SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mass. Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Vandalized for Third Time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Mass. Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Vandalized for Third Time Reply with quote

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1388148/posts

Quote:
Massachusetts Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Vandalized for Third Time
Worcester Telegram and Gazette ^ | 4/21/05 | Roman

Posted on 04/21/2005 7:16:07 AM PDT by pabianice

Vietnam Vets Memorial again targeted by vandals

WORCESTER, MA — As he pulled up to the state’s Vietnam Veterans Memorial at Green Hill Park yesterday, he noticed park officials chain-sawing the cherry and evergreen trees that had been vandalized Tuesday night.

“Not again,” is all Stan Filipkowski, president of the Vietnam Veterans for the Community, could think. “I can’t put it into words. It is getting to the point that it’s ridiculous.”

Vandals hacked tree branches, stripped bark and tossed newly flowered tree remnants into the reflecting pond.

Police Sgt. John J. Eager said the vandalism occurred overnight and was reported to the Police Department by Karen R. Greenwood, director of veterans services for Worcester.

“It happened during the night,” he said. “There are no suspects and no witnesses.”

It was the third act of vandalism to the memorial since it was dedicated in 2002 as the Massachusetts memorial to those who served and died in the Vietnam War. The largest vandalism incident occurred in September when three youths spray-painted the engraved rocks, doing about $10,000 in damage. The youths were placed on probation and required to perform community service.

Last week, permanent marker was used to ink a person’s name, a date and the phrase “I skipped school” on one of the stones, Ms. Greenwood said.

She said that although the park crew will take care of the trees, veterans in the area remain involved with the memorial and keep abreast of all incidents.

“People should be made aware. This is an ongoing issue that the public needs to be made aware of so they can be on the lookout,” Ms. Greenwood said.

Mr. Filipkowski’s organization is working with the History Club at Tahanto Regional High School in Boylston to bring the “Moving Wall,” a replica of the Vietnam memorial in Washington, D.C., to Worcester April 28 to May 1. Mr. Filipkowski said education is the biggest way to prevent vandalism of the Green Hill memorial in the future.

“I don’t think they (vandals) realize what it is,” he said. “We have two truckloads of vets and their families coming to Worcester to view the state memorial. They have never seen it, and they are going to arrive and see that it’s a dump.”

Fran Elliott of Worcester is a member of Vietnam Veterans for the Community and served in Vietnam in 1961 with the Navy. He said that because of the location, minor vandalism is expected, but the frequency of incidents makes him angry.

“There are too many young people that don’t understand the seriousness of it. They think it is just another place to raise hell,” Mr. Elliott said.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we need some Minutemen over there on the right (Left in reality) coast
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people wonder why we still despise cretins like Hanoi Jane and Hanoi John?

When I was growing up, veterans were respected as were their memorials. Had I ever defaced anything related to veterans I'd have been lucky to have the Police get me first, before my Dad and Uncles.

While they may not have directly ordered this vandalism, their claims and rhetoric way back when is still with us.

Recently, elsewhere, I mentioned that according to the Looney Left, we vets were never spat upon when we returned from Viet Nam. Why? They can find no "documented" evidence of it. However, both Hanoi John and Jane claimed atrocities were common everyday occurrences for us. Naval Intelligence, at the behest of Congress, investigated those claims and could not confirm a single one, no one else ever has either.

Other than isolated instances, such as My Lai, which was prosecuted, there is no documentation for their claims either, but that doesn't stop the Looney Left from still saying they happened.

This is the legacy left us by Hanoi Jane Fonda, Hanoi John "F"in sKerry, Ramsey Clark, Tom Hayden and uncounted Hollywood celebrities. This is the very reason I hold them all in such contempt. Evil or Very Mad Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: