SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tattoo’s the jokes on you, too bad it’s so sad.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Tattoo’s the jokes on you, too bad it’s so sad. Reply with quote

Tattoo’s the jokes on you, too bad it’s so sad.

From the south pacific Polynesian islands to the Maoris of current day New Zealand during the 18th and 19th century sailors from Europe met fascinating new peoples who decorated their bodies with ink. Often these sailors would have the indigenous people decorate their bodies as a badge of passage from the old world to the new world. All storage space on the vessels they ran was the space of King and Queen, so not being able to bring home trinkets, what better way of showing the world they had gone where no one else had then to be decorated by the indigenous peoples with their body art. The typical sailor who got tattoos was very poor and a conscript or enlisted class. Can you imagine the young sailor returning home and being from a poor class, yet the subject of attention by even the upper classes? These were the astronauts of yesteryear.

Which leads me to this past weekend and a beautiful young woman I met, we spent an hour talking and were having a great time when she stood up turned to head to the bathroom and there it was a gigantic badge of passage on the small of her back. I cringed at the sight of this, but more on her later. While she was in the bathroom I pondered how this became a norm for women today. Tattoos are the latest fashion statement among women and couldn’t help but think. What was their great passage, which lead to the inking of their bodies? Or is it just some hedonistic cultural phenomenon of our times.

I thought of Mike Tyson and his recent tattoo on the face which most likely astonished many people. I picked up on it right away as a New Zealand Maoris tattoo. It is said that every generation of the Maoris tribe from New Zealand was at war from their existence till WWII. These are definitely fighting people who Rommel himself thought of as some of his most worthy opponents ever faced on the battlefield. The Italians called them the devils and at one point after suffering a massive defeat to the Maoris, Rommel was so disgusted with the Italian divisional commanders that he removed their concubines and wine. Rommel used his Italian divisions against the Maoris and they often lost at 10 to 1 odds in their favor. Having proved themselves in ancient warfare the Maoris showed in World War II their ability to fight in a modern war and see how this would appeal to Iron Mike, but this is the problem. See Tyson’s passage the tattoo represented was his transition from the old warrior into the new, just as the Maori had accomplished in WWII going from tribal conflict to modern warfare on the deserts of Africa, but Tyson was never a warrior. A warrior must be intelligent, strong and skilled. Tyson can fight as well as anyone who can paint by number. As a matter of fact all of Tyson’s success in the early years was due to a fighting method designed by Cus D’Amato and Kevin Rooney where he didn’t have to think, but rather by rote memorization repeated the numerical combination issued to him prior to the bell sounding. 3,2,1,4,2,2,1,5,3,3,1 ok go do it Mike! Well I digress, but Tyson’s was nothing more then pining for that which he cannot reach. A return to his old self trained by the best and told by rote what to do.

Then I thought of the biker gangs of the 60’s and the 70’ and in particular the Hells Angels. I once asked my father why he never got a tattoo being from a family of navy men with great history and my grandfather who I was named after having a tattoo. My father told me “your grandfather stormed beaches and hedgerows with men who shared the same experience and this was the reason they got tattoos, whereas I spent 66’ aboard the destroyer Ticonderoga doing nothing more then sightseeing the world.” He said that knowing he was going to leave after 2 years; it would be stupid to get a tattoo of no significance which he would have to live the rest of his life with. He then told me about the Hells Angels in the 60’s and 70’s and how he detested how they had tainted the tradition of the tattoo as a warrior badge of passage. He said “these are criminals and share no bond of hardship or shared sacrifice; rather their bond is one of taking advantage of the weaker”.

Back to the young beautiful woman I was talking with and wondering, what was her passage which she was trying to convey by the tattoo on the small of her back? She just came back from the bathroom and I asked her “saw the tattoo you have on your back. Do you like it and what was the reason to get it?” She replied, “I thought it would be cool and sexy.”

I told her she actually had no clue why she got the tattoo, but rather was just following some strange trend she thought was cool, but was rather somewhat sick. My opinion of women with tattoo’s today is that without tradition and the heritage of a particular bond of brothers or sisters, these tattoos are nothing more then a mark. I told her I could never have a relationship with her because the tattoo she had was a mark given by someone other then me and as such there would never be anything meaningful between us.

I will not elaborate what the mark of the tattoo on the small of the back is because young ones read the forums, but I can guarantee you it’s not because the woman traveled the globe at the risk of scurvy and worse death. And as such most clueless women will continue to do this, but I hope the trend stops soon.

Last edited by GenrXr on Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Tattoos:

"...gee grandma, what's that gray blob on your back?"
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. Aaron wrote:
Regarding Tattoos:

"...gee grandma, what's that gray blob on your back?"

Smile
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing gets me about men and earrings.

A man wears in earring to signify having sailed around the Horn, this the most dangerous waters on earth. I don't think Ed Bradley sailed around the horn.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:
Same thing gets me about men and earrings.

A man wears in earring to signify having sailed around the Horn, this the most dangerous waters on earth. I don't think Ed Bradley sailed around the horn.

Aye good point.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gen'r, I bet you dont like make-up either! what ever tickles your fancy dude. You can have your 1800's looking woman, Ill take em the way they come.
As far as your opinions about Iron Mike go you might be a little right but he was the finest example of a fighting machine I have ever seen, did you see larry holmes in round three? did you see any of his victims that said a punch in the arm could knock you out?
Get real! you dont think this guy is a warrior?
Rolling Eyes
PS. I bet you think casius clay won the title 4 times Laughing
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Gen'r, I bet you dont like make-up either! what ever tickles your fancy dude. You can have your 1800's looking woman, Ill take em the way they come.
As far as your opinions about Iron Mike go you might be a little right but he was the finest example of a fighting machine I have ever seen, did you see larry holmes in round three? did you see any of his victims that said a punch in the arm could knock you out?
Get real! you dont think this guy is a warrior?
Rolling Eyes
PS. I bet you think casius clay won the title 4 times Laughing

Hmm, actually blue you do not know what a really tough man is. My father for fun would often find out where the Hells Angels were hanging out and him and my God father would go find them and at 30 or 40 - 2 odds would challenge them to a fight. My father would often say how he wasn't a fighter but it didn't matter Jim my God Father would drop them as fast as he could throw a punch. They did this as weekend sport. As for Mike Tyson, it is the biggest fraud ever brought upon us in boxing to think of the weak as warriors. I can guarantee you that there are hundreds of men in the army, marines, and navy that could clean his clock. There are thouands more of people just too well to do to show their strength for no need. We are a culture which has some sadly decaying trends and one of them is our knightship of weak people such as Iron Mike who is really weak. The fact is most people who can really fight do not fight. They can make a much better living doing something else. As evidence of this goto any midwestern town and see who wins at the golden gloves level at a young age, but gives up on boxing when they goto college.My God father once punched a man and his eyeball came out of his head. People just don't punch this hard anymore, but you can be guaranteed the air force makes sure your eye socket can withstand the punch of a man of old before you fly their jets.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I guess pre ww2 bikers were wimps! Laughing
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Laughing I guess pre ww2 bikers were wimps! Laughing

I like you Blue, and we are on basically the same page, but my point more then anything is there are really tough people in our country and we need to start recognizing them.

Like Marine Sgt. Peralta who laid his body on the grenade to save his fellow soldiers before dying recently on the attack on Fallujah. That is toughness.

My point is as a culture we have to re-prioritize the meaning of what is a tough and just person.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dont call me late for dinner!

GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
Just dont call me late for dinner!

Razz
ILUVTHEUSA
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXr,
I just had to reply to this since this has bugged me for a while. I am a mother of a 17 yr old girl and 15 1/2 year old boy. Since they are teenagers, they are influenced by the fads around them. I have told them both how I feel about tattoos as I, too, feel that it should be meaningful. I have never had a problem with "military" tattoos like my uncle's, who served in WWII (on the USS Ticonderoga), and lost his arm due to a kamikaze hit. I felt he "earned" his tattoos. But I hate to see all these meaningless tattoos just because they are the "in" thing. Thanks for sharing your opinion--it's great to know I am not alone. I think I will show your post to them tomorrow.

And, the earrings in men's ears bother me too.
~ILuvTheUsa
GenrXr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ILUVTHEUSA wrote:
GenXr,
I just had to reply to this since this has bugged me for a while. I am a mother of a 17 yr old girl and 15 1/2 year old boy. Since they are teenagers, they are influenced by the fads around them. I have told them both how I feel about tattoos as I, too, feel that it should be meaningful. I have never had a problem with "military" tattoos like my uncle's, who served in WWII (on the USS Ticonderoga), and lost his arm due to a kamikaze hit. I felt he "earned" his tattoos. But I hate to see all these meaningless tattoos just because they are the "in" thing. Thanks for sharing your opinion--it's great to know I am not alone. I think I will show your post to them tomorrow.

And, the earrings in men's ears bother me too.
~ILuvTheUsa

Thanks dear,

I hope it helps and I am sure your kids will understand what I mean by the mark. If they are keen they will realize my diatribe is meant to show just how dumb it is to get tattoo's because of a fad, and will realize it is nothing more then a mark to be laughed at by their peers.

Your uncle served on the same ship my father did Smile. The Ticonderoga destroyer. Today the Ticonderoga is a Aegis Class Cruiser, but your uncle and my father served on the old destroyer class one. And your uncles sacrifice was well known to all that served on the Ticonderoga as my father told me. Everyone who served on the Ticonderoga post WWII lived in the shadows of great men such as your Uncle.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once knew a girl that had a tatoo of a butterfly on her stomach when she was a teenager. After a number of years and a couple kids it now looks like a hila monster with lightning bolts.

I had a policy in my house, told my sons that the day they can afford a tatoo, they can afford rent. Worked good.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Your uncle served on the same ship my father did Smile. The Ticonderoga destroyer. Today the Ticonderoga is a Aegis Class Cruiser, but your uncle and my father served on the old destroyer class one. And your uncles sacrifice was well known to all that served on the Ticonderoga as my father told me. Everyone who served on the Ticonderoga post WWII lived in the shadows of great men such as your Uncle.[/quote]

Excuse me folks, but the WWII USS Ticonderoga CV14 was an Essex
class aircraft carrier not a destroyer. The USS Ticonderoga CG17 is
(was) the first of the Ticonderoga class aegis cruisers which is correct.
It used to be that you could tell what a ship was by it's name alone,
but nowadays they just seem to call them any old thing that comes
to mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: