SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

POP SMOKE! POPE inbound.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: POP SMOKE! POPE inbound. Reply with quote

POP SMOKE! Pope inbound. Over. Got you Lima Charlie. Identify Willie Peter White. Over. Roger that. Come on in.

(Drudge)
Quote:
Bells ringing signalling election of a pope.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from CNN

GERMANY'S RATZINGER IS 265TH POPE

Benedict XVI greets Vatican crowd
Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany was elected the 265th pontiff today by the College of Cardinals. He was announced as tens of thousands of people cheered in St. Peter's Square. Ratzinger has chosen the name Benedict XVI, the Vatican announced. The announcement came shortly after white smoke rose from the Vatican chimney and bells rang to announce that a new pope had been selected.

shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!!!!
A blow to the stupid MSM who were campaigning for a more moderate
choice fo Pope.

Cardinal Ratzinger was very close to Pope John Paul II and has been head of Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He is said to be even more zealous in the defense of orthodoxy than JPII.

He shares the view of the Polish Pope, that only a united Catholic Church with absolute values can stand against totalitarianism and the temptations of Western materialism. The cardinal was shocked by the reforms of the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s, when the old certainties gave way to intellectual and theological debate.He accused the MSM of exaggerating the extent of the pedophilia scandals in the North American Church and encouraged a return to the Latin Mass.

I bet the Libs will waste no time in raving and ravaging this selection
as they can't tolerate anyone with absolute values.

He is nicknamed "the enforcer" and "God's Rottweiler".

I LOVE IT!!! Let's watch the MSM go crazy!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over on good old PU, some are actually trying to say or insinuate that Bush and Karl Rove set this up. Rolling Eyes

LOL, what maroons Laughing Wink

They want a Pope that will saction any immorality they wish and to support political change for their agenda. Guess Separation of Church and State means nothing when they want their way. Wink

Since I'm not Catholic, the Pope's selection means very little to me, but I say it sounds like they make a pretty good choice.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some reactions to the election of Cardinal Ratzinger:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/19/international/worldspecial2/19cnd-conclave.html?
Quote:
Cardinals Choose a Close Aide to John Paul II to Lead Church
By IAN FISHER and LAURIE GOODSTEIN

Published: April 19, 2005

VATICAN CITY, April 19 - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany was elected pope today, taking the name Benedict XVI, then telling a wildly cheering crowd from a balcony on St. Peter's Basilica, "I entrust myself to your prayers."

The 265th leader of the Roman Catholic Church, smiling broadly, was introduced by Cardinal Medina Estevez of Chile, who emerged from behind huge velvet drapes to announce, "We have a new pope!"

His selection came in the evening of the second day of the conclave of cardinals in the Sistine Chapel. Bells rang out over St. Peter's Square and white smoke drifted from a Sistine Chapel chimney signaling that the ballot had been decided.

The new pope, who was born in Marktl am Inn, Germany, and turned 78 on Saturday, was one of the closest collaborators of John Paul II. As the head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith he has been the church's doctrinal watchdog since 1981.

He has been described as a conservative, intellectual clone of the late pontiff, and, as the dean of the College of Cardinals, he was widely respected for his uncompromising, principles and his ability to be critical.

As an ultraconservative, he had shut the door on any discussion on several issues, including the ordination of women, celibacy of priests and homosexuality, defending his positions by invoking theological truth. In the name of orthodoxy, he is in favor of a smaller church, but one that is more ideologically pure.

On Monday, at a Mass before the conclave convened, he delivered an uncompromising warning against any deviation from traditional Catholic teaching.

In private, he is known as a thoughtful thinker and shy, if not aloof. He is also an accomplished pianist, favoring Beethoven.

The election of Ratzinger took Germans by surprise even though he had been identified as a front-runner.

Almost immediately after the news was announced, crowds started gathering in the new pope's hometown of Marktl am Inn in Bavaria. Chancellor Gerhard Schroöder called it "a huge honor for Germany," and President Horst Koehler said "a compatriate pope filled us with a special kind of joy and a little bit of pride in Germany."In the United States, a State Department spokesman, Adam Ereli, said America "welcomes the announcement."

"We look forward to working with His Holiness and the Holy See to build upon our already bilateral relationship and to promote human dignity across the world," Mr. Ereli said.

In New York City, 77-year-old Gloria Cummings said she was disappointed with the choice.

"I'm not happy because he's too conservative and old and I would like to see a younger and more liberal pope in there," Ms. Cummings told The Associated Press. "I fear the church won't progress and will just become staid. We need a change."

Bishop Kevin Dowling, a liberal Catholic who is vice chairman of the Justice and Peace Commission of the Southern African Catholic Bishops Conference, said that Catholics who favor orthodoxy will be pleased with the elevation of the new pope, though those who favor change may not be.

"For people who were looking for a church that would be open to debating and discussing and reflecting on some of the crucial issues of modern times in relation to the globalized world - poverty, injustice, homosexuality, the massive AIDS pandemic and the issue of protection of lives . . . these people may have concerns," Bishop Dowling said.

William Donohue, president of the Catholic League, applauded the choice.

"The new pope, like his predecessor, understands the grave danger that awaits a society wherein each individual makes up his own morality," he said in New York, The A.P. reported. "It may not sell in the U.S., but it is nonetheless true that a society that refuses to acknowledge that morality is a social attribute, not an individual one, is bound to culturally implode.

The new pope had had a high profile over the past month, presiding over several public services, from the Good Friday Via Crucis, where he spoke unusually harshly about the ills of the modern church, to John Paul's funeral. ~snip~

~snip~As on Monday, St. Peter's Square welled with thousands of spectators - nuns, priests, tourists, Italians. The faithful debated whether it should be a conservative or a moderate; an Italian or Latin American; Cardinal Ratzinger, or someone of his choosing, or someone opposed to him and his more doctrinal beliefs.

"It's a little bit nerve-wracking," said Patrick Harvey, 40, of Washington, D.C., a Catholic who happened to be in Rome and has gone to the square to watch the smoke both times. "It's a very pivotal time for the church whether it will go to the left or the right or the center."

As conservative Catholic myself, I have had it with Liberal activists
whining that the Church has to accomodate those who want to change
church doctrine (2000 years) to square it with their modern moral views or else lose members.
I am a traditionalist, just as I am with the Constitution.(200 Years)

IT IS WHAT IT IS!! If you don't love it, leave it.

From the article:
"In the name of orthodoxy, he is in favor of a smaller church, but one that is more ideologically pure."

My sentiments exactly!! If you don't want to comply with Church doctrine
then go elsewhere. We may be a smaller church, but we will be a purer
Church.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me, from what I remember from Sunday School, Jesus set out doctrines while here and didn't cater to the masses.

Whining Liberals crack me up. As if they are deeply religious?

It still amazes me how they are always crying about Separation of Church and State, yet want a Liberal Pope to influence US Political decisions and doctrines.

As almost every single Talk Show host said today (any worth listening to, that is Wink ) "Go form your own Church, leave ours alone!"
lonevoice
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum!!!

Habemus Papam!!!

Eminentissimum ac Reverendissimum Dominem Cardinalem Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae Joseph Alois Ratzinger!!!

Qui sibi nomen imposuit: Benedict XVI

Thank you, Lord, for our new shepard. Very Happy

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant.
-me
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being Presbyterian in the best Scots-Irish tradition I am glad the RC church has a man of orthodox faith (not a "Hardliner" to you of the MSM) or better said, one who believes in the unchanging truths. We respected JP II for what he was, a man of faith and a leader. Many of the clergy of the Protestant denominations should pay attention. I defer to "The Apostles Creed".
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope he is with us for a while:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/04/20/pope.health/index.html

Quote:
New pope suffered 1991 brain hemorrhage
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 Posted: 11:38 AM EDT (1538 GMT)

VATICAN CITY (CNN) -- When he was a cardinal in 1991, Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, suffered a brain hemorrhage "which laid him down for a while, but he recovered from it," said CNN Vatican analyst John Allen on Wednesday.

The 78-year-old cardinal, chosen on Tuesday to become the new pope, now "appears to be in basically good health," but also is aware that his pontificate may not last "very long," said Allen, author of a 2000 biography of Ratzinger, "Cardinal Ratzinger: The Vatican's Enforcer of the Faith."

"About two years ago he was experiencing fatigue, but appears to have picked up from that," Allen said.

Ratzinger's brother Georg Ratzinger has raised questions about whether someone of the pope's age is fit for the post.

Before Benedict was elected pope, Georg Ratzinger said he was "convinced" that his brother would "be spared from this burden. At age 78, it's not good to take on such a job which challenges the entire person and the physical and mental existence," Allen said.

"At an age when you approach 80, it's no longer guaranteed that one is able to work and get up the next day."

Allen said the new pope's health is "OK," and "everyone who has worked with him and seen him in recent months, including myself, would say he appears to be in basically good health."

"But on the other hand, let's not kid ourselves," Allen said. "At 78 years of age it's unlikely we're going to see another 26-year pontificate," such as John Paul II's, which lasted from 1978 to his death on April 2 at age 84.

When Ratzinger told cardinals in the conclave why he wanted to take on the name Benedict XVI, "one of the things he alluded to was the fact that Benedict XV, the last pope to have that name, had one of the shortest pontificates of the 20th century," Allen said.

"So I think he has a very keen sense that this may not be a very long pontificate and there's an awful lot to do."
crockspot
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Over on good old PU, some are actually trying to say or insinuate that Bush and Karl Rove set this up. Rolling Eyes

LOL, what maroons Laughing Wink

They want a Pope that will saction any immorality they wish and to support political change for their agenda. Guess Separation of Church and State means nothing when they want their way. Wink

Since I'm not Catholic, the Pope's selection means very little to me, but I say it sounds like they make a pretty good choice.

How dare they select a Pope who's so....... Catholic!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crockspot, I chuckled when I read your post.
YOU SAID IT!!!

I just came across this article from the U.K. It really says it all.
Quote:
April 21, 2005

Shock! New Pope a Catholic

Gerard Baker

Pinning a conservative label on Benedict XVI is absurd. His mission transcends Left and Right

WHAT HAS been most enjoyable about the stunned reaction of the bulk of the media to the election of Pope Benedict XVI has been the simple incredulousness at the very idea that a man such as Joseph Ratzinger could possibly have become leader of the universal Church.
Journalists and pundits for whom the Catholic Church has long been an object of anthropological curiosity fringed with patronising ridicule have really let themselves go since the new pontiff emerged. Indeed most of the coverage I have seen or read could be neatly summarised as: “Cardinals elect Catholic Pope. World in Shock.”

As headlines, I’ll grant you, it’s hard to beat God’s Rottweiler, The Enforcer, or Cardinal No. They all play beautifully into the anti-Catholic sentiment in intellectual European and American circles that is, in this politically correct era, the only form of religious bigotry legitimised and sanctioned in public life. But I ask you, in all honesty, what were they expecting?

Did the likes of The Guardian, the BBC or The New York Times think there was someone in the Church’s leadership who was going to pop up out on the balcony of St Peter’s and with a cheery wave, tell the faithful that everything they’d heard for the past 26 — no, make that 726 — years was rubbish and that they should all rush out and load up with condoms and abortifacients like teenagers off for a smutty weekend? Or did they think the conclave would go the whole hog and elect Sir Bob Geldof (with Peaches, perhaps, as a co-pope) in an effort to bring back the masses?

It has been fun (and revealing) to watch as the cardinals’ deliberations have been portrayed, with so little imagination or understanding, as a classic left-right battle between conservatives (bad, of course) and progressives (good). But it bears little reality to the way the Church’s leadership really thinks about its future.

The “conservative” label immediately pinned on Pope Benedict is for a start, hardly helpful. He, like the last one, defies easy characterisation in political terms. He was one of the intellectual driving forces behind the reforming Second Vatican Council. He has, like his predecessor, spoken out strongly against the war in Iraq, and indeed against the use of military force in all but the most exceptional of circumstances. He is in the broad church of prelates who, as William Rees-Mogg pointed out in these pages last week, essentially regard modern capitalism with moral disdain.

Sure, he is doctrinally a traditionalist, but this is misunderstood too. If you, as the papacy does, claim direct authority, through your 264 predecessors from the ministry of St Peter, who, the Gospels tell us was inaugurated into that ministry by the Son of God while he was present on earth, is it really possible to take anything other than a bit of a traditionalist view when it comes to doctrinal matters?

Don’t get me wrong; I’m not suggesting, at this sensitive moment, that God is a Tory. But the Church’s mission is to bear witness to the truth. The truth is not something that needs redefining each time a pope dies.

And it’s not really evident that churches that have made the kind of accommodations with modernity that are urged on the Vatican have fared all that well. The Church of England is a mostly genial institution led, in Rowan Williams, by a good and holy man, but I don’t get the sense that the post hoc validation of modern social mores that the C of E has been practising for some time has led to a religious awakening among the British.

Of course I’m being slightly unfair. There were choices on offer to the cardinals. They could have chosen a less challenging, less insistent voice for unwavering orthodoxy. But the idea that there was some radical alternative on offer who would have shifted the direction of the Church is way off the mark.

Two clues tell us what this papal selection truly represents. The first is the speed with which Cardinal Ratzinger was chosen. Four ballots, in less than 24 hours, was all it took for at least two-thirds of the cardinals (and probably many more) to establish a consensus in favour of this man. Why?

The answer lies in the nature of this succession. Though they loved and revered John Paul II, many cardinals still found themselves surprised at their own and the world’s reaction to the late Pope’s death. Only in the mourning did they fully grasp the significance of the historic phenomenon that he represented.

In the days leading up to the conclave the buzzword, if the Holy Spirit can be said to have such a thing, was Continuator. The cardinals wanted to anoint someone who would represent continuity with the dead Pope’s firm restatement of the church’s doctrines and values. There was no one who better offered the prospect of a reaffirmation of that papacy.

The other clue lies in the new Pope’s choice of name. The cardinals think long and hard about the choice of a papal nomen. It is intended as a clear signal of their intent. Much attention has focused on the previous 15 popes called Benedict. But it is worth remembering that the first St Benedict was not a pope, but the founder of the monastic order that bears his name.
Benedict is the patron saint of Europe. His principal legacy — the Benedictines — was critical in planting the roots of Christianity throughout Europe in the dark, post-Roman period of the 6th and subsequent centuries. Without Benedict, Europe may not have been the centre of Christianity in the Middle Ages that made it the birthplace of modern civilisation.

The conclave clearly shared the view of John Paul II that Europe confronts another similar challenge — the lure of relativist, materialist secularism that is steadily stifling the Church in its birthplace. In choosing this Benedict, from the heart of Europe, they have demonstrated the Church’s intention to meet this challenge, not with compromise and accommodation, but with the unbending affirmation of the universal, eternal truth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,19269-1578210,00.html
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The truth is not something that needs redefining each time a pope dies.

Last I heard, truth is truth. It never needs "redefining." Of course, the "Looney Left" doesn't see it that way. Truth seems to change with them on a whim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: