SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting a “Friendlier Face on Godliness” in San Francisco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Putting a “Friendlier Face on Godliness” in San Francisco Reply with quote

As reported on CNS;

Quote:
The atheists are coming to the Bay Area
Conclave in S.F. designed to turn heathens into activists

- Joe Garofoli, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, May 20, 2005

As they watch religion increasingly dominate American political discourse, nonbelievers will gather in San Francisco today for their first "All Atheist Weekend" -- in an effort to put a friendlier face on godlessness.

"We're trying to do what church people call outreach," said Jim Heldberg, a Pacifica software salesman and onetime Methodist who coordinates the group San Francisco Atheists.

"We feel very threatened by what's going on in this country, but we realize that we can't just sit here in a corner by ourselves," Heldberg said. "If we do, the religious right is just going to run us over." <snip>

"Atheists are not joiners," said Ellen Johnson, national president of American Atheists, which the country's most famous modern atheist, Madalyn Murray O'Hair, founded in 1963.

"You hear people complain, 'Look what they (religious people) are trying to do now,' " Johnson said. "Well, yeah, sure. They're better funded. Better organized. That's why atheists get pushed around. I say if you don't like it, get involved and do something about it."
[uh, last I heard, Christians are the ones being denied any rights in public places. Bibles are prohibited from schools, as is prayer of any Christians kind, the Pledge of Allegiance, with "One Nation Under God" is under constant assault, A Judge was removed from his bench because he had the audacity to have a monument of the Ten Commandments, evololution is taught as a fact and creationism isn't allowed any mention, our daughters may be taken for an abortion, without parental consent or knowledge, our children are dispensed condoms at will, without parental consent, disciplining your child will result in several visits from Child Protective Services, abstinence is considered unrealistic in schools, and they claim they are the ones "being pushed around?]

Her talk tonight will attempt to reclaim the image of O'Hair, whom detractors called "the most hated woman in America" for her role at the vanguard of church-state legal battles. O'Hair disappeared under mysterious circumstances in 1995, and her remains were found in Texas six years later. [They fail to mention it was a fellow atheist that murdered her and members of her family, over gold coins she had stored away]

Johnson's real challenge, however, will be attracting new members at a time when religion is playing an increasing role in the national public discourse, from the White House's involvement in Terri Schiavo's final days to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's appearance at an evangelical-orchestrated conference crusading against activist judges. [and no mention of sKerry's pandering to Black Churches during the campaign?]

San Francisco Chronicle

Sorry, but I don't see where the atheist have it so tough today. The article claims up to 50 years ago, they couldn't hold jobs because of their non-beliefs, but don't these same people try to convince us that our Founding Fathers also did not really believe?
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great observations, Lew!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An atheist was taking a walk through the woods. What majestic trees!
What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself.

As he was walking alongside the river he heard a rustling in the bushes
behind him. He turned to look. He saw a 12 foot Grizzly charged towards
him. He ran as fast as he could up the path. He looked over his shoulder
and saw that the bear was closing in on him. He looked over his
shoulder again, and the bear was even closer. He tripped and fell on the
ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw the bear right on top
of him, reaching for him with his left paw and raising his right paw to
strike him. At that instant the Atheist cried out: "Oh my God!..."

Time stopped. The bear froze. The forest was silent. As a bright light
shone upon the man, a voice came out of the sky: "You deny my existence
for all of these years, teach others I don't exist, and even credit
creation to a cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of this
predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?"

The atheist looked directly into the light, "It would be hypocritical of
me to suddenly ask You to treat me as a Christian now, but perhaps could
you make the BEAR a Christian?"

"Very well," said the voice.

The light went out. The sounds of the forest resumed.

And then the bear dropped his right paw, brought both paws together and
bowed his head and spoke: "Lord, bless this food, which I am about to
receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord, Amen." Cool Cool Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by GM Strong on Mon May 23, 2005 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, GM. LOL! That's a keeper.

On a more serious note, read this article from American Thinker today:

http://www.americanthinker.com/comments.php?comments_id=2269

From one of his links:
nysun.com
Quote:
Brooklyn Prof Calls Religious People ‘Moral Retards’

By IRA STOLL Staff Reporter of the Sun

A faculty member leading the overhaul of Brooklyn College’s "core" curriculum has published an article asserting that "those who are religious are incapable of moral action" and describing the faithful as "moral retards."

The professor, Timothy Shortell, teaches sociology at Brooklyn College, where he is chairman of the Faculty Council’s core curriculum committee and a member of its general education outcomes assessment subcommittee. The committees have a significant voice in efforts to revise Brooklyn College’s core curriculum, a set of course requirements that has been in place since 1982. .....

Moral Retards??? That's a real Friendlier Face from this athiest!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: