SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Louisiana Recalls 53,000 HS Diplomas-'A.D.' Date Changed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Louisiana Recalls 53,000 HS Diplomas-'A.D.' Date Changed! Reply with quote

http://story.neworleanssun.com/p.x/ct/9/cid/58efbe858884606b/id/f34336340de18395/

Quote:
Louisiana "Recalls" Nearly 53,000 High School Diplomas

The Louisiana Department of Education has recalled nearly 53,000 high school diplomas sent to school districts across the state because of a change made to diploma format that the department says did not get the approval of State Superintendent of Education Cecil Picard. On the date line of diplomas recently mailed out across the state, the traditional letters "A.D." printed next to the date, were replaced with the letters "C.E."
A.D. refers to "anno domini" or "in the Year of the Lord". The letters "C.E.", which refer to "Common Era", have become more commonly used in recent years and are seen by some as being "politically correct."
The situation was brought to the state's attention by Bossier Parish School Superintendent Ken Kruithof. Kruithof says he was alerted to the change by the printer responsible for filling in the names of students who are to receive diplomas in Bossier Parish

Doug Myers, Director of Communications at the Louisiana Department of Education, says the department formed an internal committee to consider revising and updating diplomas. Myers says that committee decided to change the lettering to "C.E." rather than "A.D." Myers says the committee saw the change as being "administrative and technical in nature" and therefore did seek the approval of Superintendent Picard.

Myers says Picard has now ordered that "the unapproved diplomas NOT be used." Myers says replacement diplomas are being printed using the old format and will be distributed to schools for their 2005 graduates. Myers says all diplomas should reach school districts in time for graduation. Myers says Picard has ordered that all unapproved diplomas by destroyed. "The superintendent has made it clear that no changes will be made to the diploma certificate unless he and BESE (Board of Elementary & Secondary Education) approve the changes," Myers said in a written statement.

For now, the Bossier Parish School Board has put its printing process on hold as it waits for replacement diplomas to arrive. “The thing that kind of upsets me is that a small group of people decided to do this and they didn’t bother to let anybody know,” Kruithof said.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of CE, why not give them the option of PC for anyone that stupid.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doug Myers, Director of Communications at the Louisiana Department of Education

The hubris of this individual and his liberal ilk is staggering, just staggering.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made me dig out my HS and Univ diplomas. Like my father's they didn't use AD, After Ford or any such thing but the quaint "In the year of our Lord" with the year spelled out. Mother's New York City HS used 'Anno Domini' but then Latin was a requirement (as was Greek!).

If we're going to change our calender reckoning I'ld grasp 'In the Fifth Year of George W Bush but what is the Current Era? Since Louis XIV?, since the founding of the Republic?, Since FDR?, or the Martyrdom of the First Black President, Bubba Bill?

-Wlm Shakespeare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: