (not counting the 2nd and Bolshevik Revolution) depending on the calender used.

I'm likely wrong but I thought Gibbon followed Livy in prefering the overthrow of Tarquin to the mythic Romulous.
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: The Book of Numbers Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the fourth flight # in Mother's original post.

And isn't 18 divided by 3=6???

What am I missing here? I know I was a Marine, but I was in the Air Wing for most of my career.
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
DADESID:

I bow to superior scholarship. I was vomitting half forgotten trivia.

The Tzars continued the Julian calender until the revolution which is cited in to two different months (not counting the 2nd and Bolshevik Revolution) depending on the calender used.

I'm likely wrong but I thought Gibbon followed Livy in prefering the overthrow of Tarquin to the mythic Romulous.

Squidly:

You're right about the Tzars continuing the Julian Calendar. It wasn't until the Soviets took over in 1918 that they accepted the new (Gregorian) dates. The Russian Orthodox Church still retains the Julian dates, however. That is why Orthodox Christmas is on January 7th.

The overthrow of the Tarquins occured in 509 BC (245 AUC), and the first Consuls of the new Republic were L. Junius Brutus and L. Tarquinius Collinatus. This is not in variance with Livy... but the Romans counted the years from Romulus and the founding of the city, not from the establishment of the Republic.

Nice to know there are others out there with an interest in history.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homesteader wrote:
Interesting patterns in the smoke that look like faces. My problem is that the devil alway appears to me as super attractive, and seductive. Nothing like the faces in the smoke.

I agree with you, but when I saw this right after 9-11, I thought that satan had put his mark of approval on what those murderers did. It was an evil deed and evil's face was there.

I think satan would appear the way you describe when he is trying to influence and seduce and weasel his way into your life, but this is like his Good Housekeeping mark of approval on his evil minions work.

I still can't even imagine how anyone could possibly think that God would reward someone for this horrible cowardly act, unless the 72 virgins were Helen Thomas, Te-re-za or Babs Streisand to name a few.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JannDallas wrote:
homesteader wrote:

I agree with you, but when I saw this right after 9-11, I thought that satan had put his mark of approval on what those murderers did. It was an evil deed and evil's face was there.

I think satan would appear the way you describe when he is trying to influence and seduce and weasel his way into your life, but this is like his Good Housekeeping mark of approval on his evil minions work.

I still can't even imagine how anyone could possibly think that God would reward someone for this horrible cowardly act, unless the 72 virgins were Helen Thomas, Te-re-za or Babs Streisand to name a few.

I recommend you both go find a Legionaires of Christ and discuss this. Smile They are the warrior Catholics that do not mince the world and are more learned then any Ivy league professor you will meet. Also, these are the type of priest people on their death bed whom have never had faith and dying ask for.

Although I am not Catholic, if I were close to death these would be the people I call on here on earth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: