SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acree vs IRAQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Acree vs IRAQ Reply with quote

This email was sent to Foxnews Journalist Linda Vetter, after a 2 minute interview with Col Cliff Acree and His attorney concerning the Supreme Courts ruling "not" to review the Desert Storm Ex Pow's lawsuit, "Acree vs Iraq". The Desert Storm Pow's sued Iraq for their torture and won a judgement only to have it overturned in a higher court ruling. The email is posted to stimulate discussion about this case.Dear Linda,

I wanted to follow up to the email I sent yesterday regarding the Col Acree Interview you conducted with Col Acree and his attorney on Dayside. I realize time was limited yesterday but I think you and Fox News really owe them an apology. Please allow me to explain. During the interview the crawler kept reminding the audience that they (Pow's) were awarded 981 million dollars .This is a real disservice to the lawsuit which was not, is not and will never be about money. You also ambushed Col Acree by telling him that 2 marines in the audience do not agree with him or the lawsuit. I would agree that it would be hard for people to understand that 981 million dollars is a lot of money, but again the lawsuit has never been about the monetary award.

Every military veteran including myself understands that when one joins the service, you expect to go into harms way, that you could be captured by the enemy and become a Prisoner of War and if needed willingly give your life for this country. That is an unquestioned given!. As the 2 marines stated , Col Acree and the others should have realized that and shouldn't be using that reason as a means to sue. The Pow's couldn't agree more with those marines opinion. The news media keeps hammering the point that these Pow's were awarded all this money and now can't collect. That position is pure nonsense!

This case is about future generations of military and civilians who might find themselves in similar circumstances including those 2 marines. This case supported by law which allowed it's existence, is meant to hold countries accountable for their actions against Americans who may find themselves in a Prisoner status.

If this case fails to hold Iraq accountable then what nation in the future is going to adhere to Geneva Convention rules ? You can be assured other nations are watching this case closely. The International effect could undermine any and all future Pow's survivability.

The National effect as well as our own National Security could be at stake. What young man or woman or family would want to entertain the thought of a military career knowing that if they find themselves in harms way, our government will not hold that enemy nation accountable for their safety and survival. Think about that!

These Pow's filed this lawsuit based on laws that allowed them to hold Iraq accountable for their torture. The American government supports accountability and monetary awards for Iraqi detainees at Abu Grahib at the hands of our troops, The American government supports reparations for Kuwaiti citizens who were tortured at the hands of the former Iraqi regime. So, then why would the government go out of their way to prevent American Pow's who were brutally tortured from due process and accountability they deserve?

Linda, this case is not about money, it is about accountability and to prevent this from happening again and if it does, then that nation will be held responsible.

Fox News and yourself owe Col Acree and his attorney an apology for not giving them the time needed to expand on their case. Your focus was on the monetary award and coming out of left field with your 2 marines comment. I am sure your motivation was not to try and slam the door on them but it created quite a disservice to the real issues that this case is about. Perhaps giving them more time or even allowing questions from the audience could have provided a "fair and balanced" presentation.

Thanks for your time
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gunner and welcome to the forum.
I totally agree with what you are stating.
It's not about the money but about the treatment of future
American POW's!!
Quote:
These Pow's filed this lawsuit based on laws that allowed them to hold Iraq accountable for their torture. The American government supports accountability and monetary awards for Iraqi detainees at Abu Grahib at the hands of our troops, The American government supports reparations for Kuwaiti citizens who were tortured at the hands of the former Iraqi regime. So, then why would the government go out of their way to prevent American Pow's who were brutally tortured from due process and accountability they deserve?

If it's good for others, why not for our own POW's????
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: