SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cahill Admits Underestimating SVPT Ads' Impact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Cahill Admits Underestimating SVPT Ads' Impact Reply with quote

She still doesn't get it! Disproved??? What was disproved???

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20041216/D870HQ4G1.html

Cahill Admits Underestimating Ads' Impact

Dec 16, 12:28 AM (ET)

By STEVE LeBLANC

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) - The campaign manager for Sen. John Kerry's failed presidential bid said Wednesday she regrets underestimating the impact of an attack advertisement that questioned Kerry's Vietnam War record.

Mary Beth Cahill, who spoke at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government with Ken Mehlman, President Bush's campaign manager, said the Massachusetts senator's campaign initially thought there would be "no reach" to the ad from Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Instead, the ad, which initially aired in just three states, became a central issue of the campaign, eventually forcing Kerry to personally deny the group's allegations that he did not deserve his combat medals.

"This is the best $40,000 investment made by any political group, but it was only because of the news coverage that it got where it did," she said.

"In hindsight, maybe we should have put Senator Kerry out earlier, perhaps we could have cut it off earlier."

Mehlman said that it was natural that the ad had the reach and impact it did, because Kerry decided to make his Vietnam record a central part of his campaign.

"Because Senator Kerry was so focused on that part of his biography, it came out as an issue," he said.

Mehlman but acknowledged that Democrats scored points against Bush, such as raising the specter of a draft reinstatement, which got the attention of young voters.

"I think that was something that worked. It wasn't true, but it worked," he said.

The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group of Republican-funded Vietnam War veterans who patrolled the same Mekong Delta in Swift boats similar to the ones piloted by Navy Lt. John Kerry, challenged Kerry's accounts of his medal-winning service and anti-war protests.

In the first ad, former sailors who served on boats near Kerry's in Vietnam said he lied about his war record. In a second, veterans criticized his subsequent anti-war activities. A third attacked Kerry for throwing away the medals he earned in Vietnam.

Cahill said the Swift boat ads show the power of news coverage, particularly cable news stations, which she said amplified the ads by running them repeatedly.

She said it was frustrating that the first ad continued to eat up so much air time even after the central allegations were debunked.

"For me, this was a very big change. The fact that it was disproved and it was still shown every day as part of the (campaign) coverage," she said.

Cahill said if she could change one thing about the campaign it would be the timing of the conventions. By scheduling their convention about five weeks after the Democrats, the Republicans gained a fund-raising advantage and dominated the news going into the final stretch.

"That was a huge hill to get over," she said.

Both sides agreed the debates were a crucial moment in the campaign.

Mehlman said he felt Bush was comfortable because he had gone through similar debates in 2000 and had gained confidence as president.

Cahill said Kerry practiced "mock debate after mock debate" and tried to avoid political zingers given the seriousness of the debates while the country was at war.

"This was not an election where 'You're no John Kennedy' was going to turn a debate," she said referring to a quip used by Democratic vice presidential candidate Lloyd Bentsen against Republican Dan Quayle in a 1988 debate.

Both sides also agreed that the Internet and other emerging news technologies have transformed the political process by making it more democratic and encouraging more people to become involved.

Admin note: Topic amended to reflect the content of multiple articles on Ms. Cahill's comments.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debunked ?? Debunked ?? The Swifties were never debunked. The liberals shouted back at us, but never proved their point. They would need Kerry's unreleased records to do anything.
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to tell you that I know many people who have misunderstood what the Swifties are all about, one was my husband. He thought it was just a bunch of Republicans that wanted to do harm to Kerry. I asked my husband to please sit down with me and watch Stolen Honor with me so he could understand what this was all about and it really had nothing to do with politics but with how these people were effected by what John Kerry did mostly AFTER he got back from Viet Nam. After watching it, he changed his mind and fully understands what you are so upset about and actually had some very strong words about Kerry's actions and basically agreed that of anyone you guys had the right to say what you had to say and thinks that his records should be opened up. In fact, after this, he thinks before anyone runs for the office that if they served in the military and was given a dishonorable discharge, they should automatically be booted from running for Commander in Chief.

Cahill is a close minded person who will never admit the truth because admitting the truth hurts their party and her candidate. But people like my husband will see the truth and switch over to your side. By the way, my hubby was never going to vote for Kerry before or after seeing the movie, but it greatly impacted what he thought of Kerry's character.

So don't give the Cahill's or people like that another thought. They have their own agenda and if yours gets in the way, they will say or do anything to discredit you and it is not only you they do this to. John Kerry's campaign reflected that, say anything just to get elected. Look at how they are classifying anyone who voted for Bush. We are just this horrible lot of stupid narrow minded people. What they don't see is that they are the narrow minded ones. It didn't work for them this time and if they keep it up, it won't work for them next time.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This is the best $40,000 investment made by any political group, but it was only because of the news coverage that it got where it did," she said.
What news coverage? Did the media ever ask Kerry to prove anything?
All I saw were the Swiftvets attacked as liars by
Little "Hissy" Mathews
John "McPain"
Bill "O'Really?"
and Ted "Goebbels" nightline.
Never one question about Kerry's LIES. Never asking Kerry to sign the 180.
Oh, I forgot, he said all his records were public and that was the
the end of it.

Thank God for the fortitude of the Swifties and the supporters of this
Forum. It was your dedication to TRUTH that put the doubt in the minds
of many voters on election day.
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could all see who is disproved, I got a message for Cahill:
Tell Lurch to sign form 180, and shut up already!
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEbunked?? Why did Kerry quit talking about it and even admit to 1 of the charges. He never answered the Form 180 question. The MSM kept going on the C-BS/ Bush papers thing even after that was shown to be a fraud. Mary Beth is is good company with Shrum. Losers that never get it.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two people who really underestimated the Swiftvets.
First, John Kerry himself. When reading Unfit for Command, I was
angered immediately by the Introduction--Swift Boat Veterans Reunion
in Summer,2003. The dismissive attitude of Kerry toward his fellow
vets that day as he swept in with his film crew and then left.
When it came time for Daly to recognize Senator John Kerry, present
earlier that day, as the man who may be the next President of the United
States, deafening silence followed. Even a single clap would have sounded like
a cannon. Daly, embarassed, said "I guess I laid an egg
with that one."

Maybe if the arrogant Kerry had stuck around for awhile he would have realized the depth of
animosity the vets felt towards him, and recognize
the threat they could pose to his upcoming campaign.
Bad judgement, John, they were going to stop you and you were
either too clueless or too arrogant to realize it.

The second person to underestimate the Swifties, was Cahill's boss
Ted Kennedy. He was Kerry's mentor in the Senate and encouraged
him to make the Vietnam Hero ploy central to his campaign. I guess
Teddy didn't think Kerry would be so dumb as to put his questionable
citations (three different Silver Star citations progressively altered??)
and questionably dated Discharge (all of which I believe Teddy used
his influence to get altered) on his website. Never dreamed the Swiftvets and NavyChief
would decipher and raise questions. I guess he figured (correctly)
that his Good Ole Boys buddies in the Senate would never investigate
or expose this abuse of power.
happyday
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet's on arrogant, with clueless running a close second.

See articles on Narcissist behavior. His still fits the bill.

Thank God we didn't hear "President elect Kerry" on Nov. 4.

Thank you Swiftees for all your hard work and dedication.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: