SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

“Don’t Kill Terri”--ACTION ALERT!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: “Don’t Kill Terri”--ACTION ALERT!! Reply with quote

http://www.cwfa.org/articles/7656/CWA/life/index.htm

Quote:
“Don’t Kill Terri”
By Tom Brodersen
3/10/2005

A friend relates recent times with Terri Schiavo. By the way, “Country Roads” is her favorite song.

Editor’s note:A judge has given the green light for Terri Schiavo’s husband to remove her food and water on March 18. This condemns to death a woman who, though severely disabled, responds to music and to love. She is not on artificial life support. Read this moving article, where a friend pleads for her life.

Take action: Thousands of calls are needed to spur the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee to act on Terri’s Law, S 539. While time is short, this legislation can be moved rapidly through the Senate and the House, and be placed on the President’s desk for his signature. Concerned Women for America strongly encourages every American who is moved by Terri’s plight to call the members of the Judiciary Committee (phone numbers follow the article) and urge them to support S 539. This bill will prevent Terri’s husband from carrying out the death sentence he’s sought so long to complete.

----------------------------------
My name is Tom Brodersen. I am attorney Pat Anderson's office manager and, more recently, her husband. I have personal knowledge about Terri Schiavo's actual neurological condition and responsiveness which we could not use before because of Pat's role as attorney for the Schindler family. That is now changed, and I cannot sit quietly by and passively observe a miscarriage of justice.

During the period of September to November of 2002 (from just before to shortly after the medical evidentiary hearing featuring five doctors as witnesses), I spent time with Terri Schiavo, as a person (briefly) on her visitors list.

During that time I gently spoke to her, built rapport and trust, sang to her, played music for her, and encouraged her to vocalize. Over the 20 days or so that I visited with Terri, I observed that, while Terri is distrustful of strangers, she gradually warmed up to me (and not so gradually after her parents and I sang Those Were the Days to her as a trio!).

Terri responds to a variety of stimuli, including responding to her mother's and my voices, both in person and over the phone by fixing her attention and frequently by laughing. When I sang to her, she often vocalized, in her best effort to sing along.

She recognizes and takes great pleasure in favorite singers and songs (most especially John Denver singing Country Roads).

She learned to love several songs I sang to her, although she seemed unfamiliar with them. But others she never learned to appreciate--just not her cup of tea, obviously.

Terri responded to gentle requests if given time and patience, such as lifting her right leg three times out of four requests; the other time she lifted her left leg instead. While she does not have consistent control over her eyes to blink or look this way or that, she has excellent control over her breathing, diaphram and voice, and will vocalize in various patterns if asked.

As we tried to work out a yes/no system with sounds, Terri initially answered the question "Are you ten feet tall?" by moaning twice, which is the response for "No." Then she spontaneously whispered "No" in response to, "Terri, are you purple?" At that point I abandoned the sounding system and started trying to teach her to say "Yeah" as best as she could. Her father, Bob Schindler, has several recordings of her sort of saying the word "Yeah" shortly after.

Regrettably, I was then taken off Terri's visitors list, but on successive occasions (as recently as October 2004, approximately two years since I last saw her in person), when her father or sister placed a phone to Terri's ear so I could talk to her, she would laugh as soon as she heard my voice, and would try to sing along with me when I sang to her over the phone.

Terri is not just "in there." She is responsive, she loves music, and she is my friend. Please don't kill her.

To reach Tom Brodersen by e-mail, click here.

Call the Committee on the Judiciary

Arlen Specter
CHAIRMAN, PENNSYLVANIA
(202) 224-4254

Members

Orrin G. Hatch (R-UT)
(202) 224-5251

Patrick J. Leahy (D-VT)
(202) 224-4242

Charles E. Grassley (R-IA)
(202) 224-3744

Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA)
(202) 224-4543

Jon Kyl (R-AZ)
(202) 224-4521

Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (D-DE)
(202) 224-5042

Mike DeWine (R-OH)
(202) 224-2315

Herbert Kohl (D-WI)
(202) 224-5653

Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
(202) 224-4124

Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
(202) 224-3841

Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
(202) 224-5972

Russell D. Feingold (D-WI)
(202) 224-5323

John Cornyn (R-TX)
(202) 224-2934

Charles E. Schumer (D-NY)
(202) 224-6542

Sam Brownback (R-KA)
(202) 224-6521

Richard J. Durbin (D-IL)
(202) 224-2152

Tom Coburn (R-OK)
(202) 224-5754

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a convenient E-MAIL SETUP at RightMarch.com

http://capwiz.com/sicminc/issues/alert/?alertid=7142856&type=CO

Just enter your zip code and GO
It will give you your Senators and Congressmen and send your message.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP

Time is running short for Terri!!!

Please call and e-mail urging passage of this bill to protect Terri.
Get everyone you know to do the same!!

TAKE ACTION: Thousands of calls are needed to spur the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee to act on Terri’s Law, S 539. While time is short, this legislation can be moved rapidly through the Senate and the House, and be placed on the President’s desk for his signature. Concerned Women for America strongly encourages every American who is moved by Terri’s plight to call the members of the Judiciary Committee (phone numbers follow the article) and urge them to support S 539. This bill will prevent Terri’s husband from carrying out the death sentence he’s sought so long to complete.

Refer to above articles for phone numbers and email facilitation!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: