SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CONGRESS GETS SIZZLING KOFI PAPERS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: CONGRESS GETS SIZZLING KOFI PAPERS Reply with quote

OH MY!!!!
Someone's not playing by the rules!!!
Quote:
CONGRESS GETS SIZZLING KOFI PAPERS

By NILES LATHEM Post Correspondent
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 6, 2005 -- WASHINGTON — Documents potentially devastating to U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan were handed over yesterday to a congressional committee in an explosive new development in the U.N. oil-for- food scandal.

House International Relations Committee Chairman Henry Hyde (R-Ill.) announced that Robert Parton, who resigned in protest from the investigation headed by Paul Volcker, had complied with the panel's subpoena.

Parton, who claimed Volcker probers had been too soft on Annan in their last report, turned over boxes of documents on Annan's son, Kojo.

He also provided two drafts far more critical of Kofi Annan than last month's final report, sources told The Post.

There was high drama surrounding the subpoena of Parton because he was subject to a confidentiality agreement with the Volcker panel. Immunity laws typically keep U.N. officials out of reach of congressional subpoenas.

After secretly receiving the subpoena last Friday, Parton's lawyer, Lanny Davis, asked Volcker and U.N. lawyers if they would instruct Parton to defy a congressional subpoena — but did not actually tell them he had been subpoenaed.

When the Volcker committee and the United Nations did not reply, Parton had "no choice" but to comply with the committee's subpoena, a source said.

News that Parton had turned over sensitive documents to Congress infuriated Volcker.

The Volcker panel's chief counsel, Susan Ringler, accused Parton of blindsiding the panel by not telling it about the subpoena.

"[This] calls into question your motivation," Ringler wrote to Davis, in a letter released last night.

http://nypost.com/news/nationalnews/43582.htm
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there has to be some really incriminating stuff in those boxes of documents and tapes
freepers had a live thread of Volcker's press conference yesterday, said he was practially incoherant...one thing clear -he wants those boxes back!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,155752,00.html
Fox has a write up
~snip
Quote:
Volcker said Friday that Congress has to restrain itself from requiring certain acts and information from current or former IIC members as it conducts hearings into Oil-for-Food .

"It is essential that it also protect the integrity and the confidentiality of the independent investigating committee," Volcker told reporters in New York, saying the probe involved "highly sensitive matters."

"Lives of certain witnesses are at stake," he added. "We're not playing games here, we are dealing, and let me just emphasize this, in some cases, with lives."

In a later question-and-answer session, Volcker did not elaborate too much on who may be threatened if too much information about who has cooperated is publicized, saying, "I couldn't tell you specifically who was threatening witnesses."

lives are at stake?
certainly some careers are
whole thing getting fishier and fishier
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we just dump the UN and move on with our American way of life?

I'm tired of hearing about this nesting place for the rodents of the world and paying for it.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting quotes from VOLCKER's press conference

QUESTION: A fundamental purposes here is that you personally seem to have lost some of the trust you enjoyed when you went into this. And we welcome the press conference and I invite you to take the opportunity to answer some of the questions outstanding about your own relationship with some of the people who are under investigation.

Particularly, you said in a Fox interview...

VOLCKER: With who?

QUESTION: You said in a previous Fox interview that you were a fly-fishing friend (OFF-MIKE), we'd like to know who that was. You also said you were a friend of Maurice Strong. We'd like to know more about that relationship. And I'd also like to know, sir...

(CROSSTALK)

QUESTION: We'd also like to know whether Mr. Strong was at all involved in bringing you into your present post.

VOLCKER: All right. Let me answer all those questions that have been answered before, and I hope that Fox News that you're referring to gives us the courtesy of actually publishing the answers, so to speak.

VOLCKER: Maurice Strong. Maurice Strong, I think, I first met, briefly, when he was a trustee of the Rockefeller Foundation in maybe 1975, as I was leaving the Rockefeller Foundation.

I did not say that I was friend of Maurice Strong. So I am not a friend -- in the investment banking world, I would be a friend. I am an acquaintance of Maurice Strong for some years.

He was the chairman, I'm told, of the Power Corporation from 1964 to 1966, before Paul Desmarais bought Power Corporation.

I was on the international advisory board of Power Corporation in 1988, 22 years later.

Maurice Strong had no connection with Power Corporation in those 22 years or at any time since so far as I know. Is that clear about Maurice Strong?

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE)

VOLCKER: No, absolutely not.

VOLCKER: I was on the advisory board of Power Corporation in 1988. The last meeting I attended, to the best of my memory, was in 1994.

The Desmarais family does some salmon fishing. I do some salmon fishing. I probably have gone salmon fishing with them five, six times maybe in the last 18 years.

QUESTION: Mr. Volcker, if I could just say I think some of us in the press appreciate the risks of people who delved into this...

VOLCKER: Well, I appreciate that.

QUESTION: The question I want to ask you actually follows on the Maurice Strong question which is, Maurice Strong did have a connection to Kojo Annan that was connected to the U.N.

QUESTION: What I would like to ask you is, in reading your recent report which focused on Kojo Annan and his father, there was no reference at all to Air Harbor Technologies where Kojo Annan and Maurice Strong joined the board on the same day, December of 1998, shared seats on the board, attended meetings to together.

And when Maurice Strong then left some time later, Michael Wilson of Cotecna, a direct U.N. connection -- why no mention?

VOLCKER: I don't recall whether we knew that Maurice Strong -- I just don't recall -- was involved in Air Harbor Technologies.

QUESTION: He was.

VOLCKER: Well, I didn't say he wasn't. I said I didn't know whether we were aware. I am aware now. I don't recall that we were aware at that time.

In any event, that connection of Kojo with Air Harbor Technologies took place well after the period that we were investigating, as I recall.

QUESTION: Sir, I'm sorry. It took place during the period of the payments that you've documented in your report.

VOLCKER: Perhaps.

QUESTION: It took place from 1990 -- and there is something very important for you to know: This information was available to me, a freelance journalist who spend $100 to get the corporate registry documents from the (OFF-MIKE) last year.

This is something where the question I was asking as I read through them and wrote a story about it recently is: Why with $30 million and more than 70 investigators is the Volcker Committee unaware of what has already been discussed, circulated and could be read if you read the registry document?

VOLCKER: When I refer to the period we were interested in I -- it's a question of defining the period we were interested in. We were focusing on the Kofi Annan question and Cotecna. And this took place later than that.

We were aware of that, but we have certain priorities and investigating time. And I believe that while Kojo is still under investigation, that falls in that category rather than the complete investigating job at that time.

QUESTION: So we can expect that you will in your final report give us a full and satisfying answer as to why this particular collection of U.N.-related people went through that board, including Maurice Strong, Michael...

VOLCKER: Well, as I say, my memory is that we didn't know about Maurice Strong at the time, which adds interest.

QUESTION: He never came to you then?

VOLCKER: Pardon me.

QUESTION: He never volunteered any information to you?

VOLCKER: He was not on our radar screen until recently.

VOLCKER: He is now.

SBD

Last edited by SBD on Sat May 07, 2005 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OCTOBER 25, 1996, FRIDAY

TOYOTA FORMS INT'L ADVISORY BOARD

DATELINE: NAGOYA, OCT. 25

TOYOTA MOTOR CORP. SAID FRIDAY IT HAS SET UP AN ADVISORY BOARD MADE UP OF OVERSEAS EXPERTS THAT WILL GIVE OPINIONS AND ADVICE TO THE AUTOMAKER FROM A GLOBAL POINT OF VIEW. MEMBERS OF THE INTERNATIONAL ADVISORY BOARD WILL EXCHANGE OPINIONS WITH TOYOTA EXECUTIVES ON ISSUES SUCH AS THE GLOBAL ECONOMY, THE COMPANY'S INTERNATIONAL STRATEGY AND CORPORATE ACTIVITIES, TOYOTA OFFICIALS SAID. AMONG THE SEVEN MEMBERS OF THE BOARD ARE FORMER FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD CHAIRMAN PAUL VOLCKER AND MAURICE STRONG, SENIOR ADVISOR TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE WORLD BANK. THE COMPANY PLANS TO HOLD THE FIRST MEETING OF THE BOARD IN JAPAN SOON, THE OFFICIALS SAID.

LOAD-DATE: October 26, 1996

SBD
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copyright 2004 Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Inc.
The Nikkei Weekly (Japan)

October 18, 2004 Monday

Toyota fueled by high-octane friends

Carmaker's global network of political, economic advisers integral to its huge success

Perched at the apex of corporate Japan, Toyota Motor Corp. has nurtured astonishing qualities that go beyond what is shown on the bottom line. The automaker is a comprehensive entity that incorporates a global human network with strategic and technological capabilities. While continuing to contribute to its home base of Aichi Prefecture, the company is growing in political importance throughout the world.

At the end of September, Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi shook hands with United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan and Anand Panyarachun, a former Thai prime minister, in the U.N. General Assembly. Panyarachun chairs the High-Level Panel on Threats, Challenges and Change that advises the secretary-general on U.N. reform, and he wields considerable influence on Japan's future, as the panel's agenda includes Japan's possible promotion to a permanent seat on the Security Council.

Panyarachun is also one of the 11 members of Toyota's International Advisory Board (IAB), which meets twice a year to give the company political and economic advice.

Annan approached Panyarachun to chair the panel in spring 2004 around the time an IAB meeting was being held. Another IAB member, Canadian diplomat Maurice Strong, recommended Panyarachun for the post.

The IAB often deals firsthand with international political and economic issues. John Jennings, a former chairman of the Royal Dutch/Shell group, has talked about energy issues based on Shell's scenario for long-term oil demand, which is supposed to be secret, and Paul Volcker, former chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve Board, has explained the future of fiscal policy.

SBD
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is up here and it involves the Clintons. Lanny Davis is not one to be trusted.
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Clinton connection between some of the players!!

Financial Times (London), March 13, 1995

Copyright 1995 The Financial Times Limited;
Financial Times (London,England)

March 13, 1995, Monday

SECTION: Pg. 16

LENGTH: 1282 words

Renaissance man gets the nod: Jurek Martin and George Graham on the US's nominee to be next president of the World Bank

BYLINE: By JUREK MARTIN and GEORGE GRAHAM

If a person may be judged by the quality of the company he keeps, then James D. Wolfensohn, nominated by President Bill Clinton over the weekend to be the next president of the World Bank, can be said, without a trace of cynicism, to be the man with the golden Rolodex. But it may also be that the battered 50-year-old institution is finally going to enjoy life again under its first true Renaissance Man.

The great and the good have always rated highly the 61-year-old Australian-born investment banker, a US citizen since 1980. Robert McNamara, the Bank's most distinguished president, recommended him as a successor when he stepped down in 1981, but the job went to a cautious banker, Tom Clausen. Paul Volcker, the legendary chairman of the US Federal Reserve Board, went to work for him when he left public service. In 1990 the Washington cultural establishment was delighted to recruit him to the unpaid but demanding position of chairman of the board of the Kennedy Centre for the Performing Arts, a position he has held while heading his investment bank.

Now it is apparent that another pillar of public life - Vice-President Al Gore - played a pivotal role in his selection, from a competitive field, to take over at the Bank from Lewis Preston, forced to retire because of illness. Mr Gore's approval matters because it serves as a shield to criticism from environmental and development lobbies that Mr Wolfensohn's record in both areas is scant. Support of his candidacy from Maurice Strong, the hard-nosed Canadian businessman/environmentalist who served with distinction as UN co-ordinator for African relief during the 1980s Ethiopian famine, may also set some doubting minds at rest.

But it was Mr Gore last week who really delivered the goods at two critical meetings. On Monday the administration's search committee met to discuss the Bank presidency. Its membership included Sandy Berger, deputy national security adviser, Frank Newman, number two at the treasury, Joan Spero, under-secretary for international economic affairs at the state department, Jan Piercy, US executive director at the Bank and an old college roommate of Mrs Hillary Clinton, Erskine Bowles, deputy staff director at the White House - and Jack Quinn, Mr Gore's chief of staff.

They discussed all the candidates - principally Mr Wolfensohn and Larry Summers from the US treasury, once the Bank's chief economist, but also Ken Brody, head of the Eximbank, Stan Fischer, now a deputy manging director at the IMF, and Gerry Corrigan, former head of the New York Fed and understood to be Mr Preston's personal favourite since they were colleagues at JP Morgan. No decision was made, beyond that the process should be settled within a week, although some participants urged a longer, more 'inclusive' search.

But the impulse to a quick decision was further driven by mid-week when it became apparent inside the White House that there were serious problems with another major nomination - of retired Air Force general Michael Carns to run the CIA. It appeared he had violated both immigration and taxation laws in his relationship with a young Filipino, who had been talking to the Republican-controlled Senate intelligence committee. With a long record of botched appointments the administration was keen to have the World Bank resolved with despatch.

Mr Wolfensohn flew back from Europe to meet Mr Gore in the White House on Thursday and the vice-president took him in to see Mr Clinton for a conversation that lasted a good 90 minutes. Exactly what was said by each man is not known, but it must be assumed that Mr Wolfensohn made his case with his customary force before sprinting back to the airport to return to Europe. Late on Friday the White House announced almost simultaneously that Gen Carns was withdrawing and that Mr Wolfensohn's name was going forward for approval by the World Bank board.

In the course of the five week campaign to succeed Mr Preston, Mr Wolfensohn's supporters have always made perfectly clear their conviction that he can bring intellectual rigour, focus and advocacy to the Bank, all necessary to bring it back into the political mainstream both in Washington and around the world. He would be determined to change its culture and make it less inward-looking and bureaucratic; he professes agnosticism on how deeply the Bank's staff needs cutting, but further downsizing beyond Mr Preston's reductions is surely inevitable; he would be an outspoken defender of the institution, unwilling to take lying down the criticisms of environmental and development lobbies any more than he has the onslaughts of cultural philistines during his management of the Kennedy Centre.

He would, as Mr Strong put it yesterday in commenting on a vital ingredient to the Bank's future at a time of reduced government support, 'have the ability to command the respect of the financial markets'. The Bank's share of net transfers of capital to the developing world last year shrank to a mere 3 per cent. Tapping private capital markets is considered essential to preserving its role and influence in the 21st century - and this would be advanced by an infusion of the private sector mentality into the Bank's culture.

Financial credentials, Mr Strong noted, might be a minus with environmentalists 'bound to be negative on any banker, but they don't know Jim Wolfensohn'. Mr Strong recalled his involvement with environmental and development causes, including serving as an adviser to the late Dame Barbara Ward at the Stockholm UN conference in 1972 and to himself in Rio in 1993.

Mr Wolfensohn's management skills cannot be doubted. He has a law degree from Sydney and an MBA from Harvard. He ran Salomon's investment banking department in New York and was Schroder's managing director in London. Both tenures were successful enough for him to set up his own investment bank, James D Wolfensohn Inc, in New York in 1981. Its investment clients cover the globe. It is a partner in the Russian-American investment bank and operates joint ventures in London with Lord Rothschild and in Tokyo with Fuji Bank.

His departure from the Kennedy Centre has saddened Washington's cultural elite. Lawrence Wilker, its president, said: 'He stepped into an institution that was bankrupt financially, in a terrible state of deterioration physically and on the decline in fundraising. And he helped turn all that around.'

Justifying Mr Strong's appellation of Renaissance Man, Mr Wolfensohn is an accomplished cellist, with a daughter who is a concert pianist, fenced for Australia in the 1956 Olympics, and serves on the boards of a catholic selection of corporate, cultural and academic institutions. He is rich, charming and blunt, not above cheerful recourse to four letter words.

Nobody disputes that the Bank needs the sort of leadership last, and controversially, wielded by Mr McNamara. Mr Willi Wapenhans' internal report in 1992 observed: 'A distinction between corporate direction and operational management is presently - and has been for some time - missing. Instead operational management filled the void and defined strategic direction.'

Mr Wolfensohn, an avowed devotee of the Wapenhans conclusions, can be expected to try and wrest strategy back from the powerful departmental clans, as his three predecessors were unable to do (though Mr Preston's attempt was cut short by his illness). Having made the case persuasively to his network of friends in other high places, he must now convince a bank staff long suspicious of outsiders and defensive after so much public criticism that he has the vision to launch the necessary revolution.

LOAD-DATE: March 13, 1995

SBD
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Something is up here and it involves the Clintons. Lanny Davis is not one to be trusted.
Did the Clintons get Lanny Davis to represent Parton?

possible Clinton connections to UN and $$....Mark & Denise Rich, and what about Soros?
SBD
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right, this has something to do with the Pardon Clinton gave when he left office. Wow, this just keeps getting more interesting by the minute.

SBD
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is rich...a US judge blocks US Congressional Subpoenas, in favor of an international body....

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=742467
Quote:
Court Favors U.N. on Oil-For-Food Papers

Federal Court Favors U.N., Says Ex-Investigator in Oil-For-Food Case Can't Share Papers
By NICK WADHAMS Associated Press Writer

UNITED NATIONS May 9, 2005 — The United Nations won an initial victory in federal court Monday blocking a former investigator from giving Congress documents that he took with him when he quit a probe of the Iraq oil-for-food program.

U.S. District Judge Ricardo Urbina in Washington issued the temporary restraining order in the effort by the U.N. to quash three congressional subpoenas for Robert Parton. The ex-FBI agent quit the U.N.-appointed Independent Inquiry Committee in April, reportedly because he believed it ignored evidence critical of U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan.

The court order freezes the legal issues, giving the two sides a 10-day window to attempt to resolve the matter.

Parton has already turned over documents from the investigation to the House International Relations Committee in response to a subpoena. He is also under subpoena from two other House investigations.

The chief of the U.N.-appointed investigative committee, former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker, sought the court petition, and the United Nations filed it on his behalf. Volcker said release of the documents could jeopardize his investigation and put witnesses' lives at risk.

more.....

Only a temporary win for the UN & Volcker, have to see how this plays out. Since Parton already turned docs over to one committee, apparently this must be to squash subpoenas to the other committees? These congresscritters should just thumb their noses at this judge and share the documents they have.

And what is this with Volcker and his lives are at risk,must be some really heavy stuff goin' on..
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha..one of those witnesses whose life is at risk surfaces

the plot thickens, apparently Volcker et all were trying to discredit this Mouselli's testimony by implying he is unstable, so that what he said, wouldnt be reliable.

Letter to Paul Volcker, May 9, 2005
From Adrian Gonzalez-Maltes ( Paris) Counsel to Pierre Mouselli

gist is, who knew what, and when they knew it ( Kofi)

14 page pdf http://www.pajamasmedia.com/Mouselli2Volcker-090505.php

from this site http://www.pajamasmedia.com/
in the letter, the attorney mentions 2 journalists / guess- maybe this is an annon site for one of them
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate wrote
Quote:
in the letter, the attorney mentions 2 journalists / guess- maybe this is an
annon site for one of them

Not so anonymous, appears to be a new affiliation of bloggers.

From Roger Simon's blog:

http://www.rogerlsimon.com/
"The Pajama Game is the game we're in...
... "And we'll always be in the pajama game - we love it!" Well, you know the rest (if you're old enough and you're probably not). But in any case, as a reminder, Charles Johnson and I, plus some "Unknown Blogger" will tell all (or some) about our version of the Pajama Game (Pajamas Media) on Kudlow & Co. on CNBC this afternoon at about 5:40 Eastern. And speaking of Pajamas Media [Aren't you always?-ed.], blog sign-ups have reached the magic number of 250. [Remember to give the email address.-ed.] Oh, yes, it's join@pajamasmedia.com.

UPDATE: Video of segment here. RadioBlogger, as per usual, has a transcript.

AND.... Due to the buzz surrounding Pajamas Media, a revival of The Pajama Game has been announced.(photoshop cred: Martin Larsen)

Posted by Roger L. Simon at 09:46 AM
Email this post | Comments (16) | Link

http://www.nysun.com/article/13260
Claudia Rosett
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: