SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Kingdom for the Pill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: My Kingdom for the Pill Reply with quote

Came across an interesting article in "Spectator" about Catholics in America and how spoiled they are. You can read the article here:

www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8083

This article brought back memories of the rural church I attended in the Philippines for nearly four years. It was open-air affair with a roof and offered only the basic comforts of a plastic chair and ceiling fans that worked off and on. I recall they were off more than on.

During the service children would be playing amongst the worshipers and the occasional neighborhood dog or rooster would walk thru the hall. This didn't have any effect on the Priest or worshipers who took it all in stride and members of the congregation were always transfixed on the message presented by the Priest.

As I attend mass now in an air conditioned Cathedral in Guam, I know I don't feel as cool or comfortable as I did in the basic Filipino church and the massive choir doesn't sound quite as good as ten enthusiastic kids with an old guitar in Mindanao.

Maybe the people were poor monetarily, but they were rich in their love of the Lord and his message.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: