SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campaign Finance Reform > Paid for by..........??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Campaign Finance Reform > Paid for by..........?? Reply with quote

you all probably already knew about this - heard all about it in the MSM? Well if you didn't hear about it... thats because it was supposed to be hush-hush, per this fella Treglia from Pew, who got caught on tape. But it's not just that they financed it, it's how they did it - what they cloaked it as.

So who financed Campaign Finance Reform?? ( per links below)
Pew ($40.1 million), the Schumann Center for Media and Democracy ($17.6 million), the Carnegie Corporation of New York ($14.1 million), the Joyce Foundation ($13.5 million), George Soros’ Open Society Institute ($12.6 million), the Jerome Kohlberg Trust ($11.3 million), the Ford Foundation ($8.8 million), and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation ($5.2 million).

as they say , follow the money.
TheNewAmerican
Campaign Finance Reform Conspiracy
by William Norman Grigg April 2, 2005
Quote:
~snippets

I'm going to tell you a story that I've never told any reporter," stated Sean Treglia, a former program officer of the Pew Charitable Trusts

In a March 17 story based on a videotape of Treglia’s presentation, Sager described how “Pew and other left-wing foundations plotted to create a fake grassroots movement to hoodwink Congress.”

“The target audience for all this activity was 535 people in Washington,” recalled Treglia — 435 congressmen and 100 senators. “The idea was to create an impression that a mass movement was afoot — that everywhere they looked, in academic institutions, in the business community, in religious groups, in ethnic groups, everywhere, people were talking about [campaign finance] reform.”

That money was distributed through a network of left-wing advocacy groups and media organizations to create the illusion of a nationwide groundswell of public support

And since the key figure who orchestrated this campaign has admitted to doing so on video, this is demonstrably a case of conspiracy fact — not conspiracy “theory.”

see the article atNYPost by the reporter who originally uncovered it for the details, and what this liberal foundation crowd bought with its $123 million
BUYING 'REFORM' By RYAN SAGER
March 17, 2005 --
Quote:
CAMPAIGN-FINANCE reform has been an immense scam perpetrated on the American people by a cadre of left-wing foundations and disguised as a "mass movement."

But don't take my word for it. One of the chief scammers, Sean Treglia, a former program officer of the Pew Charitable Trusts, confesses it all in an astonishing videotape I obtained earlier this week.
~snip
So shame on Pew for undertaking a sustained campaign to mislead the public and Congress. And shame on all of the journalists who let them slide.
Above all else, looking ahead: Shame on any news organization that lets the campaign-finance-reform lobby keep on portraying itself as a "movement" now that the facts have come out.
Now we'll see if sunlight is indeed the best disinfectant.
...more

A partial transcript of the Treglia tape is available at
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/transcript0.htm
Quote:
Treglia: Having been on the Hill I knew that ... if Congress thought this was a Pew effort, it'd be worthless. It'd be 20 million bucks thrown down the drain. So, in order, in essence, to convey the impression that this was something coming naturally from outside the Beltway, I felt it was best that Pew stay in the background...
Video Clips:
Treglia outlines how Pew created the impression of a "mass movement."
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/treglia1.wmv

Treglia explains how Pew stayed within the law.
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/treglia2.wmv

Treglia recounts how columnist George Will came close to exposing Pew.
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/treglia3.wmv
Quote:
Treglia: We had a scare. As the debate was progressing and getting pretty close, George Will stumbled across a report that we had done and attacked it in his column. And a lot of his partisans were becoming aware of Pew's role and were feeding him information. And he started to reference the fact that Pew had played a large role in this, that this was a liberal attempt to hoodwink Congress. But you know what the good news is from my perspective? Journalists didn't care. They didn't know what to make of it. They didn't care. They don't know about the sector, so no one followed up on the story. And so there was a panic there for a couple of weeks because we thought the story was going to begin to gather steam, and no one picked it up.

I watched the full video from a link at the seminar site. Some of the people in attendance at this seminar questioned this guy's ethics. At one point he said We stayed within the letter, if not the spirit of the law.

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate, your post reminded me of this article from Barbie's post about
a month ago.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/031105G.html

Quote:
~snip~And the first lobbyist who should be called out is none other than the Reformer-in-Chief, Sen. John McCain. The senator has been caught with his pants down this week, accepting what are essentially campaign contributions to a phony think tank called the Reform Institute.

The Institute, according to its Web site, is technically a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, "representing a thoughtful, moderate voice for reform in the campaign finance and election administration debates."

In reality, however, the organization might better be dubbed McCain 2008 headquarters. The head of the Institute's advisory committee is none other than McCain, and his name appears in every other press release. What's more, the manager of McCain's 2000 presidential campaign, Rick Davis, is president of the institute and draws a $110,000 a year "consulting fee" -- at least until the official campaign gets underway.

Major donors who wish to flatter the senator's vanity and give a boost to his presidential ambitions can write checks to the Institute in amounts that would be illegal many times over (under McCain-Feingold) if the checks went to the actual McCain campaign.

One such donor is Cablevision, which gave the Institute $100,000 right after its CEO, Charles Dolan, testified before McCain's Senate Commerce Committee in 2003. Another $100,000 check from Cablevision came into the Institute in August of 2004, 12 days before McCain wrote to Dolan about a pending pricing issue, urging him to "feel free to contact me and discuss these issues further."

McCain, of course -- ever the scrappy underdog fighting for the little guy against the moneyed interests -- argues that the donations and the political help to Cablevision have nothing to do with one and other. In fact, he argues, no donation to the Reform Institute could possibly curry favor with him. (Cablevision must really just love clean government!) "There's not a conflict of interest when you're involved in an organization that is non-partisan, nonprofit, nonpolitical," he said.

Well, McCain can tell that to the NRA, the ACLU, the AFL-CIO and the rest of the non-partisan groups that sued to overturn his law.

In the meantime, he should be convicted in the court of public opinion based solely on the "appearance of corruption" -- after all, that's the standard by which he judges the public's right to speak.

Given these shenanigans, will Congress really listen now that he's calling again for further restrictions?.....~snip~

This makes me so furious I could spit nickels!!!
While the Dems are going all out to flay Tom Delay, McCain is getting a pass.

The Sanctimonious Senator has got his hands real dirty here and was found out!!
This article was from March 11th. There was a little flap for a few days (mainly by bloggers) and
now the issue has faded.

Given that McCain now says that he will vote with the Dems on the issue of the filibuster, it makes me
wonder if he made a deal for his vote in exchange for overlooking his
obvious sham set up of his phony Reform Institute.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Doug Ireland, the only Media attention that McCain's
cozy little scheme got was a buried story by the AP here:

http://www.opednews.com/irelandDoug_031005_mccain.htm

See also:
http://www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/campfund01bk.htm

Back on March 9th, Captain Ed listed come of the BIG DONORS
to McCain's Reform Institute.
Why are all these Far Left organizations contributing to what is basically
McCain's new *campaign fund*???

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/004026.php
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Barbie2004
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This absolutely must be kept in the forefront of all we focus on.

Think about this:

Had this "Campaign Finance Reform" been interpreted as the "liberals" (really should be called exactly what they are: communists), there would have been no "Swiftboat Vets for Truth."

There is also a movement to make the internet (like sites like this) as regulated under "Campaign Finance Reform."

If anyone out there has more time than I do, I would appreciate if you would post.

We need to fight this with all our might!

Some blogs that are good places to start are:

www.hughhewitt.com
www.captainsquartersblog.com
www.rightwingnews.com

Be sure to go back at least a month, if not more. They are very interested in this subject, and Hugh in particular has some suggestions on how to fight this on his blog (he used to work for these types of beaurocracies.)

BTW: I will be very busy the next 2-3 weeks, but I will try to post and check in as much as possible. I have some personal matters that are taking most of my attention.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the main reason why the idea that McCain wants to seek higher office just boils me. No way, No how. There are others reasons, but this guy is a RINO, the Liberals pet. There needs to be a McCain Mutiny to drop Capt. McQueeg from the race.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: