SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muslims sue US over border stop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Muslims sue US over border stop Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4468931.stm
Who says the aclu is not out to destroy America

Quote:
Five American Muslims detained for more than six hours at the Canadian border have filed a lawsuit against the US Department of Homeland Security.

The five plaintiffs were returning by car from a religious conference in Toronto in December.

The suit accuses the government of violating the group's constitutional freedom of religion and protection against unlawful searches.

US customs has defended its procedures at border check-points.

The plaintiffs want no monetary damages but an end to such detentions.

'Unbelievable'

The suit brought by the New York Civil Liberties Union and other groups names the current head of homeland security, Michael Chertoff, as one of four defendants.

The five were part of a group of at least three dozen Muslim men and women who were stopped after returning from the annual "Reviving the Islamic Spirit" conference in Toronto in December 2004.

The plaintiffs said they were forced to hand over credit cards and other belongings and were searched, questioned, photographed and fingerprinted without explanation.

One of the plaintiffs, Sawsaan Tabbaa, said she had been told she was being pulled aside because of a random selection but then she saw other Muslims who had attended the conference.

"I am proud of being American but I couldn't believe my eyes something like this could happen," she said.

Those detained have never been charged with any crime.

Agency defends practices

US Customs and Border Protection spokeswoman Kristie Clemens declined to comment on the specific case as it was in litigation but she said the service's priority was to "prevent terrorists and their weapons from entering" the US.

The identity of people wishing to cross the border must be verified and fingerprinting is one way to do that, she added.

According to the agency, terrorist organisations have been using conferences like the one in Toronto to promote their cause and raise money.

The plaintiffs want an injunction that would bar the government from such detentions in the future and they also want the fingerprints and photographs taken that night to be expunged from government records.

wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACLU should be charged with Aiding and Abetting our enemies. The organization itself (and members) should be placed on the terrorist watch list. Not specifically for the above case, but for their overall practices. I am so tired of their BS. How in the hell did legislation ever get through that we taxpayers must pay their legal fees. They are following the communist doctorine to bring down our country. (Divide and Conquer) Should their be a movement similar to the Boston Tea Party, I'd definitely join in.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to cut off the ACLUs primary source of funding, that is Tax Dollars.
RogerRabbit
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM Strong wrote:
We need to cut off the ACLUs primary source of funding, that is Tax Dollars.

I think their funding comes from lawsuits where all the city coucils, school boards and what have you buckle under to these traitors and settle and give them our tax dollars. When these people get some kahoonas and take em on in court then they will be stopped
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought extortion was illegal? Oh I forgot, Jesse Jackson has been using the same scams for years, so it must be legal.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These folks just don't get it. Dont be angry at us for trying to protect our country from Muslim lunatics, be angry at your fellow Muslims for causing this mess. If the Muslim leaders don't change their attitude about this and start to act like Americans, then they will never be accepted as such.
We all need to be patient with this process and suck up whatever inconvenience happens to befall us. Go back as far in time as you can imagine, and a few nuts always ruin it for everyone else, and usually in the name of religeon.
And regarding the profiling, I don't pretend to be able to empathize, but they need to stop the whining. Leaving your own country to go and live in another one has it's price to pay. And this is not an isolated time in history, just a more dangerous one. The blacks in America have suffeerd through this for decades, just like the jews have for centuries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: