SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost My VA Benefits Today!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Lost My VA Benefits Today! Reply with quote

Well, I found out how the liberals in the senate and congress will cut the budget today! In August 2002, I applied for VA benefits related to diabetes because of exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. The VA approved the benefits in December 2002 and I received benefits retroactive to July 2001 when the Clinton administration approved the addition of diabetes to those diseases caused by A.O. Today I received a letter that my benefits have been stopped because I have Type I diabetes(I was diagnosed in 1974) not Type II. When I applied it was just "diabetes, not I or II. The VA approved and now it takes it away. Unbelievable! I guess they will start to balance this budget on the backs of veterans. My son just returned from Iraq two weeks ago. I shudder to think what his VA benefits will be.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My son just returned from Iraq two weeks ago. I shudder to think what his VA benefits will be.

I'd guess it will be the standard bandaid, pat on the back, and a hearty "Well Done."

The bandaid, of course, will be considered "taxable income."

Joking aside, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. It really sucks.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Lost My VA Benefits Today! Reply with quote

four-niner delta wrote:
Well, I found out how the liberals in the senate and congress will cut the budget today! In August 2002, I applied for VA benefits related to diabetes because of exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. The VA approved the benefits in December 2002 and I received benefits retroactive to July 2001 when the Clinton administration approved the addition of diabetes to those diseases caused by A.O. Today I received a letter that my benefits have been stopped because I have Type I diabetes(I was diagnosed in 1974) not Type II. When I applied it was just "diabetes, not I or II. The VA approved and now it takes it away. Unbelievable! I guess they will start to balance this budget on the backs of veterans. My son just returned from Iraq two weeks ago. I shudder to think what his VA benefits will be.

All health care is covered if you served during war, regardless of what you do after serving. If you need some help with your particular VA let me know.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like another case of them not making themselves clear to you. They might have upset you needlessly, give the VA a call and make sure. I'll also help you research it if you'd like.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the story. In 1980, the Vietnam Veterans of America, sent out flyers to those who had served in areas of Vietnam where Agent Orange had been used extensively. Even the news media at that time covered it because many diseases were starting to show in those vets who had served in-country. The VVA(Vietnam Veterans Of America) then sent me a map showing the specific areas that they had discovered the use of the dioxin(AO). Mind you, the government or the VA wasn't admitting to anything. I then called the VA to find out if any of this was true. Their statement was that there was NO correlation between ANY siseases and A.O. I didn't persue it any further. Then the Clinton administration and the secretary of Veterans Affairs decided to add diabetes to those diseases already included like some cancers and birth defects in children(spina bifida). None of this was published widely in the MSM. I NEVER heard about it.

Then in August 2002, my bro-in-law, a navy veteran, happened to comment to me that his neighbor was receiving benefits from the VA for diabetes related to A.O. I then looked up the website and found that the VA WAS actually paying benefits to vets retroactive to 1999, when the bill was passed to include diabetes. The website DID say that it was Type II diabetes mellitus(known as adult-onset). The other diabetes NOT included was Type I diabetes mellitus(known as juvenile-onset). I was not a juvenile when it was diagnosed at age 31 AND AFTER my tour in Vietnam. I called the Vietnam Veterans Affairs office here at Sepulveda VA hospital and was TOLD that it didn't mater-type I or II-and that I should apply. I did and went through ALL the screening through VA doctors and all the tests and forms. Three months later, the claim was approved and I received retroactive payments back to one year before I filed the claim! When I lost the sight in my right eye due to complications of the disease, I applied for a change in status. Before this change, I was considered 60% disabled when I could STILL SEE. I was forced to retire because of the sight loss. Six months of waiting for an increase, I receive a letter yesterday that my claim was rejected because NOW they will ONLY accept Type II diabetes. So now I have lost ALL payments. I can appeal, of course, but it looks as though things have changed in the last year or so, with so many vets applying due to diabetes. I think I'll just have to fight one more battle-it never ends. We were screwed during the war and they continue to stick it to us!

I don't know if some of you are aware of the fact that reservists who fight in Iraq do NOT receive the same medical benefits as full-time soldiers who fight in Iraq. Reservist or regular, you still die or get wounded. I have backed Bush through all of this, but I have also heard rumors about these VA cutbacks. Believe me, these are not rumors and veterans are going to have to fight for their rights!

This is my rant and venting for the day. We need to fight for veterans rights because the anti-war crowd in Washington is not going to.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
GenrXr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

four-niner delta wrote:
I don't know if some of you are aware of the fact that reservists who fight in Iraq do NOT receive the same medical benefits as full-time soldiers who fight in Iraq. Reservist or regular, you still die or get wounded. I have backed Bush through all of this, but I have also heard rumors about these VA cutbacks. Believe me, these are not rumors and veterans are going to have to fight for their rights!

The reservists who are fighting in Iraq do recieve full medical benefits for life from the VA, anyone serving during wartime does. There may be some paperwork issues which need addressed and their local VFW or Legion can probably assist in that.

As for disability payments regarding AO and the Vietnam war, I am ignorant about that, although I do remember in 1991 there were a lot of troops exposed to chemicals who were not givien disability and there was quite some controversy over it. A few years after the incident and with the controversy brewing I asked my Navy EOD friend if he knew anything about it. He told me it was common knowledge among the troops that an Army EOD unit improperly detonated some seized chemical munitions. If I remember right he said the Army did not gauge the wind properly and did not set the explosion to vaporize the chemicals properly. Ill never forget him saying "they should of called in Navy EOD to explode chemicals so close to a base". Our governement does have a tendancy to try to sweep under the rug instances like this and most likely this is a institutional problem stemming from the political nature of the Pentagon. The Pentagon is a relic of the cold war and really we have no need for this type of political military enviroment. The building should be abandoned and the military focus should be on soldiering and let congress handle the politics and the consequences associated with not disclosing these types of incidents.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr

I just got off the phone with Congressman Adam Schiff(D-Calif) and he told me that reservists in Iraq DO NOT get the same medical benefits as regular troops. He also said that those reservists killed DO NOT get the same death benefits as regular troops.

Also, he is working on my problem and has no idea why they have cancelled my claim after 2 1/2 years.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

four-niner delta wrote:
Also, he is working on my problem and has no idea why they have cancelled my claim after 2 1/2 years.

Good for you!!
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

four-niner delta wrote:
GenrXr

I just got off the phone with Congressman Adam Schiff(D-Calif) and he told me that reservists in Iraq DO NOT get the same medical benefits as regular troops. He also said that those reservists killed DO NOT get the same death benefits as regular troops.

That really pisses me off. This should not be the case.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four-niner delta,

You can also try contacting Feinstein. It's surprising, but she responds to letters/emails from conservatives in her state. It can't hurt.

Forget about Boxer. No use at all.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All veterans need to read this article from the Disabled American Veterans. I am hearing more and more stories of veterans losing their benefits or being turned away.

As a Bush supporter, I find it really troubling that the administration and the buracracy in this administration find it appropriate to cut back on budgets on the backs of those who have fought for freedom for this country.

PLEASE READ:
http://www.dav.org/news/documents/news_20050208.pdf
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "Agent Orange" have to do with diabetes?

You need to read Stolen Valor by B.G. Burkett, "Agent Orange" is a lie.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slednfool

Agent Orange is a dioxin that attacks various organs including the reproductive system, the pancreas(diabetes and pancreatic cancer and lymphoma. There is a Agent Orange site on the internet that gives a pretty good explanation.

I saw the results of this stuff throughout the area we were fought in.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
d19thdoc
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed in children and young adults, and was previously known as juvenile diabetes. In type 1 diabetes, the body does not produce insulin.

Type 2 diabetes is the most common form of diabetes. In type 2 diabetes, either the body does not produce enough insulin or the cells ignore the insulin.

These are two related but different medical conditions: no insulin production (Type 1) versus not enough insulin production (Type 2). The age at which one gets the disease has nothing to do with determining which type it is. Type 1 is merely more common among juveniles and was, therefore, once know as “juvenile diabetes.”

If you have Type 2 and were in Vietnam, you are entitled to compensation, because extensive scientific studies have demonstrated that one of the consequences of exposure to Agent Orange is Type 2 diabetes, and the VA no longer even bothers to dispute whether or not an in-country Vietnam veteran was exposed to Agent Orange. Its use was so extensive that they just presume that we were all exposed.

Instead of pointlessly castigating the VA and seeking irrelevant political intervention, you need to confirm your diagnoses as to type of diabetes. It would not hurt to get second medical opinion from outside of VA as part of your dispute process.

If your diabetes is truly type 1, you are apparently out of luck – their mistake would have been in granting compensation in the first place – either that or their diagnosis was incorrect then or is incorrect now.

VA only compensates for Type 2 because the extensive and years-long studies they do to associate any disease or condition with Agent Orange exposure so far only makes the association for one, but not both, of the two types of diabetes.
four-niner delta
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My diabetes is type 2, insulin dependent. I already have spoken with the doctor about this. The VA's contention is that the VA person who made out the claim just had diabetes-no type. The VA doctors who examined me during the process verified it was type 2 and that I was on an insulin pump. This went through the system and I received my benefits for over two and a half years. Since Bush is looking for cutbacks in VA benefits, they are going through records again. That's how they discovered the problem with the claim. Totally internal screw-up with the VA. Now I have to re-submit the records from my doctor. Having been a diabetic for over 31 years, i have a pretty fair knowledge of my disease.
Mobile Riverine Force
A Co. 3/60 9th INF DIV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: