SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passing of a generation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Passing of a generation Reply with quote

If this is a "duplicate", I must have missed it. Check it out:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/PASSINGOFGENERATION.HTML
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Bless all those Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines who came before us and all those that follow after.

Independent that leans right of center.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great video about the passing of the Greatest Generation
and the The WWII Memorial is awesome
For those not aware, the WWII Memorial, also has an on-line Virtual Memorial

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/
National WWII Memorial

scroll to ...
World War II Registry
The memory of America's World War II generation is preserved within the physical memorial and through the World War II Registry of Remembrances

>They have started the database from records of
Buried in American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) overseas military cemeteries.

Memorialized on ABMC Tablets of the Missing.

Listed on official War and Navy Department Killed in Service rosters now held by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

>One can add themselves, or a loved one to the registry ( it's easy)
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather recently passed away and till the day he died he never spoke of what happened in WWII. He always said once he passed grandma could speak of it. Well she is silent.

At his funeral my father a Vietnam Veteran who didn't serve in combat remarked at his medal display. He said those are the medals given to the guys who see real combat. I commented about Kerry and his medals and my father told me medals are significant of the men who earn them. He said "your grandfather was wounded many times in the Pacific but kept fighting so he could keep watch over his men, the last injury he suffered was shrapnel which hit the left side of his body and put him into a coma for 1 month. Only one other person from his unit survived and that person was also knocked out." My grandfather was paralzyed for life on the left side of his body, yet managed to walk. He would always have his left hand in his pocket to show no display of injuury and never grimaced as he forced his left side to walk. As a kid I had no idea he wasn't able to walk. He showed no signs of pain. It will always be amazing to me that men are formed of such attribute.

I personally believe Vietnam showed just as great of warrior, but my lord how the left has tried to break that stoic self-less nature of man willing to die for country for the greater good of family. The reason why all countries are formed. The family unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: