SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CBS Dan Rather
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: CBS Dan Rather Reply with quote

Well the official investigation is out:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/10/national/main665727.shtml

Here's my question, the articles says the following:
Quote:
“We deeply regret the disservice this flawed 60 Minutes Wednesday report did to the American public, which has a right to count on CBS News for fairness and accuracy,” said CBS President Leslie Moonves.

The panel said a "myopic zeal" to be the first news organization to broadcast a groundbreaking story about Mr. Bush’s National Guard service was a key factor in explaining why CBS News had produced a story that was neither fair nor accurate and did not meet the organization’s internal standards.

Well the last word I listend to Dan Rather say on the matter was the the story was accurate but the documents were flawed. These two statements don't quite add up to a boat which floats.

If Dan Rather is not unemployed by the end of today CBS is making a far grander error than they could possably realize.
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS Dan Rather Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/10/national/main665727.shtml

Here's my question, the articles says the following:
Quote:
“We deeply regret the disservice this flawed 60 Minutes Wednesday report did to the American public, which has a right to count on CBS News for fairness and accuracy,” said CBS President Leslie Moonves.

The panel said a "myopic zeal" to be the first news organization to broadcast a groundbreaking story about Mr. Bush’s National Guard service was a key factor in explaining why CBS News had produced a story that was neither fair nor accurate and did not meet the organization’s internal standards.

Well the last word I listend to Dan Rather say on the matter was the the story was accurate but the documents were flawed. These two statements don't quite add up to a boat which floats.

If Dan Rather is not unemployed by the end of today CBS is making a far grander error than they could possably realize.

What? Fire Saint Dan? I think you should check for a flock of bacon flying by your window before you see that happen...

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the link--
(CBS) Four CBS News employees, including three executives, have been ousted for their role in preparing
and reporting a disputed story about President Bush’s National Guard service.

Quote:
The piece was aired during a tight and hotly contested presidential race between Mr. Bush and Democratic challenger Sen. John Kerry. The timing of the story prompted charges of political bias against CBS News.

While the panel found that some actions taken by CBS News encouraged such suspicions, “the Panel cannot conclude that a political agenda at 60 Minutes Wednesday drove either the timing of the airing of the segment or its content.”

Quote:

After rushing the piece to air, the panel said, CBS News compounded the error by blindly defending the story. In doing so, the news organization missed opportunities to set the record straight.

“The panel finds that once serious questions were raised, the defense of the segment became more rigid and emphatic, and that virtually no attempt was made to determine whether the questions raised had merit,” the report concluded.

hmm..
it was rushed to air and
there was no attempt to determine merit

BUT -- there was no political agenda

ROTFL
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS Dan Rather Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:

Having waded thru all 200+ pages of the report, my reaction is one word: WHITEWASH

Last edited by rbshirley on Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CBS Dan Rather Reply with quote

rbshirley wrote:
Uisguex Jack wrote:

Having waded thru all 200+ pages of the report, my reaction is one word: WHITEWASH

I had another word, that incorporates the last two letters of the network's name...

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am furious!!!
This report is a CYA document to prevent any criminal charges
for seeBS.

http://scyllacharybdis.blogspot.com/2004/12/thornburgh-to-withhold-cbs-report-to.html

There is a BIG explanation of why no details will be made public.
Apparently Thornburgh was hired not to do an INDEPENDENT
INVESTIGATION but actually to make sure there are no criminal charges
against cBS et al.

Scroll down to:
What criminal liability is at issue? Plenty
Click on "plenty" for an overview of the criminal charges involved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FEDERAL CRIMES WERE COMMITTED!!
Firing a few employees doesn't make it go away.
I want a Congressional Investigation to get answers!!
Witnesses under oath, examination of phone records and computers.
Who forged the documents. What role did Joe Lockhart, Max Cleland,
and the Kerry campaign play?? The only way we get answers is to put
these people under oath with the threat of jail time if they don't
come clean.
Call or email your congressmen demanding a investigation!!!
This report is a coverup by lawyers PAID by CBS to cover their A$$es.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Republic link containing a copy of a purported SeeBS memo to employees....

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1317728/posts?page=101,34
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd boycott cBS, but the problem is that I haven't watched that
channel since Cronkite gave the TET win to the VC. That includes
all those Norman Lear "sitcoms" that made American prime time TV
the crock of feces that it is today. What I would really like to see is
the cBS White House Press Office moved across the street to a bench
in Lafayette Park...along with Helen Thomas. Somewhere along the line,
our press corps has shifted from reporting the news to being the news.
Maybe the DNC would take them in and give them office space.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Farmer wrote:
Quote:
I think you should check for a flock of bacon flying by your window before you see that happen...

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in September Representative Cox requested an investigationof CBS
scandal. It took me a while but I found the following posts.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:37 pm Post subject: CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATION TO BEGIN = CBS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATION TO BEGIN = CBS

Rep. Cox Requests House Rathergate Probe

A senior House Republican has formally requested a congressional investigation into an apparent criminal conspiracy to rig the 2004 presidential election by forging records from President Bush's National Guard service and having them reported by CBS News.........................

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/14/223720.shtml

And this quick click to email your congressman:
-
Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:17 am Post subject: Please contact your Reps about CBS

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

Please use the link to send your Rep an e-mail about the possible congressional investion by Rep Cox of California into action by CBS.

Call or send a fax to if you want to do it that way.

The public has a right to know who committed Federal crimes of
forging military documents, and committing fraud to influence a
Presidential Election.
Had it not been for the bloggers, CBS would have gotten away
with this hoax and I'm sure that many voters would have been
influenced by it.

Contact your own Congressman and Congressman Cox and tell him
we demand an investigation!!
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack, your "when pigs fly" illustration is priceless! I love it!
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I found that from a link thru here:

http://www.paperpino.net/automata.htm

I agree about the long term history of CBS.

Demographically there seems to be a limited set of us with a clear understanding of how Walter Cronkites coverage of Tet was one of the most costly examples of 'wagging the dog' as my life time has yielded.

Tet was THE last ditch all out effort of the communists. By the time TET had passed the communists had nothing left to give. They did cause horrific damage in tet but they expended all their resources.

By North Vietnamese historical accounts (I believe this can be found in Gen Giaps autobiography), they knew at this point they had lost the war.

That was until they saw the war could be won by further manipulating the highly biased US television press. They won the war with Walter Cronkinte, John Kerry, and Jane Fonda. Just ask John McCain.

Tonight though Bob Schieffer is doing a commendable job of trying to scratch some credibility back into CBS. He at least seems somewhat contrite.

Dan Rather had 'no comment' for this evenings CBS news.

Rather's particular skill in twisting a story is by way of his choice of diction and syntax. He consistently picks the oddest, most inflammatory words to put his little spin on almost anything that blathers out of his mouth. Rather Blather.

This is why tonight (I did watch the broadcast) I loved the little lyrical justice of a interview of a woman giving some heart rendering account of a natural disaster she'd just experienced.

Just as her story became universally compelling a very nicely designed FOX NEWS logo comes on to the screen as that was the only microphone in the video feed.

He, He, He... Dan does like his news to be lyrical!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerline offers an hypothesis on one of THE most intriguing unanswered questions...and the Swiftees are at the heart of it...

Powerline wrote:
Media Update

It's a little late to point this out, but I did a segment with Brit Hume on Fox News at around 5:15 CST, and was also on CBS News, very briefly. I haven't seen the CBS program, so I don't know what portion of the interview they used. The Fox interview was good, however, and long enough to get into some substance instead of a sound byte or two. Brit seemingly hadn't been aware of the Mapes emails, and thought they were big news. They certainly are one of the significant stories to come out of the Thornburgh report. The other thing I'd really like to know, though, is why CBS moved the 60 Minutes program up from the end of September to September 8. The Thornburgh report talks about this change, and blames it for the fact that the show was put together in too much of a hurry.

But why? Someone made the decision to move the program up; the report doesn't tell us who. I'll give you a hypothesis as to why it happened: the Kerry campaign was dying because of the Swift Boat Vets' attacks, and CBS was desperate--with or without explicit communication with the DNC and the Kerry campaign--to do something to stem the tide. To "change the momentum of an election," as Michael Smith emailed to Mary Mapes.

If that hypothesis isn't right, can someone give us another one?

Powerline - con't
scotty61
LCDR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit of a smoking gun that is being lost in the uproar over the "no political bias" deal.

"Mapes indicated in the April 1999 email that she had been informed that there was no waiting list for President Bush's TexANG unit at the time he entered. She posited the "darkest spin" that then-Colonel Walter Staudt, then in charge of the 147th Fighter Interceptor Group, deliberately kept these spots open "to take in the children of privilege...while maintaining deniability." Mapes told the Panel that she never found any proof for this theory."

By her own admission Mapes states that she found evidence that Bush did not need to have influence used in order to get into the guard. What did Mapes do with the information? Falsely twisted it to fit into her agenda and lied by ommission.

Since the TexANG needed pilots, Bush did not even need influence to get in and since he already had the points and permission to get out early, he did not need to take a physical to maintain a flight status that he would be unable to utilize. This in effect makes the story as dead as the dodo.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the TexANG needed pilots, Bush did not even need influence to get in and since he already had the points and permission to get out early, he did not need to take a physical to maintain a flight status that he would be unable to utilize. This in effect makes the story as dead as the dodo.[/quote]

What I've always wondered is, if the story was true...so what! In those
days all services were undergoing a huge RIF. All we needed was
more pilots in flight status drawing flight skins and milling around. Even
JefnK got an early out (or an early boot) as the case may be. It just
seems like a bunch of people running around waving their arms about
absolutly nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: