SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chaplain Wants Christ out of Air Force Academy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Chaplain Wants Christ out of Air Force Academy Reply with quote

This is the Separation of Church and State argument I have been hoping wouldn't come, but it seems it has now;

Quote:
Chaplain Wants Christ out of Air Force Academy
Thursday, May 12, 2005 2:57 p.m. EDT

Here’s a story that will throw you for a loop: a "chaplain" at the U.S. Air Force Academy is complaining that the school’s administration has a "systemic and pervasive" problem of promoting religious values with a Christian bent.

The chaplain, Capt. Melinda Morton, a "Lutheran minister," spoke out publicly on Tuesday as an Air Force task force arrived at the academy to investigate charges that officers and staff members pushed their religious beliefs on cadets.

And she claimed that a tolerance program developed at the academy, called Respecting the Spiritual Values of all People (R.S.V.P.), was watered down after it was shown to officers.

Also from the story;

Quote:
Morgan said she had stepped forward because "it’s the Constitution, not just a nice rule we can follow or not follow. That includes not using your power to advance your religious agenda."

She acknowledged that after speaking out, "I don’t think I have much future in the Air Force."

Newsmax.com

I'm sure the ACLU will be right there defending Morton in this. I dread just how far they will end up pushing this one.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Chaplain Wants Christ out of Air Force Academy Reply with quote

Relativist ''Chaplain'' wrote:

"I don’t think I have much future in the Air Force."

God, please let her be correct on that count!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ, makes me wonder just how much future she has in the Lutheran Church as well. Confused
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This yo-yo belongs with the ACLU, not in the Air Force, and certainly she is not qualified for the clergy.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine boots in my day(makes me sound ancient Sad ) were required to attend church services of their choice. If they didn't have a choice, the DI would make one for them.

The Marine Corps was not going to have anyone's momma complaining that her baby was kept from attending worship services.

May not be exactly on the subject, but that's what came to mind along with the thoughts others have already expressed.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew,

To help allay your fears, and to reinforce Carpro's take, all the Constitution says is that the Feds shall make no law creating a 'State Church' or 'Church of State'...

the ACLUnions/lefties have twisted the constitution so much in their attempt to kill religion in this country that nobody bothers to read the Constitution's line anymore! I'll bet the Officers and Staff had a good laugh over her RSVP crap tho', heh.

wonder if we'll ever get to read RSVP...it's Fri the 13th and I need a good laugh!

Deuce
Stevie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they've infiltrated churches too.... supposedly Christian ones at that!

... sorta depends on whose constitution your reading doesn't it?

didn't I just read somewhere that division of church/state was in
the USSR constitution?
yep, was in the thread about the 'in God we Trust' court ruling....

I haven't read that other constitution but I'm just trusting that
whoever posted it knew it for a fact -?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie, you can trust that the separation of church and state was in the constitution of the former Soviet Union. I posted the comment along with a link to the entire constitution they used.

When you get a chance, go read it and compare it to the assaults we see on our constitution today and what the left says our constitution actually says. Sorry, can't post the link here just yet, using the laptop, all my good stuff is stored on the other computer Embarassed
GM Strong

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Stevie, you can trust that the separation of church and state was in the constitution of the former Soviet Union.

The old Soviet Union had such a separation, that the Gummint tore down churches or appropriated the buildings for secular use.

When the USSR collapsed, one of the most remarkable stories was the rebuilding and restoration of one of the main Orthodox churches that had been leveled. The old foundations were uncovered and between miraculously preserved documents, photos and memories it was rebuilt. What's more, artifacts thought long lost or destroyed by the 'benevolent' regime reappeared and reoccupied their former sacred environment.
PhD candidate
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpro wrote:
Marine boots in my day(makes me sound ancient Sad ) were required to attend church services of their choice. If they didn't have a choice, the DI would make one for them.

I'm not sure how I feel about being required to go to any church, but I know from my time visiting West Point that they have multiple churches (including a non denominational one) as well as a synagogue.

(I prefer sleeping in sunday mornings)
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When the USSR collapsed, one of the most remarkable stories was the rebuilding and restoration of one of the main Orthodox churches that had been leveled.

GM, what I found even more remarkable was to hear how different religions operated secretly throughout the Soviet regime. I have spoken to several Russian immigrants here in the Northwest and many told me how they would even hold Baptisms publicly, under the guise of just swimming in a park lake or pool.

It shows me that even when a government decides to regulate religion, people will continue to follow their religious beliefs no matter.

For all the current "Separation of Church and State" outcry in years recent, what many fail to realize is that they are just attempting to set up a State Religion of Human Secularism. They can say it isn't, but Secularism is just another religion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: