SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Senator Murray's Hypocrisy On Terri Schiavo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Senator Murray's Hypocrisy On Terri Schiavo Reply with quote

Before Terri was brutally killed, I, like many others, spent lots of time emailing our Senators and Representatives. Unfortunately, Senator Patty Murray is one of mine. She did, however, reply and justify her non-action on behalf of Terri.

Perusing her webpage, I also ran across the following news release from her, back in 2003;

Quote:
Murray Bill Would Help Domestic Violence Victims Escape Abusive Relationships

Provides the economic means to free victims from abusive relationships
For Immediate Release: Thursday, October 30, 2003

(WASHINGTON, D.C.) – Sen. Patty Murray has introduced legislation to help victims of domestic violence escape abusive relationships. The Security and Financial Empowerment Act (SAFE Act), S.1801, would provide unemployment benefits to women who must leave a job to flee an abusive relationship, it would provide legal assistance for victims, end insurance and employment discrimination against victims, and expand the Family & Medical Leave Act to enable victims to take time off to go to court to stop the abuse without losing their jobs.

Murray and former Senator Paul Wellstone first introduced this legislation in July 2001, which was then known as the Victims Economic Safety & Security Act (VESSA).

We must not trap victims of domestic violence in abusive relationships because they don’t have the financial means to leave. We cannot allow them to be further victimized because of their circumstances,” said Murray during a conference call with reporters this afternoon.

Over the years I’ve worked on the issue of domestic violence and talked to many women who have been in serious situations,” Murray continued. “When I asked them directly ‘why didn’t you leave’ which seems like such a common-sense thing to do when you are being abused, the answer invariably has been ‘I couldn’t afford to, I needed to take care of my children, I didn’t have the financial ability to leave this situation.’”

“What we want to do is take those barriers away so that we provide protection for women economically, so that they can feel secure enough to leave a situation that could be potentially fatal,” Murray added.
The bill would:
· Protect victims who are forced to flee their jobs by extending unemployment insurance. Today a woman can receive unemployment compensation if she leaves her job because her husband must relocate. But, if that same woman must leave because she’s fleeing abuse, she can not receive unemployment compensation. The SAFE Act would extend assistance to these victims.
· Protect victims by allowing them unpaid time from work to get the help they need. Today, a woman can use the FMLA to care for a sick or injured spouse. But a woman cannot use FMLA to go to court to stop abuse. The SAFE Act would allow victims of domestic or sexual violence to take leave of up to 30 days to seek assistance from outside medical, psychological and/or legal resources without penalty from their employer.
· Protect victims of domestic violence from insurance discrimination. Currently, insurance companies classify domestic violence as a “high risk behavior,” leading to higher premiums or a denial of coverage. The SAFE Act would protect those victims by prohibiting insurers from denying, refusing to issue, canceling or adding a premium differential to victims of domestic violence.

The SAFE Act (Security and Financial Empowerment Act) was introduced by Murray today, with Senators Corzine (D-N.J.), Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Dayton (D-Minn.) as co-sponsors. Companion legislation has been introduced in the House by Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-Ca.).

The legislation is endorsed by the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence (WSCADV). In a statement, Executive Director Nan Stoops said, “We applaud Senator Murray’s introduction of the SAFE Act and her efforts to assist victims of domestic and sexual violence. The goal of the SAFE Act is to ensure that victims of domestic violence have the economic security needed to escape violent relationships.”

http://murray.senate.gov/news.cfm?id=214381

Her reply to me, asking she endorse helping Terri Schindler/Schiavo;

Quote:
Response from Senator Patty Murray
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:52 PM
Senator@murray.senate.gov

Dear Mr. Waters:

Thank you for contacting me about Theresa Marie Schiavo of Florida. I appreciate hearing from you about this very personal and difficult matter.

As you know, following a lengthy legal battle Mrs. Schiavo's husband authorized the removal of her feeding tube on Friday March 18, 2005. On Monday March 21, 2005 Congress passed private legislation allowing Mrs. Schiavo's parents to seek relief through the Federal Court system, which the President promptly signed into law. This legislation passed the Senate by a Voice Vote. Because I had already departed the country for an official Senate trip, I was not present to vote on the Schiavo bill.

I do not believe that it was appropriate for the Congress and federal government to become involved in this very complex and personal matter. In the future, legislation dealing with such sensitive issues must be allowed to work through the regular process of committee and floor debate and consideration. In general, I believe these decisions are best left to families, their faith, and their physician without outside interference.

Again, I appreciate hearing from you on this difficult matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me about other issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Patty Murray
United States Senator

Given all the evidence that Terri was being murdered by her husband and Florida courts, it's curious, to say the least, that she now takes such a "hands off" attitude.

Feel free to use this email I received as you see fit.
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That letter you got from Senator Murray reminds me of the Frenchmen on the castle wall in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Their short version of her reply to you:

"I fart in your general direction! Now go away, you silly k-nig-hit or I shall taunt you a second time!"

I got much the same from Senator B. "Moonbat" Boxer, D-Lalaland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: