SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hitler bunker survivor surfaces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Hitler bunker survivor surfaces Reply with quote

http://www.washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20050502-073736-4604r.htm

Quote:
Hitler bunker survivor surfaces

Berlin, Germany, May. 2 (UPI) -- A nurse who was in Adolf Hitler's Berlin bunker when he killed himself in 1945 has surfaced with new details of the final days of World War II.

In an interview with the Guardian, 93-year-old Erna Flegel described the early hours of April 30 1945, when the German fuhrer shot himself.

"He came out of the side-room, shook everyone's hand, and said a few friendly words. And that was it," she said.

She said Hitler was so paranoid he even suspected spies had filled his cyanide capsule with false poison, which is why he shot himself.

Now living in a nursing home, Flegel described Hitler's mistress, Eva Braun, as a "young girl" who "had no meaning" and said the death of Hitler's dog Blondi "affected us more than Braun's suicide."

Flegel's existence only emerged after a transcript of an interview she gave to U.S. interrogators immediately after the war surfaced in a CIA archive.

Soviet troops took control of the bunker 60 years ago Monday, on May 2, 1945.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf, more detailed info on this freeper thread, including Ms Flegel's full interview with the Guardian.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1395056/posts

this left me cold, Frau Goebbels had her own 6 children killed, gessh were there no relatives anywhere to take them?!?
Quote:
Did you try and persuade Frau Goebbels not to kill her own children?

You have to understand that we were living outside normal reality. I wanted her to at least take one or two children out of Berlin. But Frau Goebbels told me: 'The children belong to me. Everything belongs to me.' But I still didn't understand how she could kill six children. Generally, Frau Goebbels looked after the children. But one evening she said to me: 'I have to go to the dentist and can't be with them, and I would like you to say good night to them. I said: 'Of course. I'll do it. Don't worry.

Ms Flegel stayed and witnessed the deaths of the Goebbels family. Dr Helmut Kunz, a dentist, had injected the children aged four to 12 with poison, she said. Later the same evening their parents killed themselves

foot note:
Ms Flegel was interviewed by the US Strategic Services Unit, one of the precursors of the CIA, in November 1945

The interview went missing until 1981, when a Connecticut doctor and amateur historian stumbled on it in an army archive and sent it to Richard Helms, the US intelligence chief in 1945 Berlin and later CIA director. He wrote back saying: "It is probably one of the most accurate interviews obtained and has thus far never been quoted, as far as I know, in any of the massive books about Hitler's Germany."

Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate-
Wow. Just wow.
Amazing how everyone was so brainwashed - processing their brains to think that was an ok thing to do. I wonder how survivors like this nurse has fared throughout these many years, after reality set in. Anyone now dead or still living had to be forever caught in his crazy vortex.
nccjones
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me that she has no regrets even to this day. It never says that she was actually part of the Nazi Party, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. After all, she still has the table cloth from the Reichschancellory. Good article though. She definately speaks with clarity.

I read Traudl Jung's book last year and found it very interesting. What I liked about Traudl's book is she very much looked at everything going on around her as a young girl star-strucked. Not believing her luck as to where she ended up but in the end regrets all that happened which this nurse does not.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting aside about Frau Goebbels was that she had been a Zionist, spoke Hebrew and had lived a couple of years on an Israeli kibbutz after the First War. (Goebbels had started as a Communist) An opportunist, she turned that fanatacism to the Nazis and grabbed on to Joseph for a ride to the top. She turned her back as her earlier friends went to the camps. She carried an unrequited torch for Hitler and often served as a surrogate mother. For her Adolph was God and all else was expendable and meaningless.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: