SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iraq Election Media Coverage
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Iraq Election Media Coverage Reply with quote

Well trrops, lets prepare for the onslaugt of negative coverage, endless clips of the few acts of violence at maybe 25 or so of 5000 voting precincts. I am sure there will be some deaths, but I think the Iraqis will be extemely happy to go to the polls

Elections will be brutalized as a dismal failure even if they equal Saddams record of 100 % turnout. The mediad stories have already been wrtten and ready to roll no matter what the results

I am willing to bet that the only place we see anything positive will be FNC
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living near a very large middle-eastern population near Detroit, our news coverage locally is pretty upbeat about it. According to election officials, the poll workers are applauding each time a vote is cast and the news is reporting it that way.
The state-side election process was thrown together quickly and polling places were/are not easy for dispersed Iraqis to easily get to. That has been the only real complaint.

Don't expect the cynical MSM to report or even realize the historic moment. They don't focus on Victories, they bemoan the costs.
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. Aaron wrote:
Living near a very large middle-eastern population near Detroit, our news coverage locally is pretty upbeat about it. According to election officials, the poll workers are applauding each time a vote is cast and the news is reporting it that way.
The state-side election process was thrown together quickly and polling places were/are not easy for dispersed Iraqis to easily get to. That has been the only real complaint.

Don't expect the cynical MSM to report or even realize the historic moment. They don't focus on Victories, they bemoan the costs.

I did see those clips from Southfield on Fox, Were they carried on PMSNBC and/or CNN ?

As a displaced Michigander, (Farmington Hills) I thought the largest mid eastern population was in (West) Dearborn, or was it just the polling place that was set up in Southfield
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iraq election Tidbits

Quote:
http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/01/29/a3.int.votekurds.0129.html
January 29, 2005
Voting Kurds shed tears of joy
By Jackie Spinner
The Washington Post
~snips
``I am very happy,'' said Faruq Nabil, 24, a laborer with thick black hair and green eyes. ``Since I was born, this is the first time I will go and elect the government. I want to thank Mr. George W. Bush for his efforts in making this happen.''

Sarbaz Qader, who owns a small bicycle repair shop, said he was overwhelmed with joy. ``I will vote, and I am not afraid of anyone, whoever he is,'' Qader said.

``We waited for this a long time,'' he said, his head wrapped in a traditional headdress. ``We've ached for this freedom. We want to be like the rest of the world.''

Quote:
http://iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/
Friday, January 28, 2005
Iraq the Model--Go Iraq Go!
~snips
The tyrants nightmare is becoming reality, now they will have to deal with the scariest word in their dictionaries; THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE.

The terrorists have challenged the bravery of the Iraqi people but they messed with the wrong people. The people have accepted the challenge; democracy and elections are not a luxury for Iraqis, it's an issue of life or death. And the terror brutal campaign has only made the people more determined to go on with the change.
>
On Sunday, the sun will rise on the land of Mesopotamia. I can't wait, the dream is becoming true and I will stand in front of the box to put my heart in it.
Mohammed.

Quote:
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/special_packages/iraq/10761428.htm
Posted on Fri, Jan. 28, 2005
Buildup to elections reaches battle-scarred Fallujah

By Hannah Allam
Knight Ridder Newspapers

~snips

FALLUJAH, Iraq - Fallujah is scarred by battle and brimming with anger, yet signs emerged Friday that the feverish buildup to Sunday's parliamentary elections had reached the chief battleground of Iraq's Sunni Muslim insurgency.
>
"I'm not convinced of the candidates, but I asked myself what harm was there in participating?" Ghazi said. "Is it wrong to give your vote? Is it something you deserve to die for?
Fallujah residents who said they'd vote offered different reasons. Rumor has it that American soldiers will pay residents who show up at polling places. Some said they'd vote as a stand against the insurgents who used to rule Fallujah, whom many blame for the destruction.

Especially reviled is Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the Jordanian militant who leads an al-Qaida-affiliated terrorist network in Iraq. In a new Internet posting Friday, al-Zarqawi's group called polling sites "centers of atheism and vice" and warned voters that "you only have yourselves to blame" for harm on election day.

Muneer Salman, a 39-year-old factory worker whose home was burned down in the November battle, walked the streets of Fallujah on Friday in search of precious gasoline. Along the way, he cursed al-Zarqawi and said voting was a way to get even with the militant, who has a $25 million price on his head from the United States.

"Zarqawi isn't worth what I paid for my shoes," Salman said, angrily pointing at his black loafers. "Is it legal to kill people for participating in an election? What happened to our families and our homes isn't enough for him? I swear by God if a voting center is close to my house, I'll go."

Quote:
http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=50179
The Union Leader
ANALYSIS:
Iraq vote has neighboring nations on edge
By MEGAN K. STACK and TYLER MARS
Los Angeles Times

~snips

If the violence isn't contained, a civil war could erupt, causing the nation to disintegrate along sectarian and ethnic lines and spreading instability through the region.

>
If the election succeeds in producing a representative Iraqi government, that may be the most threatening outcome of all - a direct, democratic challenge to the region, where kings, dictators and clerics traditionally rely on fear and force to hold onto power.

"If it's a successful election, then everybody will be scared of it," said Ali Shukri, a retired Jordanian general and longtime adviser to the late King Hussein. "If everybody tries to take the Iraqi model, there will be upheaval in the region."
>
U.S. and Iraqi officials are well aware that some neighboring regimes reap a degree of protection from chaos in Iraq; officials in both Baghdad and Washington have accused Iran and Syria of fueling the insurgency.

"They want to keep Iraq bogged down with an insurgency, violence and other troubles," Iraqi Foreign Ministry undersecretary Labeed Abbawi said. "We're trying to convince our neighbors that combating violence, terrorism and helping Iraq will, in the end, help them as well. For if this violence goes on, it won't be contained in Iraq, but will spread."

dcornutt
PO3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noted after the rocket attack in the green zone...only Fox reported that they quickly captured 7 people who did it. All others only used the casulty figures from the attack..nothing about capturing the insurgents who fired the rocket within mins.
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcornutt wrote:
I noted after the rocket attack in the green zone...only Fox reported that they quickly captured 7 people who did it. All others only used the casulty figures from the attack..nothing about capturing the insurgents who fired the rocket within mins.

This is quite typical - or I should say the rule
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just hoping the network directors who call which shots make it to air have all read Kundera's "The Unbearable Lightness of Being".

In this book set mostly in Prague before, during and after the ''Prague Spring'
We find the Journalists in their Zeal to record the heroes of the day, left a clear photographic trail leading straight to the leaders of the uprising.

The Govt. Used the intellectuals own photographs as evidence enough for serious time in the brig.

I just hope tomorrow that no one gets some brave voter killed by way of exposing too much personal information while CREATING one of those damn 'human interest' stories.

I pray for the poor Iraqi family Rather Seizes on to get chummy with.

Better yet the best thing would be of Rather, Couric, Jennings, Bill Moyers, Chris Mathiews....... With Jimmy Carter as their leader. It would be great if they did comprehensive coverage of just how it is these polls of Iraqi voters work. You know go door to door, maybe if they all just did a little exit poll work in felluja.

They certainly quote these polls as needed. I'd like them to show me 'up close and personal' how these polls work...

bad, bad me for such thoughts.
minnie presley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: elections and media Reply with quote

well chrissy on msnbc did not waste anytime, last night , he had some whacko on saying this would fail, nora odonnell was reporting from baghdad, saying that it was going to be a slaughter, that women will be going out with explosives tied to their bodies, as suicide terrorists, I could not stand to watch anymore, they are really sick, the only one reporting the real news is fox
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only watching Fox, just turned on the morning news and I am so very proud to be an American.

What a great, great day. This will go down in the history books like nothing I've seen before.

In America land of the free,
when it rains the voter turn out is less than what it looks like the turnout is in Iraq will be. Well who has more temper to their spine, Americans who whine about the weather, chads, voter intimidation or Iraqi's who've voted while bullets are flying around.

I just saw a shot of a elder woman.... maybe mid eighties to ninety, climbing up to cast her vote. The blessed expression on her face was like a three year old girl getting her first look at the inside of a cotton candy machine.

Thank you to each and every Soldier, Sailor, Marine and Flyer who made this possible.

It will be interesting to see how you can put a negative spin on this.
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spin doctors in MSM are saying only a 65% turnout ? 65% when people are trying to kill you when you go to the polls? Imagine what our voter turnout which is about that or a little more then that would be if people were trying to kil you on the way to the polls.
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how you can put a negative spin on this.

Easy - just be a Demoncrat
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OIMedia can’t deny the pictures traveling ‘round the world

Yahoo News has hundreds of pics & slideshow…
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index2&cid=1573

A freeper has gathered 100 pics to one thread
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1331819/posts

Hard to look at some of these without choking up

Shove that in the face of the bloviating Teddy K, Skerry and others

Seems the Iraqis have given the terrorists the finger Wink

more here….on that theme
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1331723/posts
RogerRabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is bless those young warriors that gave their life for this and those still there in harms way. I am one American amongst utterly millions, the majority, that is truly proud of them to the point of tears in my eyes

Can you imagine this just a few short years ago

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was flipping through the channels this morning to see what the
spin was. I heard the most ridiculous statement!! I think it was ABC
reporter said : now, with the polls closing the report is that there was a 72% turnout. But you have to take this with a GRAIN OF SALT because
in the last election they reported a 100% turnout to elect Saddam Hussein.

WHAAAT????
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
because in the last election they reported a 100% turnout to elect Saddam Hussein.
That has to go down as the most idiotic statement so far. Iraqis had to vote for Saddam under threat of personal harm, on a ballot already marked with a "X". Do you recall which reporter?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: