SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State of the Union

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tex
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: State of the Union Reply with quote

Absolute home run, if you ask me. I think David Frum summed it up well:

"Double or nothing: that was the theme of the president's dazzling speech. Bold, bold, bold – bold on social security reform, bold on controlling the growth of government, bold on legal and tax reform, bold in daring to mention nuclear energy, bold on social issues including marriage, bold on judges, and bold on foreign policy and the war on terror...

...There will be periods of weeks or even months when the gravity of government seems to pull him down, when the energy and imagination of the best hours of his government seems to have seeped away. And then there follows a moment like this speech, when this president surges back into action and his government regains its gravity-defying momentum."

baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubya made a fine speech. I don't always agree with him on everything, (especially the illegal alien situation and the porous mexican border), but I trust him to do what he thinks is the right thing to do.

But this crusty, harda**, cynical, old retired Chief Petty Officer almost..................I stress almost ..........had to reach for the kleenex box when the mother of the KIA trooper (the same one a**hat Peter Jennings featured in his funeral piece on inaugeration night) and the Iraqi lady went into the mutual clutch and commenced to bawl on each others shoulders.

"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Tex,

One of the biggest things to me was the reduction or elimination of 157 govt agencies. Wow, that would be relief.
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially enjoyed this statement by the President
Quote:
We are in Iraq to achieve a result: A country that is democratic, representative of all its people, at peace with its neighbors, and able to defend itself. And when that result is achieved, our men and women serving in Iraq will return home with the honor they have earned.
I was amazed after the address when leading Democrats said the President failed to annunciate an exit strategy.

Which speech were they watching?

Nalt
rparrott21
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victory is the exit strategy..
MLB
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which speech were they watching?

I guess we all know it was the one their blind eyes couldn't see, and their deaf ears couldn't hear, because of their totally closed minds.

Of course - the political enemy cannot bare to acknowledge anything positive about President Bush - so to them it wouldn't have made one bit of difference what he would have said about anything. Those who are so completely consumed by ideology, and by their intense fear of loosing their own power and control, will criticize anything and everything he says and does, so as to not appear to be in harmony with him. And maybe that's a good thing if it continues to backfire, though it does make me cringe worrying about the things they say causing undue negative effects on the morale of our military. If they really cared about our military personnel - they'd zip it! Evil or Very Mad
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
...One of the biggest things to me was the reduction or elimination of 157 govt agencies...

I haven't read the transcript but I think I remember it as 157 govt programs. Agencies would be better but something is better than nothing.

Schadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: