SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 800lb. gorrilla refutation of the Ruiz article.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: My 800lb. gorrilla refutation of the Ruiz article. Reply with quote

I decided to post a new topic so everyone would know I responded to my controversial post.

This relates to the http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18989 post.

Quote:
The March 12 attack -- swift and brutally violent -- bore the hallmarks of operations that have made Ruiz, 39, a former Brooklyn gang member, renowned among U.S. troops in Mosul and, in many ways, a symbol of the optimism that has pervaded the military since Iraq's Jan. 30 elections.

A self-described "greaser," Ruiz wears a pencil-thin mustache and slicks back the dark hair on the top of his head with Rebound Activator Gel. The lower half of his scalp is shaved.

Overhearing a staff sergeant describe him as "ghetto," Ruiz joked: "I'm urban."

Ok we have established Ruiz as a greaser ghetto Brooklyn gang member.

Quote:
Although Ruiz is not the highest-ranking soldier in the unit, his command over the 4th Platoon is absolute. Last fall, commanders transferred a platoon leader just 48 hours after he tangled with Ruiz.

When another young platoon leader, Lt. Colin Keating, 23, of Clinton, Md., arrived Feb. 6, Ruiz greeted him warmly and introduced him to every soldier in the platoon, but told him: "Just let me fight my war."

It is a war that Ruiz said reminds him of his youth as a member of the Coney Island Cobras, a Brooklyn street gang. He said he applies many of the principles he learned in the rough neighborhoods where he grew up: Bay Ridge and, later, the projects in Caguas, Puerto Rico, where he moved with his mother as a teenager.

"What I see here, I saw a long time ago," he said. "It's the same patterns."

Ok we have now established that Ruiz is in control of the military units he is associated with, rank be damned. Ruiz is after all a Brooklyn Cobra, which overrides any military code of conduct.

Quote:
Staff Sgt. John Garrison, 36, of Manhattan, who referred to Ruiz as "ghetto," said: "People hear the word 'ghetto' and they think of that as a bad thing. But it's not a thing, it's a place. And it gives you certain advantages over other people that don't come up from there."

Ruiz recalled fighting turf battles in New York with "whatever you had in your pocket." In Mosul, he presides over an infantry unit that Born built from scratch for maximum lethality.

You go Cobras! Damn when will I hear about the training he received as a G.I.

Quote:
Born said Ruiz, like comic book hero Spider-Man, seems to possess "a spidey-sense that starts tingling when bad stuff is going on."

Are they now teaching hero-worship to West Point students?

Quote:
Ruiz said the decision to pick up the skull fragment and take it back to the base was a "sarcastic" gesture to confirm the kill to the battalion. Born, who was not present during the attack, said the soldiers picked up the fragment not as a trophy, which is prohibited under military regulations, but to confirm "that we had the remains of a terrorist."

I want to ask Captain Born directly. Did they not teach you in West Point about the sensitivities of carrying on your person the body parts of the enemy in war not for trophy purpose, but rather a eager beaver reporter purpose?

In summation, this article was written by a communist reporter aligned with the enemy by way of his relativist approach. This reporter through the naïve complicit support of Ruiz and Born is able to show how war happens through the lens of a former gang member. This is crucial to his purpose, because he knows that he can make the gang member and the terrorist equals and thus both fighting for the same moral principle. By dragging Ruiz down to his former life of banging he is able to equate and elevate the terrorist. This is leftist propaganda and hopefully by my refutation will enlighten and widen some of your myopic views.

Ruiz and Born although subject to my refutation are to be revered and honored for their service. My problem is with the reporter and how this article was framed and both Ruiz and Born’s naïve complicit support of it.

Our enemy is very weak as evidenced by our capture and democratization of 2 countries and 50 million people with less then 2,000 dead. Keep in mind we have not had a US soldier taken hostage since the Jessica Lynch supply convoy was taken hostage. The enemy is nothing more then the gang members the reporter is trying to highlight. They are group-think animals not capable of anything without the direct and constant washing of the mind by their leaders. This enemy knows it is losing and uses the press to fight the battle it cannot win. Nowhere in the article did it discuss how the military made Ruiz a great soldier, but rather his gang roots. Nowhere in the article did Ruiz say how the military has made him a great man as opposed to his former pointless existance.

Nowhere in the article did it say that the reason Ruiz and Born and their unit succeeds in Iraq is because of their belief in good as opposed to the nihilistic view of their enemy.

Ok take aim at me. Smile
DLI78
PO3

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok take aim at me.

Hell, this makes me want to stand beside you and take aim at them!

Good job analyzing the leftist slant on this article.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotsa_Static wrote:
Quote:
Ok take aim at me.

Hell, this makes me want to stand beside you and take aim at them!

Good job analyzing the leftist slant on this article.

Sorry it took so long and thanks Lotsa_Static, it is important we honor and defend our heros and always keep vigil of the reporter vultures circling over-head.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking off my admin hat for this post and putting on my vet and civilian and troop-supporter hats.

Quote:
Keep in mind we have not had a US soldier taken hostage since the Jessica Lynch supply convoy was taken hostage.

First of all, this is incorrect - and very misleading if it's intended to point up the "weakness" of our enemy.

PFC Matt Maupin taken hostage 09 April 2004 and is presumed dead - his execution was supposedly filmed and shown on Al Jazeera. Another soldier and two civilians were taken in the same action and only the soldier's body has been found.

You also disregard the fact that a total of 195 military people and civilians of American and other nationalities have been taken hostage and 33 of them are confirmed killed. I've got the beheading tapes for some of them right here on my hard drive, along with the video of the execution of Fabrizio Quattrocchi and pictures of the poor immolated precious ones that were desecrated and hung from the bridge at Fallujah.

These entities that our troopers are dealing with are evil personified. Our intent is not to tame them - our intent is to hunt the sonsabitohes down and KILL THEM before they can kill any more of ours - or kill any more Iraqis.

SGT Ruiz & company are doing that.

Like I said before, "There isn't any gorilla."

This response of yours does not seem to me to interface in any way with your posts in which you called SGT Ruiz an "idiot" and a "dumb snit" or told us that we were clueless.

The fact that the story was clearly written to elicit the notion that our soldiers are just a bunch of gang-bangers came up several times in that thread under the overall heading of "media bias."

No matter how that story was written, these deserve our gratefulness, pride and prayers.

If you ever intended anything less, I would suggest that perhaps now is a good time to apologize.
Nutso
PO3

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800 lb Gorilla??? Please tell us you are kidding.
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get this right, your main problem is with the media person who wrote this article and the slant it took. It seems you believe Ruiz and Born were ill used and didn't catch on to what was happening.

I believe you could have made your point in the original thread without all the posturing.
Tom Poole
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
...Ruiz and Born although subject to my refutation are to be revered and honored for their service. My problem is with the reporter and how this article was framed and both Ruiz and Born’s naïve complicit support of it. ...

GenrXr's position now is clear but admittedly, I was disturbed by the criticism. I also believe many of us quixotically wanted Ruiz to be a hero because we need some unapologetic savagery over there. In the early part of this thread, I believed this was criticism of one of our heroes and I knew from reading many of GenrXr's other posts, it wasn't his way. I consider this post a brilliant exposure of a very clever communist writer.

GenrXr wrote:
...If so I think the government has an issue on their hands and needs to remove this idiot from the field....

Ever the optimist, I hope GenrXr's intent was to criticize the absence of balance. This writer clearly through implication, attributed Ruiz' success ONLY to his street experience and thererfore again through implication, denigrated our military training.

GenrXr wrote:
...Someone from the military needs to watch these dumb ***** and their BS talk....

Everyone in the military, even officers (perhaps especially officers), occasionally say something dumb, particularly now when they're continually in the limelight. And it's true the military needs to watch for dumb things being said. In my day, a long time ago, only PR guys talked to the press and back then, it wasn't so terribly biased as today. Rank and file were advised of how their words can ricochet or boomerang and typically if they had to be interviewed, they received some professional advice before the interview. Censorship? Perhaps. But, most of us saw it didn't see it as such. We saw it as normal preparedness.

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
...If you ever intended anything less, I would suggest that perhaps now is a good time to apologize.

IMHO, I don't believe GenrXr intended anything less.
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, where do I start.

Ya'll are missing the mark completely.

This is the post that started this:
GenrXr wrote:
Quote:
It is a war that Ruiz said reminds him of his youth as a member of the Coney Island Cobras, a Brooklyn street gang. He said he applies many of the principles he learned in the rough neighborhoods where he grew up: Bay Ridge and, later, the projects in Caguas, Puerto Rico, where he moved with his mother as a teenager.

"What I see here, I saw a long time ago," he said. "It's the same patterns."

Staff Sgt. John Garrison, 36, of Manhattan, who referred to Ruiz as "ghetto," said: "People hear the word 'ghetto' and they think of that as a bad thing. But it's not a thing, it's a place. And it gives you certain advantages over other people that don't come up from there."

Ruiz recalled fighting turf battles in New York with "whatever you had in your pocket." In Mosul, he presides over an infantry unit that Born built from scratch for maximum lethality.

Is this for real? If so I think the government has an issue on their hands and needs to remove this idiot from the field. I am sorry, but I do not buy into the gang bangers make for good warriors. I have met many gang bangers and they are punks which act with group think mentality and I have never met one that is invulnerable to being doved into submission. This Ruiz guy should be Government Issue and a military soldier and trained as such. Not a GI waxing on his street cred giving him the skills to live in war. This is beyond ridiculous.

I have one thing to say to Ruiz. You might be from New York, but if you went to war with someone from Houston and had to reach into your pockets...before your hand left that pocket you'd be laying on the ground wondering what hit you.

This article is so insane.

Someone from the military needs to watch these dumb ***** and their BS talk.

The bias of the reporter was never mentioned by GenXr. IMHO it was a given considering the source.

GenXr took issue with the fact that Ruiz use to be a gang member, and as stated in the "other" thread by myself and other vets, ex-gang members have been serving in the military, most honorably, probably since the 50s.(mabe before).

GenXr has STILL NOT addressed the above statement with "his 800lb gorilla."

This is a feeble attempt to try and save face.

Now I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, as a matter of fact, I'm probably just a dumb grunt, but if SFC Ruiz can use some of what he learned on the streets, and apply it to fighting terrorists (I hate the term insurgent), then more power to him. He is keeping himself and his squad members alive, and killing the terrorists.

GenXr, why don't you just admit that you were wrong, apologize to the other board members and lets move on. (no pun intended)

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks, there was no need to start an entirely new thread on this topic and I asked genrXr to respond within the existing one. I'm locking this as of right now and I would suggest that all interested participants copy/paste their comments to the existing Ruiz thread after genrXr, hopefully, re-posts his own.

For continuity sake, I will quote genrXr's above reply within the original thread unless he elects to reproduce it himself.

http://www.swiftvets.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18989&start=45

This little imbroglio needs to be concluded and concluded in the thread in which it began. I would suggest to all who might remain unsatisfied with genrXr's response to so state and then move on as well.

Thanks

Me#1
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: