SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hacking Gets Six Years to Life for Murder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Hacking Gets Six Years to Life for Murder Reply with quote

I'm sorry. This sentence seems light considering the nature of the crime. Story.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the "difference" in this sentence and the Peterson sentence is that Hacking has come out and said, "I'm sorry." Rolling Eyes

To me, there is far more evidence of Hackings heinous murder of his wife, including an admission, than there was for Peterson. Saying you're sorry, after all he did to hide his crime, just doesn't cut it with me.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it either! He not only admitted it, but they had forensic proof, unlike Peterson's. Maybe it's the difference in Utah and CA.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would of been life, no parole in Texas where justice is (almost always) swift and the punishment h*ll.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

appears that this sentence was out of that judge's hands...
some odd laws in Utah...

SFGate.com
Hacking Gets 6 Years to Life for Murder
By PAUL FOY, Associated Press Writer
Monday, June 6, 2005

Quote:
~snip
Judge Denise Lindberg listened to nearly two hours of emotional testimony before handing down the only sentence she could under Utah law. She said only the parole board could determine how long Hacking will ultimately stay in prison, but that she will recommend that he be held "a very long time."

~snip
Under Utah's system of indeterminate criminal sentences, first-degree murder brings a mandatory five years to life, but Hacking's minimum will be increased to six years because he used a firearm. The judge can only impose the broad range of sentence, leaving it up to Utah's Board of Pardons and Parole to decide when or if Hacking will ever be set free.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is the Utah Law and it was out of the judges hands. What I would like to know with the verdict being six years to life, does that mean he will be up for parole in twenty-five years?

Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: