SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hillary & Kerry Push For Voting Holiday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Hillary & Kerry Push For Voting Holiday Reply with quote

Dear God save us from these people. We don't need a holiday to vote!
And the irregularities in the 2004 election were about dead people voting.
Are they going to support the right of dead people to vote too?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=512&u=/ap/20050217/ap_on_go_co/voting_machines_clinton_1&printer=1

Quote:
Sen. Clinton Pushes for Voting Holiday

By DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (news - web sites), a possible White House candidate in 2008, joined 2004 nominee John Kerry (news - web sites) and other Democrats Thursday in urging that Election Day be made a federal holiday to encourage voting.

She also pushed for legislation that would allow all ex-felons to vote.

Standing with Massachusetts Sen. Kerry and other Democrats who had alleged voting irregularities in the 2004 contest, Clinton said, "Once again we had a federal election that demonstrates we have a long way to go."

"I think it's also necessary to make sure our elections meet the highest national standards," said the New York senator.

She and Kerry, both considered contenders for the 2008 nomination, were joined by Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (news, bio, voting record), D-Ohio, and Sen. Barbara Boxer (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., who forced a highly unusual House and Senate debate Jan. 6 on the presidential election results.

Kerry, who lost the national contest by 3.3 million votes nationwide, and 118,000 within Ohio, denied the bill was an attempt to discredit the 2004 results.

"This has nothing to do with me," said Kerry. "It is not partisan, or shouldn't be."

Clinton echoed those comments, though her senatorial re-election committee, Friends of Hillary, is pushing the bill hard.

Visitors to the group's Web site are greeted first with a full-page form asking people to endorse the Count Every Vote Act.

"My Web site has information about everything I work on. This is one of my biggest priorities and obviously I hope that people who share our goal of making sure every vote counts will support us," said Clinton.

In addition to creating a federal holiday for voting, the bill would:

_Require paper receipts for votes.

_Authorize $500 million to help states make the changes in voting systems and equipment.

_Allow ex-felons to vote. Currently an estimated 4.7 million Americans are barred from voting because of their criminal records.

_Require adoption of the changes in time for the 2006 election.

Boxer said the bill "is meant to ensure the election debacle of 2000, and the serious election irregularities of 2004, never ever happen again."

Both parties have called for changes to ensure a more accurate vote count. Republican efforts have centered on reducing voter fraud, while Democrats have called for making access to the ballot box easier and simpler.
_
On the Net:
Friends of Hillary: http://www.friendsofhillary.com/
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She also pushed for legislation that would allow all ex-felons to vote.
OhGawd, a holiday for felons Confused
tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe PIAPS don't know the way it is:
There are no ex-felons, once a felon you are a felon for life.
Unless pardoned by a governor or the President, (like Mark Rich).
Would her pet law make felonies expungeble? just in time for all the felons to vote for her in '08.
Some people will sell their soul for power.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She knows she will need the White Water convict vote to put her over the top in 08.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be like other Fed Holidays, government empoyees will get it off and the private sector will have to work a little harder to cover for them.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a crock. I was always taught that voting is a privelege and a responsibility of good citizenship, not a right. Being a privelege it is up to me to exercise it with informed judgement and initiative. Being less than good citizens, Felons, non-citizens and disinterested(non-registered) people should not be priveleged to vote. Responsible citizens are who make the vote valid. Busing dummies to the polls after free concerts, bribing homeless and registering illegals is not only irresponsible, it is destructive. Making election day a holiday detracts from it and adds nothing. Again, it is a privelege not a right.
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
It will be like other Fed Holidays, government empoyees will get it off and the private sector will have to work a little harder to cover for them.

DITTO

I would like to propose that only Veterans get Veterans Day off. It annoys me when my anti war anti American Hippie from the 60's brother gets Veterans Day off because he is employed by the tax payers.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:
Nutso wrote:

DITTO

I would like to propose that only Veterans get Veterans Day off. It annoys me when my anti war anti American Hippie from the 60's brother gets Veterans Day off because he is employed by the tax payers.

Yup!! And here in the private sector we have to work or take a day vacation. I used to have an assistant who took me out to lunch every Veterans Day. That was not only appreciated, but was very thoughtful.

Gummint employees get a host of days off already, they don't need more. On top of that, there are plenty who don't work at anything when they are there. (No reflection on those who do.)
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa said Hillary Clinton wrote:
...legislation that would allow all ex-felons to vote....

I wonder how she feels about allowing them to be licensed, own and carry guns. How about armed illegal aliens? Who else does she want to empower in order to increase her base? Moonbats? Oh, that's right, she's already got them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: