SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swift Boat Consultants to Take Aim at AARP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Swift Boat Consultants to Take Aim at AARP Reply with quote

WASHINGTON - Taking its cues from the success of last year's Swift boat veterans' campaign in the presidential race, a conservative lobbying organization has hired some of the same consultants to orchestrate attacks on one of President Bush's toughest opponents in the battle to overhaul Social Security.

The lobbying group, USA Next, which has poured millions of dollars into Republican policy battles, now says it plans to spend as much as $10 million on commercials and other tactics assailing AARP, the powerhouse lobby opposing the private investment accounts at the center of Mr. Bush's plan.

"They are the boulder in the middle of the highway to personal savings accounts," said Charlie Jarvis, president of USA Next and former deputy under secretary of the interior in the Reagan and first Bush administrations. "We will be the dynamite that removes them."

Though it is not clear how much money USA Next has in hand for the campaign - Mr. Jarvis will not say, and the group, which claims 1.5 million members, does not have to disclose its donors - officials say that the group's annual budget was more than $28 million last year. The group, a membership organization with no age requirements for joining, has also spent millions in recent years vigorously supporting Bush proposals on tax cuts, energy and the Medicare prescription drug plan.

So far, the groups dueling over Social Security have been relatively tame, but the plans by USA Next foreshadow what could be a steep escalation in the war to sway public opinion and members of Congress in the days ahead.

Already, AARP is holding dozens of forums on the issue, has sent mailings to its 35 million members and has spent roughly $5 million on print advertisements in major newspapers opposing private accounts. "If we feel like gambling," some advertisements said, "we'll play the slots."

AARP is spending another $5 million on a new print advertising campaign beginning this week.

You Asked:
Why Won't Congress Raise the Tax Cap?
Is Bush Facing a Party Revolt?

To help set USA Next's strategy, the group has hired Chris LaCivita, an enthusiastic former marine who advised Swift Vets and P.O.W.'s for Truth, formerly known as Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, on its media campaign and helped write its potent commercials. He earned more than $30,000 for his work, campaign finance filings show.

Officials said the group is also seeking to hire Rick Reed, a partner at Stevens Reed Curcio & Potholm, a firm that was hired by Swift Vets and was paid more than $276,000 to do media production, records show.

For public relations, USA Next has turned to Creative Response Concepts, a Virginia firm that represented both Swift Vets - the company was paid more than $165,000 - and Regnery Publishing, the publisher of "Unfit for Command," a book about Senator John Kerry's military service whose co-author was John E. O'Neill, one of the primary leaders of Swift Vets.

Swift Vets captured headlines for weeks in last year's presidential race, when it spent millions of dollars on incendiary commercials attacking Senator Kerry's war record. Because federal law prohibits outside groups from coordinating with presidential campaigns during elections, the organization came under fire when it was revealed that a lawyer for Mr. Bush's campaign was also advising Swift Vets.

Mr. Bush criticized groups like Swift Vets last year, and his campaign kept its distance from the groups' attacks on Mr. Kerry. In policy battles like the one looming over Social Security, though, there is no prohibition against coordination. Several huge business lobbies, like the Business Roundtable, have become closely linked to Mr. Bush's plans for Social Security and have assembled coalitions to promote the proposals across the country.

"They are the boulder in the middle of the highway... We will be the dynamite that removes them."
-Charlie Jarvis, President, USA Next, referring to the AARP's stance on Bush's Social Security plan

In the case of USA Next, the group and the White House say they are not working together. Trent Duffy, a White House spokesman, said the administration was familiar with the group and has interacted with it on issues in the past, but said that it had no input on its current efforts. USA Next says it has taken pains to disassociate itself from the administration, even declining to join the large lobbying coalitions the White House is working with to pass Social Security legislation.

"We don't like asking anyone for permission to do anything," Mr. Jarvis said. "We totally support the president's boldness on Social Security, but we don't coordinate with the White House or the Hill. We know the people at the White House agree with us and we agree with them."

USA Next has been portraying AARP as a liberal organization out of step with Republican values, and is now trying to discredit its stance on Social Security. USA Next's campaign has involved appearances by its leaders, including Art Linkletter, its national chairman, on Fox News and various television programs. Its commercials are to be broadcast around the country in coming weeks.

AARP, the largest organization representing middle-aged and older Americans, is considered a major obstacle to Mr. Bush's Social Security plan in part because of its size and influence with the elderly. Though it is officially nonpartisan, and it stood beside the administration to help pass a prescription drug bill in 2003, many Republicans have long characterized the group as left-leaning.

Officials at AARP say that their organization has weathered attacks and allegations of partisanship over the years and that they were not overly concerned about the current barrage.

By the Numbers

$10 Million
Planned spending on lobbying for Social Security privatization plan

$10 Million
Planned spending on lobbying against Social Security privatizaton plan

Sources: USA Next, AARP.org, New York Times

"I don't ever want to see someone attack us, but we haven't found they had a significant impact in the past," said David Certner, the group's director of federal affairs.

One USA Next official predicted that this time around, the campaign would be so aggressive that the White House might not to want to associate with it.

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the White House doesn't want anything to do with a group that is attacking the AARP," the official said, adding, "We are not going to drag them into this mess."

At one point recently, USA Next was also talking to Terry Nelson, the former national political director of Mr. Bush's campaign who is a partner at Dawson McCarthy Nelson Media, about working as a consultant. But Mr. Nelson was already employed by Compass, a coalition of major trade associations working with the White House to support Mr. Bush's plan, and that stopped the deal. "They wanted to maintain absolute independence," Mr. Nelson said. "They felt it was a conflict for them."

Mr. Jarvis said the group's goal is to peel off one million members from AARP, by presenting itself as a conservative, free-market alternative. He says USA Next surveys show that more than 37 percent of AARP members call themselves Republicans.

More From the Times

· Panel to Advise Testing Babies for 29 Diseases
· New Tool in Fight Against Drugs on Navajo Reservation
· Case of Vanishing Deductions, Blame the Alternative Tax

"We are going to take them on in hand-to-hand combat," said Mr. Jarvis, who is biting in his remarks about AARP, calling the group "stodgy, overweight, bureaucratic and out of touch."

Formerly known as the United Seniors Association, USA Next was founded in 1991 by Richard Viguerie, a Republican pioneer and mastermind of direct mailings, who raised millions of dollars from older Americans using solicitations that sent alarming messages about Social Security. In 1992, there were allegations that the group was used as a device to enrich other companies owned by Mr. Viguerie, drawing criticism from watchdog groups and Democratic lawmakers.

Mr. Jarvis, who joined the group in 2001, said he knew little about the allegations, and Mr. Viguerie could not be reached for comment. The group persevered and has grown in the years since then. The group spent years primarily working with direct mail before changing to a model that emphasized the use of heavy television and radio advertising to get its message across, fueled by millions of dollars from wealthy donors, trade associations and companies that share its views.

Mr. Jarvis said donors have included food, nutrition, energy and pharmaceutical companies, which have given money to support various advertising campaigns.

In previous years, and often during elections, the money was used to saturate the airwaves with advertisements. In 2002, for example, the group relied partly on money from the pharmaceutical industry to spend roughly $9 million on television commercials and mailings supporting Republican prescription drug legislation and the lawmakers who backed it.

The group spent more money than any other interest group on House races that year, according to a study by the Wisconsin Advertising Project, and drew charges from Democrats that it was a stealth campaign by the pharmaceutical industry to support House Republicans. The group denied the allegations. Critics contended that the group was a front for corporate special interests. In a 2002 report, Public Citizen's Congress Watch denounced it, calling its leadership "hired guns."

In 2003 and 2004, USA Next was again heavily represented, spending roughly $20 million, according to the group's own numbers. It sponsored more than 19,800 television and radio advertisements last year alone.

To USA Next, the battle lines have already been drawn, and it does not shy away from comparisons to the veterans' campaign against Senator Kerry. "It's an honor to be equated with the Swift boat guys," Mr. Jarvis said.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050221071809990002
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNN reported this with the misleading headlined implication that it was a Swift Vets effort - and thus apparently tried to imply that it was discredited out of the gate, at least in their biased view.

The whole implication is bogus. The professional and paid consultants and advisors employed by the Swift Vets are not going to all retire because the Swift Boat Vets stood down. They have to go on working for someone.

Whatever these professionals do, it has no connection to the Swift Vets and POWs.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello d19thdoc,

I am glad to see your reply on this subject.

I would like to post your reply on the subject on other discussion groups that are going nuts over the Swift Vet's former consultants and advisors present activities with regards to the AARP. They are assuming that the Swift Vets are active in the ads and etc.

The discussion groups are agriculture related. If you wish to check out and post in those groups, send me an PM and I will give you the location of the groups.

Lots of different and various political opinions abound on the farm related discussion groups. Get very interesting at times. Kerry supporters are taking it very hard indeed.

I would also like to have the replies on this same subject from other Swift Boat Vets to post on the other discussion groups in an attempt to set the record straight.

I hope to shut down some of the unwarranted anger towards to Swifties for something that they are not involved with.

I did decide at the present against posting a link to this dicussion group.

I thought that this site could be swamped if I did that.

Hope to hear from you on this subject. I hope that this is not considered to be a troll type posting.
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to have the replies on this same subject from other Swift Boat Vets to post on the other discussion groups in an attempt to set the record straight.

I would be interested in these groups.
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvuskong:
Although I am not a SwiftVet or POW member, just an interested Vietnam Veteran, and therefore do not speak for them, I do know what I am talking about. You certainly may post my comment anywhere - I don't think permission is required. We are all in a "public domain" environment here. Cut and paste rather than link this page is probably best.

The SwiftVets and POWs met in Florida recently and decided to officially "stand down" from any further public activity. I believe this is posted elsewhere on this board. Knowing the character of these men, I know that what they say is what they mean and what they will do.

Involving the Swift Vets and POWs in this controversy is idiotic and no doubt the precise purpose of those news organizations who headlined this implied "connection" as if it actually existed. It is like saying somone must be gay because he once voted for Jim mcGreevy for Governor of New Jersey.

For those who have no logical faculties or ability to think, perhaps it seems credible. The rest of us will just have to roll our eyes Rolling Eyes and move on - considering the source.

What those who are upset should be upset about is the media they rely on, mistakenly thinking that media's purpose is to provide them with reliable information.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtboone wrote:

I would be interested in these groups.

Hello mtboone,

At the moment, it looks like just one group has been posting any thing about the situtation. It is one what I consider the main site for ag discussions.

If it shows up there, generally within 3 or 4 days or less, depending on the season of the year, it will be talked about in other ag discussion groups.

I will sending you a PM on this site's Private Message option.

From previous experince, if I post any links to any other discussion groups and etc, the links will be deleted by the administrators.

No complaints about it, just a commet about it. They have their rules and regulations to follow for what is allowable here.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: