SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geraldo gets it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Geraldo gets it... Reply with quote

Via Powerline , an absorbing short video from johnny dollar's place gleaned from Geraldo Rivera's live broadcast on 1/30.

johnny dollar's place - Geraldo Video
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never really cared for Geraldo until he started with FOX. I know
that he got into trouble with some of his reporting during the war, but
I could really sense his admiration for the troops and for the great job
that they were doing. For a liberal, he wears his love for America "on
his sleeve". I am not surprised at his reaction to election day in Iraq.
MSeeger
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to stop calling them insurgents and start calling them what they really are: terrorists.

Maria
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Rivera. Liberal or no, this is pretty inspired reportage, at least to me...

Quote:
Iraq, The Vote: 'One of the Most Amazing Things I've Ever Seen'
J$P Instant Transcript! Geraldo Rivera on the first hours of voting.

From 24 Hours in Iraq: Decision Day, January 30 2005:

GERALDO RIVERA [FOX NEWS]: I don't want to overstate, because I'm very emotional right now. Because I was in that town, just behind me. These GIs have done it, they've created an environment, despite the explosions, despite all the news you've heard of the suicide bomber, snipers, this and that. In this town, in this community, with 15,000 registered voters, we have just returned from the polling place. It is absolutely packed. Roll the video. There are men, women, families coming. They are casting their ballot for the first time. It was so inspiring. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen in my entire life. It really is like the Berlin Wall going down in 1989. It really is like the beginning, like the dawn of the civil rights era, when black people could vote for the first time. It is the most amazing sight. Only a hard-bitten cynic, only a person with absolutely no upside to their feeling of optimism, could look askance at what is happening, truly happening today. People are applauding themselves, they look like Rocky coming out of the polling place. There are women voting for the first time, and it's just the most incredible thing. It's so heartwarming to see it.

RIVERA: Now this is a mixed Shia and Suni town. I didn't ask the religion of the people who were voting. I assume just by the news stories you've all heard that most of the people who are voting are of the Shia branch of the Muslim faith. I don't know that for sure. But go to the video of the polling place, because that's where the people are. They're inside. They're voting, they're on line...they're going through a process that--look at that--these people, remember, ladies and gentlemen, they never voted in their life. They never had the right to vote in their life. Now they have a democratic choice. Now they can select which candidate they want for that legislative assembly that will go on to pick candidates and have a permanent Prime Minister and draft a constitution. And so this once-dictatorship, one of the most brutal regimes on earth, can join the family of civilized, democratic nations. I'll tell you folks, it is an amazing, amazing feeling.

RIVERA: I don't know the turnout nationwide. I don't want my enthusiasm to be disguised as a comprehensive report on exactly what the turnout is. I don't know what the flaws are. All I know is what I saw with my own eyes. What I saw with my own eyes were the people of this community turning out to vote, turning out in droves....I tell you, the job they did, it's--they've created an environment stable enough so that these people--not only are our GIs heroes, each one of these voters is a hero. Remember what they have been threatened with. Remember what they have endured. Remember the people who have been beheaded. Remember the threats that if you come out today, this is your last warning, you're going to be killed, your family is going to be killed. Well look at them. They're turning out anyway....

RIVERA: There was a vehicle-born suicide bomber that didn't detonate. The people of the community started pounding on the car with their shoes to show their disdain for the anarchists, these malevolent anarchists. They have no agenda other than disruption. They have no agenda other than chaos and their own self-aggrandizement. It's just amazing....There are the explosions, there's no doubt about it, in the background, the occasional fire, but that's not the news. Yes, it's the news of course, but the real news is that despite everything they are going to cast their ballots. It's incredibly heartwarming....

RIVERA: When I went with these guys to the polling station, they stopped about two blocks away. They would not go. They didn't want it to seem as if it was American military might that was pulling this whole thing off. They stayed two blocks away. We walked up to the polling place, first the Iraqi Army, then the Iraqi cops inside. You had a feeling in there, a kind of almost family feeling in this community....An exciting day, an historic day here in Iraq. It is the dawn of freedom....You folks who live in the United States who are watching this, just be proud. Be proud of this. This is amazing. This was inconceivable, wasn't it, during the days of Saddam Hussein. Look how far this country has come. It will heal its wounds. The terrorists are going to lose.

johnny dollar's place
Jarhead
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Geraldo was with MSNBC, he was Bill Clinton's biggest apologist during the impeachment trail, to the point that it was nauseating. He is still a flaming liberal, but one that I believe has finally seen the light as far as going out of his way to hide his liberal bias. I don't much care for him but I give him kudos for how is is covering the war. If only the rest of the liberal (old media) media would be more balanced we would have a completely different picture.

"I am a bold Internationalist, I will only disperse American troups around the world at the discretion of the United Nations" - John Kerry

$UCK THE CORRUPT UNITED NATIONS - I am a Jarhead and I approve this message
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to Gerardo's apologies of the past..... his own history is full of his having a damn too good of a time and there are many, many corroborated tales which would leave anyone in his position apologizing for Clinton like sexual misbehavior.

This said, his experience of 9/11 is much more compelling. Remember he was the mayor of the town in N.J. which lost the most per capita public servants than any other. For me listening to his tale of metamorphosis and the same for David Horowitz is more than enough to cut him a very wide berth when it comes to condemning him for his past.

These reports above are fantastic stuff.

I think how each of us reacts to the wonderful reality of the election this past Sunday is a decisive Litmus test of ones view of the United States place in the world.

I am wary of anyone who is not moved by the clips and still shots of what is the greatest sight since the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Who could have a dry eye? Not me.

By contrast, I stayed up late last night to watch as much Arab news as Possable. It was fascinating. They were clearly trying to put as negative a spin on everything as possable. However one female anchor from Jordon could not conceal the joy on her face while giving the report.

I could'nt have imagined anyone saying 'Election' more times in five minutes. She seemed to like the thought of this 'Election' thing, even though it as born of the evil satan.

The only person I've seen do this so well was John Kerry on MTP saying 'i have a four point plan'.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uisguex Jack wrote:

This said, his experience of 9/11 is much more compelling. Remember he was the mayor of the town in N.J. which lost the most per capita public servants than any other. For me listening to his tale of metamorphosis and the same for David Horowitz is more than enough to cut him a very wide berth when it comes to condemning him for his past.

These reports above are fantastic stuff.

Good points all Jack, and I'm totally in agreement that 9/11 had a profound impact on Rivera's psyche and his political instincts. I think, perhaps, it may have laid part of the groundwork for his move to Fox.

I must admit that he began to win me over with his position that "OJ did it" during his daily coverage of that judicial debacle on, I think, CNBC.
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan R. Morton got it right when she said about Geraldo:
Quote:
I could really sense his admiration for the troops and for the great job
that they were doing.
I sense the same. When they call him "Sir," he tells them good naturedly, "Knock off the Sir stuff" I was a Private. He also gives them an opportunity to say something on air to their loved ones and tries to bring positive news from home rather than the doom and gloom presented by the liberal media.

While my No. 1 hero in respect to all this is Col. Oliver North, Geraldo has gained a lot of ground recently.

On the other end of the scale is Ted Kennedy -- he insults our troops while falsely claiming to support them.

Nalt
Bystander
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really figure out Geraldo. I, too, was impressed with his reporting on the election. Didn't plan to watch it but just couldn't press that "OFF" button. Then he goes in the opposite direction with his 'exclusive' interview Question with Michael Jackson!
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Geraldo! He loves himself way too much.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
LimaCharlie
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back when Geraldo Rivera was still Jerry Rivera.
msindependent
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geraldo is a joke, but he does love his country. That's the only good thing I can say about him.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Geraldo is typical of many of the swiftvets, in that country comes before ideology. If the MSM and BOR were honest brokers of information they would have paid some attention to the number of Democrat Swiftvets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: