SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hannity bashes Free Republic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MassInd
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Hannity bashes Free Republic Reply with quote

I guess Sean said they were being taken over by a bunch of fringe people, and that they eat their own (hypocritical?)

Quite the thread going on over there. By the time I read one page of comments, there are about 80 new ones.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1344622/posts

They think he said this to promote his own forum on his site. I think it's a big mistake on his part to alienate a huge number of viewers. Let's hope he hasn't turned into a self serving BOR.

Edit:
Here's a clip to audio of what Sean said:

http://www.freepgs.com/mcgruff/audio/HannityOnFR.mp3

Yep, he was promoting his own site by trashing FR. Crying or Very sad

p.s. ( Send it in when you sign it.)

"This is the best election night in history." --DNC chairman Terry McAuliffe, 2 November 2004, just before 8pm EST
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'll come out of the closet.

Sean Hannity is just about the LAST person I would nominate as an icon of conservatism. He is intellectually shallow, frankly an embarrassment to listen to when he's up against some serious opposition and is, IMHO, about the promotion of ONE thing ONLY...Sean Hannity.

His support of the Swiftees was tepid, at best, and I felt he used a relatively few SVPT appearances on his shows, both radio and TV, as a means of boosting his own ratings with little in-depth probing of the enormous issues which SVPT presented.

There. I've said it. I feel much better.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned on Hanity just long enough to hear his whole spiel on the 'freepers'.

He was clearly motivated by 'selling' his web site. This was very Odd. Liddy sells his calendars and that's fine with me, but I was really quite put off by this whole attack on the Free Republic..

He also has a habit of 'taunting' callers from time to time...... essentially he can be pretty outright rude. This is a divisive thing to do.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY that is Funny! I just went to the free republic site for the first time ever and got quite the hoot!!

The thread about this is hillarious.... mind you I didn't read all 1400 posts What I did read was written with a sense of humor.
srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not hear Sean's show today because I was teaching a class, so I
probably should not even comment on this thread. In addition, I do
not frequent Free Republic so I have no idea what the content is.

Having said that, I have to rise to the defense of Sean Hannity. From
the very beginning of the 2004 election season, he realized that all of
us had to do everything in our power to work for the re-election of
President Bush and I don't think anyone could have done more than
he did - up until the Swifties came up with their brilliant ad campaign.
I never heard him say anything negative about the Swifties and he
had them on his show as much as anyone else did.

As far as his not being conservative enough, I would remind everyone
of Ronald Reagan's admonishment not to speak ill of another Republican.
He may not be conservative enough for some people, but, IMO, Savage
Nation and World Net Daily can sometimes get almost reactionary. I
am a very conservative 50+ woman, but at times I just have to
change the channel when their rhetoric gets too much for me. Those
that we want to influence can be easily turned off when what we want
them to do is keep listening until they "see the conservative light". There
are some people that fault President Bush for not being conservative
enough, but he is an honest, moral, steadfast, Christian man and we
should all thank God that He has led him to the office of POTUS for
such a time as this. Whatever his faults, he is a thousand times better
than any Democrat (except Zell Miller, of course).

As far as promoting his book, I don't think you can fault Sean for that
either. Rush did it. Laura did it. Mark Levin, a true conservative, has
been on every show you can think of lately promoting his new book.
Of course, BOR does it shamelessly every night when he sends a
signed copy of his latest book to the writer of one of the emails he
reads on his show.

I think instead of being so critical, we should all thank God that we do
have so many alternative conservative voices to choose from now. It's
a far cry from when Rush was just one lonely voice in the wilderness.
It makes me so upset when people criticize FOX for not being conservative
enough. It is so wonderful to have one network that at least tries to
be "fair and balanced". If you want to really appreciate FOX, try
watching "The Capitol Gang" on CNN or the political wrap-up on PBS
with Mark Shields and David Brooks. Mark Shields is soooo biased I
can barely stand to listen to him and David Brooks is a poor excuse for
a conservative. It makes me very appreciative of FOX.
joe_madeup
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Hannity almost every day from August through November. He promoted/helped the Swift Vets at every conceivable opportunity. John O'Neill was practically a regular. Maybe Hannity does talk over his guests too much and keeps pushing certain talking points, but deal with it.
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the fine points about hannity's attributes, they are many and I am grateful. I agree he did play a large role in defending the nation for the two years leading up to the election. This said..... the stuff he was doing on his show yesterday was outright bazaar.

Than again, I've never looked at the Free Republic site till yesterday..... maybe he's right in what he said, I don't know.... I'll be looking more at it soon. I have for the past eight years been personally attacked as a 'FREEPER' and a disciple of RUSH...... neither of which I'd ever consumed as news inputs. Didn’t know what the tarnation a Freeper was.... but figured by way of the source of the attacks on me, they couldn’t be all bad.

I'm gonna keep an open mind and make a point of listening to his show today to see if there is any illumination on the topic. To be sure I've said stuff that in retrospect seems pretty ridiculous..... (maybe twice in 45 years!!.... well maybe at least once a day every day for 45 years)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of Hannity, I think what he was referring to is the fact that
many long time members of Free Republic have been banned from the forum.
Remember Sean said "Almost everyone I know has left the forum."
Apparently, the owner of the forum is an absolute supporter of
"open borders".
Whenever anyone posts a comment supporting strict
immigration policy they are immediately banned from the forum.

It appears that anyone who disagrees with the President's immigration
policy is kicked out of the forum! What happened to Freedom of Speech
on Free Republic??? Hypocritical if you ask me.

As you know, Hannity himself has said he cannot agree with the President
on this issue of immigration policy.
I think Sean has seen people he knows kicked off the forum for
expressing their objections and therefore made the remarks about
the 'fringe takeover' at Free Republic.

http://www.alipac.us/article-206-thread-1-0.html
nutcase
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: SHAWA WELL SAID Reply with quote

AS ONE WHO HAS SEVERAL "AWARDS AND CITATIONS" I CALL

BANNED

YES YOU SAY CLOSE THE BORDER AND RIGHT THERE YOU BE GONE

SO I WATCHED AND DID IT BIG TIME AND "ZIP" I GOT ANOTHER

BADGE
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, I think I'll come out of the closet

Coming out of the closet too...LOL
As a registered Freeper

general comment as far as Hannity's remarks -vs - the freepers --
people of any groups, in any forums, never see eye-to-eye on every issue... ..and just perhaps, the banning comments may have been overstated

MHO -absolutely a great group of ppl over there
CandiM
LCDR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on Hannity quite awhile ago--Used to like him a lot, but in my opinion (and I don't pretend that it's anything else) he's become an arrogant blowhard and not a good representative of conservatives or Republicans--I recall one of his shows before the election.......one of the live ones from his book tour.......where he managed to get some poor guy who admitted at that point to being undecided as to who he would vote for up on the stage and browbeat him for about 10 minutes to promise to vote for Bush--Now, I wanted to see the President re-elected as much as anyone, and I did my share of campaigning and talking to people about the issues, but I think that bullying someone that way and/or demanding that someone publicly promise to vote for someone because I think they should is just plain wrong--As is his domineering and often rude treatment of his guests--

I think Hannity's heart is in the right place but I also think that he wants to be Rush, and he never will be--He doesn't have either Limbaugh's humor or his keen insights and his attempts to emulate Rush's feigned arrogance just come across as insolent and overbearing--

And I have no doubt that this particular little tirade was purely for the purpose of promotion of his own boards at the expense of one that's been well-established for years--Sean needs to learn that bashing the competition in attempt to make one's self look good often has the opposite effect--C
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CandiM wrote:
I gave up on Hannity quite awhile ago--Used to like him a lot, but in my opinion (and I don't pretend that it's anything else) he's become an arrogant blowhard and not a good representative of conservatives or Republicans--I recall one of his shows before the election.......one of the live ones from his book tour.......where he managed to get some poor guy who admitted at that point to being undecided as to who he would vote for up on the stage and browbeat him for about 10 minutes to promise to vote for Bush--Now, I wanted to see the President re-elected as much as anyone, and I did my share of campaigning and talking to people about the issues, but I think that bullying someone that way and/or demanding that someone publicly promise to vote for someone because I think they should is just plain wrong--As is his domineering and often rude treatment of his guests--

I think Hannity's heart is in the right place but I also think that he wants to be Rush, and he never will be--He doesn't have either Limbaugh's humor or his keen insights and his attempts to emulate Rush's feigned arrogance just come across as insolent and overbearing--

And I have no doubt that this particular little tirade was purely for the purpose of promotion of his own boards at the expense of one that's been well-established for years--Sean needs to learn that bashing the competition in attempt to make one's self look good often has the opposite effect--C

I watch H&C but mostly to see Alan trying to get a word in edgewise. I'm telling you folks this is the best comedy team since Abbot and Costello. Sean O'Hannity the word wrestler (night school would help) and Alan the straight man falling off the left side of the planet. Who could ask for anything more entertaining? Sometimes I'm rolling on the floor when they do their skits. Hey they are not real news people folks they are entertainers.

To tell you the truth there are only two people on Fox I perk up and listen to when they speak. One is Major Bob Bella…(Alphabet) and the other is Colonel Ollie North. When these guys speak you can tell it is not bovine defecation. You can see it in their eyes; they’ve been there and done that, with their perfume of choice being “Aroma of Gunpowder No. 9MM”. My kind of resident Fox experts.

All the Air Force Generals who are the so-called “experts” at Fox, phoned in any war they were in from 30,000 feet. Ollie and Bob smelled the battlefield, you can tell.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
olympian2004
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt wrote:
CandiM wrote:

I watch H&C but mostly to see Alan trying to get a word in edgewise. I'm telling you folks this is the best comedy team since Abbot and Costello. Sean O'Hannity the word wrestler (night school would help) and Alan the straight man falling off the left side of the planet. Who could ask for anything more entertaining? Sometimes I'm rolling on the floor when they do their skits. Hey they are not real news people folks they are entertainers.

To tell you the truth there are only two people on Fox I perk up and listen to when they speak. One is Major Bob Bella…(Alphabet) and the other is Colonel Ollie North. When these guys speak you can tell it is not bovine defecation. You can see it in their eyes; they’ve been there and done that, with their perfume of choice being “Aroma of Gunpowder No. 9MM”. My kind of resident Fox experts.

All the Air Force Generals who are the so-called “experts” at Fox, phoned in any war they were in from 30,000 feet. Ollie and Bob smelled the battlefield, you can tell.

Cool Cool Cool

Bob Bevelacqua

I'd like to see this guy run for office. Says what he thinks and tells it like it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: