SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going back in...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Going back in... Reply with quote

Hey peeps Smile Long time no chat :p

I have a question.... I served my time in the AF... did 3 years of Army NG... and left it to come here (Japan).... What are my chances that they will let me get back in, even go active duty if possible...

any idea?

MJ

Oh... I'm 34yo, btw
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you deduct time already served from present age and if that puts you at or below max enlistment age the you are eligble - not sure what max age is but I thought I read they just raised it to 31 or something like that

In that case, assuming 4 in AF and 3 in NG brings you to 27. Even without NG you are at about 30

I tried the calculations with my 24 years and it only brouht me down to 48 so they won't take me

Good Luck
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what your AFSC was, and how much in demand it is right now, I'd say your chances are pretty good. Good luck, I hope you get back in, if that's what you want.
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. for anyone else that is interested.. here is part of the reply I received from the recruiter:

Quote:

Thank you for your interest in the United States Army.

Prior Service applicants that desire to reenlist into the Army must meet all the basic qualifications. Prior service will have their RE codes evaluated to determine if they require a waiver to enlist. Grades E-5 and above will require a grade determination waiver. Enlistment incentives and specialty training are usually not authorized. If your current MOS is not available, you may have the choice to retrain into a MOS (job) based on the needs of the Army.

<myname>, in order for me to determine your eligibility to enter the Army, I am going to need more information from you. Fill out the questionnaire below and forward this email back to me when you are finished. Providing the information below will not obligate you to anything, it simply assists in helping me determine what opportunities may await you in the United States Army or Army Reserve. Also if you have any friends that are interested in the Army, feel free to give them the following email address: http://www.goarmy.com/contact/email_us.jsp

I am seriously considering going back in, depending on the outcome of the work situation here in Japan... besides the physical aspects (going back through boot camp), I am certain that I shouldn't have any problems... but I am more than willing to go back through boot again to get back in shape Wink

MJ
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of rejoining myself at times. Even have dreams I'm back in trying to remember my PQS....but I had an age waiver in the first place turning 32 my second week of bootcamp.

Don't know about the Army but for the Navy I remember good and bad. The Navy was happy to take ex Army and Marines. On the otherhand, I TDY'd with Detailers for 'returnees' and they took delight in assigning the worst duty and stations they could find for those they felt should have known better then to leave in the first place.

-Wlm Shakespeare
MrJapan
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I still have dreams of being back in the AF :p I miss it more than the Army, but I think the Army was much better for staying in shape Wink I tried to go active AF once and they told me then that they didn't accept re-enlistees, so I went Army NG to eventually go active Army.. but I made the mistake of getting out to come here >.<

now I wish I would have stuck with it. We'll see what happens in the near future Wink

MJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: