SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bush,Kerry aides reflect on '04 election(Houston Chronicle)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Bush,Kerry aides reflect on '04 election(Houston Chronicle) Reply with quote

Jan. 26, 2005, 11:32PM
Bush, Kerry aides reflect on '04 election
Swift Boat ads, 9/11 dominated the race, they say

By ROBERT CROWE
Houston Chronicle

Quote:
COLLEGE STATION - An advertisement that questioned John Kerry's Vietnam War military service would capture a nation's attention during the 2004 presidential election, but the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks had a greater impact during the race, the manager for the Kerry-Edwards campaign said Wednesday.

"This was an election, from my point of view, that was completely overshadowed by 9/11," Mary Beth Cahill said at an election postmortem session at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library at Texas A&M University.

Ken Mehlman, who managed the Bush-Cheney campaign, emphasized how the "new media" of the Internet and cable TV networks, like Fox News, changed how people gather and disseminate information about candidates.

"Instead of having one place where everyone gets information, there are thousands of places," Mehlman said at the forum moderated by former President Bush. "Technology has broken the monopoly of the three (TV) networks."

Cahill said Internet and cable TV helped keep discussion alive about the ads from the group Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which questioned Kerry's military service.

Kerry's presidential campaign waited too long to react to attacks in the advertisements, Cahill said, adding that the campaign did not respond initially because the ads only appeared in a few small markets.

Mehlman said the Bush campaign focused on the timing of its messages.

Just after Kerry was nominated as the Democratic candidate, the Bush campaign chose to send out its message about Kerry's background while waiting until the fall to lay out the Bush agenda.

The role of independent fund-raising groups, including the one that funded the Swift Boat ads, also was cited as a critical component of the race.

The group was a 527, so-called by the section of the federal tax code that allows it to raise unlimited amounts of tax-free money for political purposes.

When students asked about the groups' future impact, Cahill said she doesn't see them disappearing anytime soon.

Bush said Wednesday's forum was a practice in "political civility," comparing it to the fund-raising efforts he and President Clinton are working on to aid tsunami victims.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/3011421

political civility indeed-- surprising on Cahill's part.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kerry's presidential campaign waited too long to react to attacks in the advertisements, Cahill said, adding that the campaign did not respond initially because the ads only appeared in a few small markets.

She's been peddling this malarkey spin from day 1 after their loss. My bet is there's several authors out there who are already busy at work trying to be first to the bookstands with a post-election analysis. Kerry will have every opportunity to respond, again, to the charges raised by SVPT...and his answer then will be the same as his last...divert, obfuscate, obstruct, smear and lie.

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
nutcase
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: So , little timmy rustey bucket get a "visit" from Reply with quote

So, I sent Meet the Press a cet. letter with escrow instructions

with certified funds attached , and a letter of "wager" were they

would loose only one of their legal scratch pads if they lose.

and I will loose the $1000. I sent if I lose.

Simple bet,,,, I say he will only ask,,, leading questions to

"enable Kerry to "trash" the current Iraq policy. ect.

And that he will not ask one question regarding Kerrys awards and

citations, or just when he will release his signed 180

I think I'm very safe with that bet.. as poor timmy is just another

subcontractor in the "Kerry lies" Corp.l

nuts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: