SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rough Men (from Russ Vaughn)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Faith
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Rough Men (from Russ Vaughn) Reply with quote

http://smalltownveteran.typepad.com/posts/2004/12/rough_men.html
Quote:
Rough men
Russ emailed to tell me this was on The American Thinker and give me permission to copy it. It's also posted here on The Mudville Gazette with some background information.
Quote:
Rough men

“Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” --George Orwell (with a nod to the Mudville Gazette)

There’s a character trait that’s decided by fate
Comes (sadly) to many, far too faint, far too late.
They won’t face the aggressor, stand up to his ire
They have not the will to fight his fire with fire.
So they bend over backwards to see all sides as fair,
Till they’re faced with dragon breath fire in their hair.
Like our brethren in France, who’d know better than we,
Yet seem never to learn, seem doomed never to see.

Yes, it seems there are some who’re determined by fate,
To possess not the courage to step up to the plate,
Who shrink from all threat because nothing’s worth war.
But how can they know lest they’ve been there before?
Thank God some have courage, the will, yes, the grace,
To stand for the shirkers, stand strong in their place.
Thank God we have stalwarts who’ll stand for us all,
Who will rise to the challenge at their nation’s call.

The faint-hearted, who fear, whose reaction is flight,
Have no comprehension of those who will fight.
To hide their own trepidation they attempt to demean
The rough men, who defend them, as barbaric, obscene.
Yet these rough men stand ready, hard weapons to hand,
To put placaters behind them, draw a line in the sand,
To preserve for the peaceniks what they won’t defend,
So their own unearned freedom won’t perish, won’t end.

To appeasers, rough men are coarse government tools.
To rough men, appeasers are dumb delusional fools.

Russ Vaughn
2d Bn, 327th Parachute Infantry Regiment
101st Airborne Division
Vietnam 65-66

USAF 1970-1974
Viet Nam 1971-1972
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was basically unaware of Russ Vaughan until a few weeks ago.

I am really becoming a fan fast. Very Happy
Bill Faith
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
I was basically unaware of Russ Vaughan until a few weeks ago.

I am really becoming a fan fast. :D

I know that feeling well. I've been fortunate enough to establish an e-friendship with him since I started blogging; not only is he very intelligent and (obviously) talented, but he's a very nice person in general.

I think you'd enjoy a visit to my collection of his works at http://smalltownveteran.typepad.com/posts/russ_vaughn/index.html. I have nearly all of his recent work and there's a link on that page to another blog where you can see most of what he'd written before I started my collection.

I didn't go back and copy everything I have to this forum when I started posting here occasionally but if anyone wants to take the time to copy Russ's things from my blog to the forum I have no objections and I know it would be fine with him.
USAF 1970-1974
Viet Nam 1971-1972
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny, I just caught myself. I thought that poem was written in the present scheme of time. I tasted those thoughts then, and it hasnt left. I will sleep well knowing many of our finest still think as we did.
Thank You.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To blue9t3 and all the swiftees:

There is an unbroken thread through our military pointing in the right direction. When I was in, during peacetime, I took my inspiration from you guys and from our fathers and uncles who served in Korea and WW2.

I was privileged to serve in Korea for two years (peacetime). Great people in the countryside there. I missed out on Grenada, the only "combat" that happened during my service because I got another assignment a few months before that balloon went up.

But you know what? When I was a platoon sergeant in the mid-eightees, I could see that the majority of the people in my platoon were serious professionals. I had very few slugs and dirtbags. We weeded out the druggies (pun intended) right quick and tried to mold the others in the right direction. All of us led by example. All of us platoon sergeants tried to compete with the best people in our platoons. Of course we didn't match them (kids 10 years younger), but we tried, and they understood what we meant and where we were coming from. They tried to get the better of us, and I often lifted weights with my guys after duty hours. They were trying to best the "old guy". I pushed them to try harder. Again, I wanted to keep faith with you guys who served in Vietnam.

The guy who got my platoon when I left, Vince, had a lot more experience than I had. He was an E-7, I was an E-6. I was privileged to have him as an example of reasoned, experienced leadership in my career. My soldiers were lucky to have him as their new platoon sergeant.

I was REALLY blessed to have a couple of company commanders, captains Reynolds and Jones (DLI 1985, 1986), who understood the importance of our mission and our duty, even as peacetime soldiers. Those captains were really bright and really committed. They led by example, they were serious about looking out for their soldiers, and they trusted their sergeants. Even the few loser druggie wimps respected our captains. Somehow, those two captains managed to avoid the mandatory lobotomies that senior officers get.

What I'm trying to say is, sleep easy at night, guys. Our military is in the same kind of hands as we left them in. Maybe even better. Remember Tillman? He gave up millions, plenty of tail, and a cushy life to get his butt smoked in Afghanistan. As long as we produce guys like that, no country can F*** with us and survive.

Last edited by DLI78 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
azTrish
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is, sleep easy at night, guys. Our military is in the same kind of hands as we left them in. Maybe even better. Remember Tillman? He gave up millions, plenty of tail, and a cushy life to get his butt smoked in Afghanistan. As long as we produce guys like that, no country can F*** with us and survive.

Amen,

Lotsa,

Thinks of it this way.. had it been left to the MSM to decide I hardly think we would have heard a peep of the likes of Pat Tillman.

On the very rare, scare, occassion when news gets out of a hero, a passerbyer, someone who happened along at the right moment or the others who simply step forward and take charge, whether from a burning building, an accident diving into frigid cold, to attempting to save a drowning victim and looses his or her own life. Sorry i cannot be more specific but we have all read or heard of an incident where someone stepped up.

Too far and few stories told in-between though.

At great peril and personal risk the ordinary people, such as those who stayed behind to help others in the 9/11 attacks.

The neighbor who beats off attacking dogs.

The kids who scream out and stand against the bully who is bullying another.

All the of us who acted at the right moment. No mtter how small the task may have seemed. It's what we in America are made of and the World just doesn't get.

Until you can put others (and believe me we all have it in us) before your own needs and safety (others, before what you want and cry about, is what a liberal will never get) you are just using up valuable air.

Sadly we don't hear or read of all the herorics in any town, in any city, at any moment in the good old US of A. Because mainstream media is too selfish and self serving to show an American, a soldier, a cop, or your neighbor in their true light..
It messes up their liberal and Euro mentality.

Trish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: