SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TICKETS TO THE WHITE HOUSE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: TICKETS TO THE WHITE HOUSE? Reply with quote

I hope to vacation in DC this coming summer and wonder if anyone out there knows how to obtain passes to the White House.My rep, Lamar Smith R-Tex's website advised that only groups of 10 are allowed in post 9/11. I have e.mailed a request for 3 to join/start a group but have not received a reply. I appreciate any help. Smile
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: TICKETS TO THE WHITE HOUSE? Reply with quote

wwIIvetsdaughter wrote:
I hope to vacation in DC this coming summer and wonder if anyone out there knows how to obtain passes to the White House.My rep, Lamar Smith R-Tex's website advised that only groups of 10 are allowed in post 9/11. I have e.mailed a request for 3 to join/start a group but have not received a reply. I appreciate any help. Smile

You might try the office of Senator Hutchison (email):

Tours@hutchison.senate.gov.

And, for Senator Cornyn, go to his web site:

http://cornyn.senate.gov/leftmenu_2/dc.cfm

Navigate around that page and you'll find a link for downloading a form for requesting tours. (I think Sen. Hutchison makes it easier!)

Hope this helps and good luck!

Schadow
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shadow, you are certainly correct, Kay Bailey's webpage makes requesting WH tickets easy. Very Happy
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommend going on either the FBI tour or the Money Engraving (whatever that bureau is called) tour. You can get that set up with your Congressman also. Those fill up pretty fast, so you need to call soon.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the white house is really a problem another thing to hit that most people don't realize is there is the eighth floor of the state department's diplomatic reception rooms. This takes some advance planning but is well worth it.

In many ways the antiques and art are better than in the white house.

call the state department.

I've been to the white house hundreds of times, on about five tours, and I can tell you unless you have someone taking you thru privatly it is kind of a let down. You wait for ever and once you are in you seem to allready be getting ushered out.

Other things to check out are The roof of 'the hotell washington' on a sunday or friday afternoon. You will likely see the copters taking the president to and fro from camp david. Also The Old Ebbits Grill and the Round Robin Bar at the Hotell williard. These are all serious 'old' washington haunts.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
.... there is the eighth floor of the state department's diplomatic reception rooms.

Recently, while the rooms were being refurbished, the art and antiques were sent out on a brief tour. They were at the Huntsville Museum of Art and were magnificent. Just about every painting you ever associated with the founding days were present. Agree strongly to add that to your itinerary.

Schadow
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If at the Hotel Washington after dark, go up to the Sky Terrace Room, a lovely balcony, with a view of all the 'lit up' monuments. A bit pricey. but the last time a small group of us (Cool were there, we ordered 4 desserts. They very willingly gave us spoons/forks for us to share--and they were large enough to share, also. Yum-m-m Exclamation
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did that come through as a smiley? I actually typed the figure eight. Duh!

note: 8+)=Cool...leave a space between 8 & ) or you can select "Disable Smilies" in the edit options for a post that inadvertently displays unwanted "smilies"
JannDallas
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course one of the most well known haunts of all in DC is Bullfeathers. They have great burgers too. That is up on Capitol Hill. Another thing you can do is drive around where all the Embassy's are and go see the National Cathedral.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your suggestions. I knew the folks on this site would be a treasure trove of information! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: