SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good Reply with quote

Goodness in an environment of evil

Quote:
The same nonconformism that led him to defy with decency the deliverers of death also led him to defy Communist authority
http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/01/25/news/globalist.html

No goodness, just evil
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-01/26/content_412208.htm

These things also need to be remembered.

note: URL corrected
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, again Welcome to the forum, I have read with interest your earlier posts.

I hope all is tolerably well in China. The news of today is the economy there is doing very well:
Quote:
BEIJING (AFP) - China's booming economy expanded 9.5 percent last year after 9.3 percent in 2003 in an indication tightening measures have not proved effective enough and more could be in store, data showed Tuesday.

This from here: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050125/ts_afp/chinaeconomy_050125081009

Your economy doing so well has allot to do with why Oil prices have gotten so high, demand is up globally. Dan Rather forgets to tell us this on a nightly basis for a couple of years now, we have problems with our 'Main Stream Media'.

About your two links here on the issues of genocide and anti Semitism, these are very grave days, testing the souls of all mankind.

Today I was astonished to read this piece on Ted Turner, the man who originally started CNN and a whole lot of 'cable' channels in the 1970's:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3tt.htm

Quote:
Ted Turner called FOX an arm of the Bush administration and compared FOX News’s popularity to Hitler's popular election to run Germany before WWII.

Turner made the controversial comments in Las Vegas before a standing-room-only crowd at the National Association for Television Programming Executive’s opening session.

His no-nonsense, humorous approach during the one-hour Q&A generated frequent loud applause and laughter, BROADCASTING & CABLE reports.

While FOX may be the largest news network [and has overtaken Turner's CNN], it's not the best, Turner said.

He followed up by pointing out that Adolf Hitler got the most votes when he was elected to run Germany prior to WWII. He said the network is the propaganda tool for the Bush Administration.

"There's nothing wrong with that. It's certainly legal. But it does pose problems for our democracy. Particularly when the news is dumbed down," leaving voters without critical information on politics and world events and overloaded with fluff," he said.

A FOX NEWS spokesperson responded: "Ted is understandably bitter having lost his ratings, his network and now his mind -- we wish him well."

In 1996, Turner apologized to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) for comments he made comparing FOX head Rupert Murdoch to Hitler.

Here is his apology for saying the same sort of nastiness nine years back:

http://www.adl.org/PresRele/HolNa_52/2828_52.asp

Quote:
Press Release Holocaust/Nazis
TED TURNER APOLOGIZES TO ADL FOR 'OFFENSIVE' COMMENT

New York, NY, October 2, 1996...Ted Turner has apologized to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) for comments he made recently comparing Rupert Murdoch to Hitler. ADL had written to the CNN Chairman that such inapt analogies "trivialize a profound historical tragedy," and should be avoided.

"I hope you and all those offended by this comment will accept my deepest apology," wrote Mr. Turner in response to the letter from Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director. The CNN Chairman said he realized his choice of words was "unfortunate" and "offensive," and he regretted the comment. Explaining his comparison "referred only to the way Hitler managed the news in Germany," he assured ADL "it was not intended to offend nor to trivialize the role of an individual who wreaked so much havoc upon the Jewish people."

The New York Post had reported last week that Mr. Turner referred to News Corporation Chairman Murdoch as being "like the late Fuhrer."

The Anti-Defamation League, founded in 1913, is the world's leading organization fighting anti-Semitism through programs and services that counteract hatred, prejudice and bigotry.

He made a vast fortune (Ted Turner), loosing most of his wealth after he sold all his television stations........ He now is blaming 'Jews' for many of the worlds woes.

History has proved this to be of the most squalid of attitudes, inevitably leading down a very dark path.

I then did a Google Search ( http://www.google.com/ ) employing the words 'Rupert Murdoch' and 'Jew'. This is what I got as a response:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Rupert+Murdoch++Jew&btnG=Google+Search]

I will not repeat what is said at this link above, however I will explain for you the link I've supplied above is a real live NAZI, today. Not fun stuff.

I think you will find all three of the following links interesting:

http://www.annefrank.com/1_life.htm
http://www.oskarschindler.com/
http://www.raoul-wallenberg.org.ar/english/wallening.htm
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this earth there are good men and women who will not rest idly as Evil grows.

You are conversing with a few of them here on this web site.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob51,

Nice try but I am a hawk which can see a rabbit while flying in the clouds. Either you knew the nature of this article and the pointed view it was trying to show or you were honestly trying to share with us what you believed to be a nice tale. I hope you meant the latter, but suspect by your earlier well written posts it is the former.

The article first pulls at our heart by having the man say,

Quote:
"Someone who does not know the difference between good and evil is worth nothing," he said. "In fact, such a person belongs in a mental institution."

But we quickly get to the meat of the article which the journalist is trying to convey when he quotes the man saying,

Quote:
"I was never a member of the party, and you had to be to get ahead," he says. "I do not belong to anyone, not even Christ. I do not like anyone to give me orders."

Ok so the author of this article has accomplished two things. The ability of people to recognize good and evil while at the same time not believing there exists a God, something of a higher authority then the individual. A individuals anthropocentricity as the view of the world.

So he helped a young jewish girl by finding a home for her and then keeping his mouth shut while making a new identity for her. Damn, kudos for you. Pretty damn easy in my book.

Throughout Europe in WWII the left has told us time and time again that all the jews became nihilists and lost their faith as if they were never that faithful to begin with. I have always had an issue with this. They WOULD NOT have gotten in the box cars if they lost their faith in God. They would have fought to the death knowing the end was near. Yet, here we have a story of a nihilist who helped the poor jewish girl 60 years ago. A guy who is such a nonconformist he couldnt stand to bear witness to god but sure does love his vodka.

Nah I do not buy into this article. When I see ******** I call it.

Bob51, better to be a hawk with values then a rabbit with pure liberty.

GenrXr Out!
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Why do you Americans find each other so "contemptible&q Reply with quote

Since we are pursuing truth here I thought to conduct a little methodological experiment. For all I know, your denial of this particular Holocaust story may be symptomatic of a broader denial tendency. Equally, given the need for journalists to have Holocaust stories at the time, what we read may be newly invented, as you suggest, for commercial purposes or be a politicised perversion of some original truth. As with veterans, I took my query to the source. The Internet and globalisation allows us these fascinating possibilities. Despiting trying to couch my query in the most neutral of tones, Mr Cohen views you as "predictable" and "contemptible". I may infer from the brevity of the message that he now also views me as "contemptible" in the same way as a fellow-traveller with Holocaust deniers. So there's an American paradox. Now he has something in common with his detractor.

Quote:
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: Any quotable comments regarding your article and a forum commentator's post?

Robert,

Thanks for writing. I find the response you have sent me to be at once predictable and contemptible.

Yours,
Roger Cohen

At 06:39 AM 1/26/2005, you wrote:

Dear Mr Cohen

I was very interested to read your article at http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/01/25/news/globalist.html and took the liberty of posting the link in a U.S. discussion forum which sometimes questions the background of particular articles. I hope you do not find it offensive if I ask for comment on the following response posted by one of the forum regulars:

===========================

"Nice try but I am a hawk which can see a rabbit while flying in the clouds. Either you knew the nature of this article and the pointed view it was trying to show or you were honestly trying to share with us what you believed to be a nice tale. I hope you meant the latter, but suspect by your earlier well written posts it is the former.

The article first pulls at our heart by having the man say,

Quote:
"Someone who does not know the difference between good and evil is worth nothing," he said. "In fact, such a person belongs in a mental institution."

But we quickly get to the meat of the article which the journalist is trying to convey when he quotes the man saying,

Quote:
"I was never a member of the party, and you had to be to get ahead," he says. "I do not belong to anyone, not even Christ. I do not like anyone to give me orders."

Ok so the author of this article has accomplished two things. The ability of people to recognize good and evil while at the same time not believing there exists a God, something of a higher authority then the individual. A individuals anthropocentricity as the view of the world.

So he helped a young jewish girl by finding a home for her and then keeping his mouth shut while making a new identity for her. Damn, kudos for you. Pretty damn easy in my book.

Throughout Europe in WWII the left has told us time and time again that all the jews became nihilists and lost their faith as if they were never that faithful to begin with. I have always had an issue with this. They WOULD NOT have gotten in the box cars if they lost their faith in God. They would have fought to the death knowing the end was near. Yet, here we have a story of a nihilist who helped the poor jewish girl 60 years ago. A guy who is such a nonconformist he couldnt stand to bear witness to god but sure does love his vodka.

Nah I do not buy into this article. When I see Bullcrap I call it.

, better to be a hawk with values then a rabbit with pure liberty. "

==========================

May I also publish your response, if any, as a posting in that forum?

Best regards

Bob
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: On predictable viewpoints Reply with quote

I found nothing in his original article "predictable". I found nothing in your response "predictable".

Can a third party educate me on whether this "predictability" is some byproduct of American politics and I am consequently unable to detect subtle semantic nuances in these polemics?

Or is it a rhetorical device in American discourse to disparage the views of an interlocutor as unoriginal?
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well This is funny or I am very confused. I sense there are more than a few 'tests' being run here.

Bob 51
The story is a typical story from the holocaust. As shown with the many links I supplied you, most notably these three:

http://www.annefrank.com/1_life.htm
http://www.oskarschindler.com/
http://www.raoul-wallenberg.org.ar/english/wallening.htm

also this film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092593/plotsummary

I sense the two differing responses are rooted in the 'mindset' of each individual responding.

The author of the article: Roger Cohen may have been a supporter of John Kerry for president and may have unwittingly taken in John Kerry's assertion that the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are all 'drunks and liars'.

I do not know if this is true. I do know his article is highly believable, a typical holocaust story.

There is nothing 'predictable' in Genx'S response at all, not with out some sort of prejudice. In physics we can predict when things may or may not happen, this is not so with individual human beings we have never met or spoken with.

Mr. Cohen’s response that this was 'predictable' makes no sense by any logical analysis.

Returning to GenX's Statement about the article being unbelievable. Those of us, I included, familiar with the full history of the Holocaust and the Anti-Semitism then and growing today are well acquainted with a highly developed propaganda war against all Jews.

At the root of this propaganda effort the inferiority of the Jewish religion is often exploited......... there are no simple answers to such issues and one must beware of those who assert there are.

Mr. Cohen’s article asserts the boy was a atheist. I dare say at that boys age and in his circumstances, he looking back on the experience 60 years later may well feel he was a atheist. The question is, is he a atheist today?

Who Knows? Mr. Cohen, by lack of scholarship or happenstance does not mention this in his article. Reporters have difficulty coming up with logical questions while dealing with their own host of prejudices. We are all prejudiced in some way or another, this by way of life experience.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a scientist, so I can appreciate the need to ask questions and to
sometimes be skeptical of such stories, but I am also a devout Christian
who believes that God is in control. Even in the midst of evil, His miracles
can take place. Anyone with knowledge of the Bible knows that God
often uses people who do not believe in Him to accomplish His purposes.

I have read many stories about the Holocaust, some of which are just
as miraculous as this one. I tend to believe stories like this until I see
evidence to the contrary, and I think it is not good to read too much
into the motives of other people - especially if we do not know them
personally.

True or not, Bob51, this was a heart-warming story about the goodness
that can be found in most people, although it may be buried under many
layers of indifference. I, being a product of the public schools, had never
even heard of the Holocaust until I discovered Leon Uris's books while
attending college. Since then, I have always been interested in this
period of history and have often wondered how human beings could be
so cruel to an entire group of people just because of their ethnicity.
We are seeing the same kind of actions in the Middle East today, and
this story serves as a reminder that "all it takes for evil to triumph is
for good people to do nothing". Thank you for posting this!
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read what I wrote in my post. My point was this article is meant to pull at our base emotions and sway our thinking to a particular point of view. I do not know who wrote the article, but I know they are fascist sympathizers by the way in which it is framed. The person who wrote this article is a communist and definately wants to get his secular anti-american point across and at the same time rewrite history. The people who helped Jews in WWII believed in god. They were people of moral clarity and not of the mindset of the fictional character in the article.

Disclaimer I shouldn't have to write, but here it is:
I want to re-emphasize, I believe this article to be a fraud and meant for a specific purpose. I believe the author made up the article to push his belief people can believe there is no god and yet be people of moral clarity in times of no morality. Well I have never heard of such a person other then from marxist propogandists. And I am talking about time as recorded by man. Name one such person. Not going to find it other then in this left wing BS article. Or another BS left wing article. Did the Holocaust happen? Damn straight it did and it was families like mine which ended it and when I see evil wicked articles such as this playing tricks on lazy minds it pisses me off.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's dangerous to generalise. Not all atheists are immoral, and to imply that is the same as a liberal saying that everyone who voted for Bush is a right wing Christian fanatic.

Athesists are just as capable of living moral lives (at least by the standards of what is considered moral) as the religious person, and anyone who has a friend or relative who is an atheist can recognise this. I think it takes more faith to be an atheist than it does to believe in God.

I think it's going a bit too far to imply that the article is a work of fiction, and to say that the only people who helped Jews were people of moral character, implying that (a) only believers are people of moral character and (b) if you're an atheist, you must be immoral.

The woman who was saved in this article was the author's mother-in-law. Reason enough for him to write this peice. The author is also Jewish. Now granted, a great many Jews are liberals, but not all of them. It would be easy enough to verify if the story were a work of fiction; just do the research. I simply do not think the author was pushing any sort of political agenda. In my opinion, he was simply writing a timely story about his mother-in-law and the person who saved her life.

Being conservatives, we tend to believe that our point of view is always right, and that the liberal is always wrong and leans too far to the left. Therefore, anything that doesn't agree with our point of view is suspect. But let's not forget that plenty of people who claimed to be God-fearing and moral also graced the doors of a church on Sundays during WWII and in the occupied countries...and yet did nothing to stop the slaughter. Think about it.

Maria
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: A little due diligence Reply with quote

Uisguex, (as in uisqebeatha - the water of life?), Susan, GenrXr, Maria
Sorry for the inability to pick up the important points you have been making since it's 1am here and I'm working to a deadline.
Since I knew nothing of Roger Cohen when I spotted the story, I had no way of assessing the accuracy or otherwise of the observations of bias.

A few minutes of search engine sleuthing gave me the following:

Quote:
PARIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 13, 2004--The International Herald Tribune (IHT) announced today that Roger Cohen, who headed the foreign desk of The New York Times since 2001, will now write a regular, twice-weekly column on European and international affairs for the IHT, starting in March, while also taking on the role of New York Times international writer-at-large.
Walter Wells, the IHT's executive editor said, "Roger's appointment will give a propulsive lift to the IHT. It is simply wonderful to have his intelligence, vitality and voracious curiosity at the table. He provides a deep intelligence and an authoritative voice that will make the paper, more than ever, obligatory reading for our sophisticated audience."
Under Mr. Cohen's leadership, The New York Times's foreign correspondents have won three Pulitzer Prizes.
Following a short leave of absence to complete a book on Germany, Mr. Cohen will take on the dual assignment of inaugurating the new political column for the IHT and writing for The New York Times Magazine and other sections of the newspaper on a range of subjects.
Mr. Cohen's appointment is one of a number of key editorial enhancements being made to the IHT over the next several weeks and months.
Mr. Cohen, 48, was named foreign editor for The New York Times in March 2002, having served as acting foreign editor since September 11, 2001. Previously, Mr. Cohen had been bureau chief of the newspaper's Berlin bureau, a correspondent in its Paris bureau, Balkan bureau chief based in Zagreb and its European economic correspondent based in Paris.
Before joining The Times in 1990 as a media reporter, Mr. Cohen was a foreign correspondent for The Wall Street Journal. In 1983 he opened The Wall Street Journal/Europe office in Rome as chief correspondent covering Italy and the East Mediterranean, reporting from Cyprus, Greece, Turkey and Lebanon. In 1987 he opened their office in Rio de Janeiro as chief correspondent/South America, covering Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Chile, Peru and Venezuela.
From 1979 to 1983, Mr. Cohen was a foreign correspondent for Reuters. During that time he was based in London, Brussels and then Rome, reporting on the European Community, NATO, Belgium, Italy and the Vatican.
From 1977 to 1979, he was a freelance journalist based in Paris. Mr. Cohen was also contributing editor to Paris Metro magazine and a contributor to New Statesman in London.
Mr. Cohen has written "Hearts Grown Brutal: Sagas of Sarajevo," an account of the wars of Yugoslavia's destruction published by Random House (1998), and co-written a biography of General Norman Schwarzkopf, "In the Eye of the Storm," published by Farrar Straus & Giroux (1991).
In 2001 Mr. Cohen won the Peter Weitz Prize from the German Marshall Fund for dispatches from Europe, an Overseas Press Club citation for a series on immigration, and the Arthur F. Burns Prize from the Foreign Office of the Federal Republic of Germany for commentary on German-American relations. In 2001 he was also awarded the Joe Alex Morris lectureship for distinguished foreign correspondence by the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University.
In 1999 Mr. Cohen was awarded the Overseas Press Club Citation for Excellence in the books category for "Hearts Grown Brutal: Sagas of Sarajevo," and in 1995 he won the Overseas Press Club of America Burger Human Rights Award for his investigation of torture and murder at a Serb-run Bosnian concentration camp. He received the Overseas Press Club of America Citation of Excellence for coverage of Third World Debt in 1987, the Inter-American Press Association Tom Wallace Award for feature writing in 1989 and the Ischia Prize for best foreign coverage of the Italian economy in 1986.
Mr. Cohen received an M.A. degree in History and French from Oxford University in 1977

Extract from http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=NYT&script=460&layout=-6&item_id=484311

I checked the Amazon reviews of "Hearts Grown Brutal: Sagas of Sarajevo" which make interesting reading with an average five star rating.

Reference at Amazon.com

Still no obvious clues to a non-American of which of your sides he is on, so I turned to the The Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC®) ( THE premier provider of DoD technical information. DTIC serves as a vital link in the transfer of information among DoD personnel, DoD contractors and potential contractors and other U.S. Government agency personnel and their contractors. DTIC is a DoD Field Activity under the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, reporting to the Director, Defense Research & Engineering (DDR&E).) I assume this would not be classified as a "liberal" organisation? If you read the very interesting article at http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/jfq_pubs/1525.pdf you will notice that Roger Cohen's biography of Norman Schwarzkopf is referenced without rancour as a respected assessment.

The ethical points you made were, however, much more valuable than this small exercise in due diligence. I hope to study the pointers Whisky Jack gave when I have a little more time. I did visit Anne Frank's home in Amsterdam back in the 70s and was shocked even then to see that her memorial statue was regularly vandalized by neo-Nazis.

Thanks

Bob51

Mod Note: edit to convert long url to hypertext
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am impressed.

Uisguex.... the original Gaelic Scots word for what we now call whiskey or as you say 'the water of life'..... The American Indians would call it 'Fire
Water'.

Spooky, spooky, spooky.

I am sure Cohen is a credible journalist, I know genx is a good well thinking guy.

To be clearer, for either of them to say these things were predictable is a indication of prejudiced and stereotypes. I don't agree with Genx's conclusions but I can see where he's coming from. He has a sharp eye out for communist operatives and some alarms have been going off.

Mr. Cohen I know little about. I'm surprised he would have been working with that link you supplied from dod? That is a very sensitive office, also I'm surprised you are aware of it. When it comes to research you exhibit great acumen.
Bob51
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: To fight or not to fight,… ? Reply with quote

Will taking up arms against a sea of troubles, and "opposing", end them?

Susan

You wrote:
Quote:
I think it is not good to read too much
into the motives of other people - especially if we do not know them
personally.

GenrXr wrote:
Quote:
They WOULD NOT have gotten in the box cars if they lost their faith in God. They would have fought to the death knowing the end was near

Growing up in the 50s, I read many books on the Holocaust and always wondered why, since they were doomed, they didn't fight with anything that came to hand. Then I read Juergen Stroop's soldierly report on his successful liquidation of the Warsaw Ghetto.

More recently, in fact this morning, I read these quotations from a Biblical commentator:

Quote:
"The venerable rabbi of a shtetl in Poland marched down the street with a Torah in his arms to welcome the storm troopers of the Third Reich because the old man recalled his own experiences during World War I, when German occupiers turned out to be far more gentle and generous than the Polish peasantry or the Russian overlords who ruled them. The rabbi's assumptions proved to be tragically wrong, and like millions of his brethren, he paid for his mistake with his life."

Quote:
"No one who was spared the experience of the Holocaust is qualified to second-guess the character or conduct of the innocents who found themselves in the grip of Nazi Germany and its collaborators. We may speculate on the lessons of history, but we are not entitled to blame the victims of mass murder for the tragic fate that befell them."

Quote:
"the resistance fighters who made a heroic last stand against the Nazis in the streets and sewers of the doomed Warsaw ghetto strike us as nobler than their fathers and mothers, sisters and brothers, who boarded the boxcars and rode into Auschwitz, even if the fighters ended up just as dead as the victims of the gas chambers. But the real question, the tough question, is not how to die but how to live, …"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: