SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baghdad Mayor: Erect Statue for President Bush...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Baghdad Mayor: Erect Statue for President Bush... Reply with quote

PRO-U.S. MAYOR HAS TARGET ON HIS BACK

By JOSH WILLIAMS

BAGHDAD — The man replacing the mayor of Baghdad — who was assassinated for his pro-American loyalties — says he is not worried about his ties to Washington.

In fact, he'd like to erect a monument to honor President Bush in the middle of the city.

"We will build a statue for Bush," said Ali Fadel, the former provincial council chairman. "He is the symbol of freedom."

Fadel's predecessor, Ali al-Haidari, was gunned down Jan. 4 when militants opened fire on his armor-covered BMW as it traveled with a three-car convoy.

Fadel said he received numerous threats on his life as the council chairman, and expects to get many more in his new post.

"My life is cheap," Fadel said. "Everything is cheap for my country."

As Iraq prepared for a volatile election that is being watched across the world, Fadel heaped praise on the United States.

Fadel acknowledged that many in his country appear ungrateful for America's foreign assistance. He said most Iraqis are still in "shock" over the changes, and need time to adjust.

Any public monument to Bush is likely to further incense terrorist forces, who have attacked American troops and their supporters for months.

Fadel said he is undaunted.

"We have a lot of work and we are especially grateful to the soldiers of the U.S.A. for freeing our country of tyranny," Fadel said.

As for his own protection, the new mayor will be traveling in a new $150,000 SUV complete with bulletproof windows and flat-resistant tires

SBD
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see a statue honoring the U.S. armed forces delivery of liberty.
Sort of like some of the statues down at 'the Wall' in D.C.

One of the more gripping scenes of the election for me yesterday was a shot of a IED being detonated and you can see a U. S. Soldier grabbing a kid about three feet tall and running him to cover. That's what it's all about for me.

Compared with the Footage of French soldiers I saw from the Ivory Coast a month back, it is a very different picture of who it is on this earth who really does help those in need.
Doc Farmer
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:

One of the more gripping scenes of the election for me yesterday was a shot of a IED being detonated and you can see a U. S. Soldier grabbing a kid about three feet tall and running him to cover. That's what it's all about for me.

Compared with the Footage of French soldiers I saw from the Ivory Coast a month back, it is a very different picture of who it is on this earth who really does help those in need.

As much as I like Dubya, I have to agree with Jack here. A statue honoring the liberators of Iraq would be much more appropriate.

Fat, Bald and Ugly - And PROUD Of It!
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:

I agree, but people in the middle east have a cult of personality complex and most likely there will be a statue of one man thus Bush instead of a symbolic statue like the Iowa Jima raising of the flag.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: