SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military judge convicts sailor who refused to deploy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Military judge convicts sailor who refused to deploy Reply with quote

SignOnSanDiego.com

Military judge convicts sailor who refused to deploy

By Seth Hettena
ASSOCIATED PRESS

2:25 p.m. May 11, 2005

SAN DIEGO – A Navy sailor turned anti-war activist was convicted Wednesday of missing his ship's movement when he refused to board the USS Bonhomme Richard as it deployed to the Persian Gulf in December.

A military judge deliberated about 40 minutes before finding Petty Officer 3rd Class Pablo Paredes guilty of the count. Lt. Cmdr. Bob Klant dismissed a second count of unauthorized absence, ruling the charge was duplicative.

Paredes stood at attention as the judge read the sentence, following the day's court-martial proceeding. The trial then shifted into the sentencing phase.

Paredes, a 23-year-old from the New York City borough of the Bronx, could receive a year in jail, a forfeiture of pay, reduction in rank and a bad-conduct discharge.

Paredes had waived his right to have his trial heard by a military jury.

The prosecution closed its case by saying it had proven that the weapons control technician failed to board the Bonhomme Richard on Dec. 6 – an act that was recorded by news crews at Naval Station San Diego, the scene of Wednesday's court-martial.

Lt. Christopher Castleman testified that he met Paredes at the Navy pier and warned him that if he failed to board the ship he could face criminal charges.

Defense attorney Jeremy Warren countered that Castleman also told Paredes that if he didn't board the ship he was "free to go, leaving the sailor with no idea what to do next."

Defense attorneys said Paredes had expected to be detained at the pier. Witnesses testified Wednesday that Navy officials initially planned to do so, but ultimately decided not to after consulting with Navy public affairs officials.

The Bonhomme Richard and two other ships carried about 3,000 Iraq-bound Marines when it set off on a six-month deployment to the Pacific and Indian oceans.

While his shipmates bid farewell to loved ones, Paredes sat pierside and told reporters he did not want to be part of a war he considers illegal and immoral. He said his military training taught him to avoid what he views as a war crime.

"The war is the real crime here, and that's what I want to get across," Paredes said. Navy prosecutors, however, blocked Paredes' plans to put the war on trial during the court-martial.

Warren said Paredes passed up deals that would have minimized his punishment in exchange for a guilty plea.

"He's not backing down from what he did or why he did it," Warren said.

A Navy officer reviewing Paredes' request for conscientious objector status has recommended that it be denied.

Paredes says he was a different person when he joined the Navy in 2000, looking for a job and a way to get a college education. The Navy sent him to Yokosuka, Japan and once there, he says he had something of an awakening.

He began devouring works by writers like Noam Chomsky, the MIT linguistics professor and political activist. He joined political discussions with like-minded friends who criticized the Bush administration. Japan's strong moral code impressed him as well, and when he left the country last year, Paredes says he had a huge internal conflict.

"I was ashamed to wear the uniform," he said in a recent interview.

Paredes' case attracted attention from all political stripes. Retired Marine Lt. Col. Oliver North, a Fox News commentator who served in the Reagan White House, has labeled Paredes a coward. Chomsky and Ron Kovic, the disabled Vietnam and author of "Born on the Fourth of July," say they admire Paredes for his courage.

On Wednesday, the courtroom was packed with reporters and anti-war activists. Paredes' supporters included Fernando Suarez del Solar of Escondido and Cindy Sheehan of Vacaville, who both have spoken out against the war since their sons were killed in Iraq.

In the days before the court-martial, Paredes seemed unfazed by the prospect of a conviction following the military equivalent of a civilian misdemeanor trial.

"The president of the United States has a DUI under his belt," Paredes said, referring to the president's 1976 drunken driving arrest in Maine. "I think I'll make it with a misdemeanor."

Find this article at:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20050511-1425-ca-sailorsprotest.html

SBD
mtboone
Founder

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the days before the court-martial, Paredes seemed unfazed by the prospect of a conviction following the military equivalent of a civilian misdemeanor trial.

One word "Coward'
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USS Bonhomme Richard
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/navy/lhd-6.htm

For a while, I was afraid that it was physically the same "Bonnie Dick" that was floating around in the good/bad olde days ('68-'72) as a CVA, refitted.
The last paragraph, though, seems to indicate it's the third incarnation of the name. I was on Hancock, and I was told that that one (CVA-19) was originally supposed to have been the Bonhomme Richard, but John Hancock Insurance company kicked in some big bucks for the WWII effort, and was rewarded by having the vessel named first.

Had yet another refit of the WWII carrier actually been the case, I might have had some sympathy for the guy. Laughing
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinon he got off to way light. We're at war whether most peole feel the effects of it or not. He is aCOWARD plain and simple. Good he's out now. Sure don't need any malingerers lowering morale. Left up to me, he would be castrated to keep from propagating any more cowards.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he joined the Navy in 2000, looking for a job and a way to get a college education.

Therein lies the biggest problem we have within our military today. The young have been conditioned to believe the military is just a free social club where they get a lot of benefits for playing soldier. When a war comes along, too many want out, figuring they'd never have to do anything but play soldier.

Fortunately, the vast majority, the ones the leftstream media ignores, joined or stayed in out of devotion to duty.

Personally, I think they give these guys too much attention. Charge them, convict them and let them serve their time with a dishonorable.
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the Navy's touch. The MSM is lined up for a
confrontation, and the Navy just hands him his needings and
shows him the door. Just another routine case. No yelling and
screaming. No OJ or Michael Jackson show trial. Shucks folks.

Very Happy
George F. Thompson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Sailor convicted Reply with quote

"Japan's strong moral code impressed him as well, and when he left the country last year, Paredes says he had a huge internal conflict".
I guess he never heard of the " Rape of Nanking", or unit 731. As usual, blame America first. I hope he gets what he deserves. I hope he get's 6,6 and a kick.

George F. Thompson
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sailor convicted Reply with quote

George F. Thompson wrote:
"Japan's strong moral code impressed him as well, and when he left the country last year, Paredes says he had a huge internal conflict".
I guess he never heard of the " Rape of Nanking", or unit 731. As usual, blame America first. I hope he gets what he deserves. I hope he get's 6,6 and a kick.

George F. Thompson

As a Chomsky convert , he can do nothing else but "blame America first".
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression of Yoko' surrounded by the Japanese Maritime Self-Defnse Force was was of the discipline, duty and attention to detail they displayed and how rag-tag we looked in comparison.

-Wlm Shakespeare
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say, administer anesthesia, plant a GPS tracking device in him, put him in a box with a red, white and blue parachute attached and shove him off a plane over Iraq. Maybe he could lead us to some more terrorist...or better yet, Zarqawi.

Just kidding, of course. Rolling Eyes
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that terrible Becca, why would we want to waste perfectly good anesthesia???
Snipe
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:
I find that terrible Becca, why would we want to waste perfectly good anesthesia???

Yeah! A jug of Akadama would probably do him.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutso wrote:

The reason for the anesthesia wouldn't be for pain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: