SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Will Be the Next Pope?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Who Will Be the Next Pope? Reply with quote

My bet is that someone that has the will to continue John Paul's work eliminating communism from the face of the earth. There may one Cardinal "in petto" who hails from China, Bishop Joseph Zen Ze-kiun, may have been appointed as a secret cardinal by the Pope in 2003.

The pontification of Zen Ze-kiun would set the asian world alight with hope of freedom for billions and would add many conversions along the way.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
greasepaint
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another election...wonderful...just what we need
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Florida Courts won't be involved. Only the hierarchy of the RC church will decide. No recounts.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
At least Florida Courts won't be involved. Only the hierarchy of the RC church will decide. No recounts.

The Cardinals just keep voting until they get the candidate they want elected.

Somewhat like how Kerry supporters voted in more than a few states during our last election.

Cool Cool Cool

PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else care to speculate where the next Pope will come from? They have a tough act to follow that is for sure.

I often wondered if God had a plan when Pope John Paul the First died just thirty three days after taking over the church. Why did a unknown Polish Cardinal rise to the top of the list, when his name was never mentioned before? Was there divine intervention in the selection process?

I believe it can be said that Pope John Paul the Second was appointed directly by the hand of God and he made a fine selection for us all.

Cool Cool Cool

GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next Pope will probably be Cardinal Ratzinger. He is a conservative and the church needs conservative leadership as opposed to liberal thinking. They barely avoided a split within the church in America over the sexual abuse cover-ups and are hard pressed to clean up the American problem as well as re-affirm the churches conservative dogma. He is also old and would not hold onto the papacy for a long period of time, which I believe is crucial to the thinking of papal election at this time. The Cardinals know they must appoint a conservative, yet wish for a short tenure. Many of them have grand ideas, but now is not the time for grand ideas. Just my thought.
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
The next Pope will probably be Cardinal Ratzinger. He is a conservative and the church needs conservative leadership as opposed to liberal thinking. They barely avoided a split within the church in America over the sexual abuse cover-ups and are hard pressed to clean up the American problem as well as re-affirm the churches conservative dogma. He is also old and would not hold onto the papacy for a long period of time, which I believe is crucial to the thinking of papal election at this time. The Cardinals know they must appoint a conservative, yet wish for a short tenure. Many of them have grand ideas, but now is not the time for grand ideas. Just my thought.

You may be right, Ratzinger is an insider who has worked at the Vatican for years. His age is a factor (78 I believe) that may work against his pontification. One more point; what can he do to expand the church around the world?

A Pope from Africa, India or China would promote the church in areas ripe for conversion and enlightenment. A growing church is a properous church.

Electing a Pope from Europe would bring back the old problems that nearly brought down the church during Pope John IV's leadership. The Italians have a large voting block and I am sure they would like to regain the seat of power in Rome, their home court. I hope they don't.

tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt:
Quote:

Somewhat like how Kerry supporters voted in more than a few states during our last election.

Main difference: It will be a voice vote, all the Cardinals will be ALIVE when they vote!
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony54 wrote:
PhantomSgt:
Quote:

Main difference: It will be a voice vote, all the Cardinals will be ALIVE when they vote!

Actually their votes are written on secret ballots. At the end of the days vote the ballots are traditionally burned in a small wood stove; black smoke coming from the chimney adjacent to Saint Peter's Square and there is no Pope, white smoke from the chimney signals a Pope is elected.

Cool Cool Cool

tony54
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhantomSgt:
Quote:
Actually their votes are written on secret ballots. At the end of the days vote the ballots are traditionally burned in a small wood stove; black smoke coming from the chimney adjacent to Saint Peter's Square and there is no Pope, white smoke from the chimney signals a Pope is elected.

Thanks for the correction, but I was half right, the ones that vote must be alive when they vote, unlike some of the votes here in Ohio.

Thay also must be under 80 years old; the US Congress should look at that rule!
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it is the Cardinal from China, maybe Rice's visit to that Church in China was a sign of things to come!! Very Happy

I am thinking that they may elect a pope from South America. The largest population of Catholics is in South America but the Far Left rhetoric there has reached Frenzy stages in some places which gives me some concern. Venenzuela has started a policy of redistributing wealth and has embraced Karl Marx to the point of giving speaches wearing a red shirt with the likeness of Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara emblazoned on it. Brazil is also leaning in this direction and they have the largest Catholic Population in the world.

I'm afraid we might need to fight Communism a little closer to home than China. I just hope that if they do elect a Pope from South America, that they aren't fooled into picking a false one.

SBD
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reprinted from NewsMax.com

Sunday, April 3, 2005 6:01 p.m. EDT

Saint's Prophecy: Only Two Popes Remain

When the cardinals of the world pick John Paul II's successor, they may well be choosing the next-to-last pope.

The pope who then follows this choice in the Chair of St. Peter will be the last pope, and after his reign Rome will be destroyed.

Such has been the prophecy of St. Malachy, an Irish bishop who at his death in 1148 A.D. was discovered to have left behind a prophetic list of all future popes beginning with Pope Celestine II, whose papacy began in 1143 A.D.

Malachy included a single line in Latin identifying a characteristic of each pope.

Historians say Malachy's prediction – wherein he listed just 112 popes – has been amazingly accurate.

According to his list, there are just two more popes after the late John Paul II.

Here are the seven last popes as identified from St. Malachy's list:

106. Pius XII 1939 - 1958
Eugenio Pacelli
Pastor Angelicus
Translated: An Angelic Shepherd

107. John XXIII 1968 - 1963
Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli
Pastor Et Natua
Translated: Pastor and Mariner

108. Paul VI 1963 - 1978
Giovanni Battista Montini
Flos Florum
Translated: Flower of Flowers

109. John Paul I 1978 - 1978
Albino Luciani
De Medietate Lunae
Translated: Of the Half Moon

110. John Paul II 1978 - 2005
Karol Jozef Wojtyla
De Labore Solis
Translated: From the Toil of the Sun

111. The next pope
"Gloria Olivae"
Translated: The Glory of the Olive

112. The last pope!
"Petrus Romanus"
Translated: Peter the Roman

Wrote St. Malachy of the last pope: "In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge the people. The End."

According to his biographer St. Bernard of Clairvaux, in his book "Life of Saint Malachy," the saint was known to have the gift of prophesy and had even predicted the exact day and hour of his own death. Saint Malachy was canonized in 1190 by Pope Clement III.

While in Rome in 1139, Saint Malachy is said to have gone into a trance and received a vision in which he foresaw all the popes from the death of Innocent II until the end of time.

Afterward he wrote a few words about each pope and gave the manuscript to Pope Innocent II, who is said to have deposited it in Vatican Archives, where it lay forgotten until it was discovered in 1590 and published. At the time, some questioned its authenticity and it has been the subject of debate ever since.

The manuscript contains 112 prophecies, which scholars have matched with each of the 110 popes and anti-popes since Innocent II .

Here are the prophecies for the most recent popes:

# Paul VI. The words of the 108th prophecy are "Flos Florum" (Flower of Flowers). The 108th pope after Innocent II was Paul VI (1963-7Cool. His coat of arms included three fleurs-de-lis (iris blossoms).

# John Paul I. The 109th is "De Medietate Lunae" (Of the Half Moon). The corresponding pope was John Paul I (1978-7Cool, who was born in the diocese of Belluno (beautiful moon) and was baptized Albino Luciani (white light). He became pope on August 26, 1978, when the moon appeared exactly half full. It was in its waning phase. He died the following month, soon after an eclipse of the moon.

# John Paul II. The 110th is "De Labore Solis" (Of the Solar Eclipse, or From the Toil of the Sun). The corresponding pope was John Paul II (1978-2005). John Paul II was born on May 8, 1920 during an eclipse of the sun. Like the sun, he came out of the East (Poland). Like the sun, he visited countries all around the globe.

Today the final two prophecies are yet to be fulfilled:

The 111th prophecy is "Gloria Olivae" (The Glory of the Olive). The meaning of the olive is unclear. The Order of Saint Benedict – not St. Malachy – has claimed that this pope will come from its ranks and Saint Benedict himself prophesied that before the end of the world his Order, known also as the Olivetans, will triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its final fight against evil.

The 112th prophecy says, "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Petrus Romanus (Peter the Roman), who will feed his flock amid many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people.

SBD
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

I'm a protestant, and not overly involved in that religion. But I respected Pope John Paul II, and I hope for your church's sake the cardinals elect somebody who will carry on with your traditions.

Like Rush was blabbering about today, it's important for the Church to stick to its traditions. If you want priests to marry, if you want female priests, if you want gay priests, start another church. If you choose to be a Catholic, then follow the church's traditions. If you can't handle that, then choose another church.

Or if you're in La-La-Land (California), and if you settle north of LA, then start your own cult/church. Just don't try to pollute my family and friends. (I'm well armed and I'm a good shot.)
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa_Static wrote:
Guys,

I'm a protestant, and not overly involved in that religion. But I respected Pope John Paul II, and I hope for your church's sake the cardinals elect somebody who will carry on with your traditions.

Like Rush was blabbering about today, it's important for the Church to stick to its traditions. If you want priests to marry, if you want female priests, if you want gay priests, start another church. If you choose to be a Catholic, then follow the church's traditions. If you can't handle that, then choose another church.

Or if you're in La-La-Land (California), and if you settle north of LA, then start your own cult/church. Just don't try to pollute my family and friends. (I'm well armed and I'm a good shot.)

Saint Peter's legacy lived on in Pope John Paul II; the church still has problems but the original founders created none of them, only weak men along the way did. JP II brought the church back from the brink of destruction and used his strong will to bring it back inline with the original teachings.

You have to ask yourself why John Paul I died after 34 days and a common man from Krakow was chosen to lead the church. God had a plan and needed a Valiant Knight of Faith to carry on his teachings for reform of his church.

If the Cardinals open their hearts, God will guide them to the right choice for a new Knight of the Faith.

Cool Cool Cool

srmorton
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who does not believe that God has a plan and purpose for
everything needs only to think about the juxtaposition of the cruel
death by starvation of a good Catholic girl and the gentle "going home"
of one of greatest Popes to ever lead the Catholic Church. This was
not an accident, just as the untimely death of JPII's predecessor was no
accident. I am not a Catholic, but I believe that the cardinals will make
the right decision and choose a worthy successor to this great man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: