SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soldiers Breakfast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor in the Desert
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Soldiers Breakfast Reply with quote

This was passed on to me by my BlogMom, Karma.

Quote:
Soldiers Breakfast

Jack Tilley, a Sergeant Major of the Army, was with a group of people who recently were visiting wounded soldiers at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, DC.

He saw a Special Forces soldier who had lost his right hand and suffered severe wounds of his face and side of his body.

Sgt Tilley wanted to honor him and show him respect without offending, but what can you say or do in such a situation that will encourage and uplift?

How do you shake the right hand of a soldier who has none?

He decided to act as though the hand was not missing and gripped the soldiers wrist while speaking words of comfort and encouragement to him.

However, there was another man in the group who knew exactly what to do.

This man reverently took the soldier's stump of a hand in both of his hands, bowed at the bedside, and prayed for him.

When he finished the prayer he stood up, bent over the soldier, kissed him on the head, and told him that he loved him.

Sgt. Tilley was awed by the powerful expression of love for one of our wounded heroes he was witnessing! "What a beautiful Christ-like example!" he thought, moved to tears.

What kind of a man would do such a thing?

It was the wounded man's Commander-In-Chief, George W. Bush, President of the United States.

This eyewitness account was told by Sergeant Major Jack Tilley at a Soldiers Breakfast at Red Stone Arsenal, AL, and recorded by Chaplain James Henderson, who was stationed there.

Just a personal note. My son is stationed at Redstone Arsenal.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check this url
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/injured.asp
Sailor in the Desert
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the Snopes piece twice. The only "embellishment" seems to be the prayer part, and who knows if he actually prayed or didn't.

Thanks for pointing me to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: