SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Save Our License Initiative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: The Save Our License Initiative Reply with quote

Save Our License Initiative
http://www.saveourlicense.com

INITIATIVE MEASURE TO BE SUBMITTED DIRECTLY TO VOTERS
The Attorney General of California has prepared the following title and summary of the chief purpose and points of the proposed measure:

DRIVER’S LICENSES. COLLEGE EXPENSES. PUBLIC BENEFITS. ELIGIBILITY OF ILLEGAL ALIENS. INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT. Prohibits aliens unlawfully in United States from obtaining: a driver’s license or government identification card; a college fee or tuition exemption; government grant, contract, loan; a professional or commercial license; or any other public benefit not required by federal law. Authorizes any state citizen to sue to enforce prohibitions, requires State to defend initiative, and provides costs and attorney’s fees to prevailing party. Makes any elected or government official who willfully violates the prohibitions personally liable for litigation costs, attorney’s fees, and actual damages. Summary of estimate by Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on state and local governments: This measure could have the following major fiscal effects: Potentially major one-time costs, with annual costs in the tens of millions of dollars, to verify citizenship or immigration status of persons receiving public benefits. Program savings to the state and local governments due to reduced expenditures for certain public services. These savings could be in the low hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

Section 1 - Addition of Article I, Section 26, to the California Constitution

Article I, Section 26, is hereby added to the California Constitution as follows:

SEC. 26. (a) The State shall not authorize or provide to any alien not lawfully in the United States, a driver's license or government identification card, exemption from nonresident tuition or fees for postsecondary education, grant, contract, loan, professional license, or commercial license; or any retirement, welfare, health, disability, public or assisted housing, postsecondary education, food assistance, unemployment benefit, or any other similar benefit to an individual, household, or family eligibility unit, unless those benefits or services are required to be provided pursuant to federal law.

(b) For the purposes of this section, “State” shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, the State itself, any city, county, city and county, township, public university system, community college district, school district, special district, or any other political subdivision or governmental instrumentality of or within the State.

(c) If any part or parts of this section are challenged in state or federal court, the State shall defend the legality of this section until all appeals have been exhausted and a final judgment is enacted.

(d) This section shall be self-executing. If any part or parts of this section are found to be in conflict with federal law or the United States Constitution, the section shall be implemented to the maximum extent that federal law and the United States Constitution permit. Any provision held invalid shall be severable from the remaining portions of this section.

(e) Any citizen residing in the state of California may sue for injunctive, declaratory, or any other appropriate relief to enjoin violations or to compel compliance with the provisions of this section. In any legal action to enforce subdivision (a), the burden shall be on the State to demonstrate that the benefits or services are required to be provided pursuant to federal law. The court shall award to a prevailing plaintiff or defendant, other than the State, the costs of litigation, including reasonable attorney’s fees.

(f) Any elected official or government official who willfully violates the provisions of this title may be held personally liable for the costs of litigation including reasonable attorney’s fees and actual damages.

If you are from California, please sign the petition!!

SBD
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It'll never get off the ground, Orville." I don't think it will pass but it looks like it was written with California's mentality in mind. I like that they specifically say if one part fails the rest is still good. That will have the liberals crapping their drawers.

If I see it I will definitely sign it. And when the libs brand me anti-immigrant I'll translate that for my wife so we can share another laugh at their expense. I had to prove I had legal residence to get a driver's license when I lived in her country; it's only fair imigrants have to prove legal status when they come here.

If you live in California and you see this, expect ads about how this is going to cost tens of millions a year (without mentioning annual savings of hundreds of millions). And how unfair it is to deny education to the children of illegal immigrants, thus perpetuating the underclass, yada yada yada.

You can also expect the majority of Cailfornia voters to get most of their voter information from 100-percent fact free advertising on TV.

If you come here legally and play the game by the same rules as the rest of us, then I say come on in and welcome. We've got plenty of room. Otherwise, don't let the gate at the border hit your butt on the way out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: