SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FOX - Bush, Kerry Had Similar Grades at Yale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: FOX - Bush, Kerry Had Similar Grades at Yale Reply with quote

Of course it's from Fox - and I am surprised the Boston Globe did the story. Lets see who else bothers to print it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,158776,00.html

Quote:
Bush, Kerry Had Similar Grades at Yale
Tuesday, June 07, 2005

BOSTON — Sen. John F. Kerry's grade average at Yale University (search) was virtually identical to President Bush's record there, despite repeated portrayals of Kerry as the more intellectual candidate during the 2004 presidential campaign.

Kerry had a cumulative average of 76 and got four Ds his freshman year -- in geology, two history courses and political science, The Boston Globe (search) reported Tuesday.

His grades improved with time, and he averaged an 81 his senior year and earned an 89 -- his highest grade -- in political science as a senior.

"I always told my dad that D stood for distinction," Kerry said in a written response to reporters' questions. He said he has previously acknowledged focusing more on learning to fly than studying.

Under Yale's grading system in effect at the time, grades between 90 and 100 equaled an A, 80-89 a B, 70-79 a C, 60 to 69 a D, and anything below that was a failing grade.

In 1999, The New Yorker (search) magazine published a transcript showing Bush had a cumulative grade average of 77 his first three years at Yale, and a similar average under a non-numerical rating system his senior year.

Bush's highest grade at Yale was an 88 in anthropology, history and philosophy. He received one D in his four years, a 69 in astronomy, and improved his grades after his freshman year, the transcript showed.

Kerry, a Democrat, previously declined to release the transcript, which was included in his Navy records. He gave the Navy permission to release the documents last month, the Globe reported.

Kerry graduated from Yale in 1966, Bush in 1968.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 Ds in one year vs. 1 D in 4 years is "roughly similar", huh?
"Bush's highest grade at Yale was an 88 in anthropology, history and philosophy."
That's 3 different courses with grades of 88, I'm assuming?
re. Kerry: "His grades improved with time, and he averaged an 81 his senior year and earned an 89 -- his highest grade -- in political science as a senior. "
That's one course with a 89.
I'm surprised his average was that high.

It sounds to me like Bush partied his way through and Kerry couldn't even keep up with that. I bet it really chaps Kerry's ass, too.
Laughing
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/06/07/yale_grades_portray_kerry_as_a_lackluster_student?mode=PF

Quote:
John Forbes Kerry and George Walker Bush during their student days at Yale University.

Yale grades portray Kerry as a lackluster student
His 4-year average on par with Bush's
By Michael Kranish, Globe Staff | June 7, 2005

WASHINGTON -- During last year's presidential campaign, John F. Kerry was the candidate often portrayed as intellectual and complex, while George W. Bush was the populist who mangled his sentences.

But newly released records show that Bush and Kerry had a virtually identical grade average at Yale University four decades ago.

In 1999, The New Yorker published a transcript indicating that Bush had received a cumulative score of 77 for his first three years at Yale and a roughly similar average under a non-numerical rating system during his senior year.

Kerry, who graduated two years before Bush, got a cumulative 76 for his four years, according to a transcript that Kerry sent to the Navy when he was applying for officer training school. He received four D's in his freshman year out of 10 courses, but improved his average in later years.

The grade transcript, which Kerry has always declined to release, was included in his Navy record. During the campaign the Globe sought Kerry's naval records, but he refused to waive privacy restrictions for the full file. Late last month, Kerry gave the Navy permission to send the documents to the Globe.

Kerry appeared to be responding to critics who suspected that there might be damaging information in the file about his activities in Vietnam. The military and medical records, however, appear identical to what Kerry has already released. This marks the first time Kerry's grades have been publicly reported.

The transcript shows that Kerry's freshman-year average was 71. He scored a 61 in geology, a 63 and 68 in two history classes, and a 69 in political science. His top score was a 79, in another political science course. Another of his strongest efforts, a 77, came in French class.

Under Yale's grading system in effect at the time, grades between 90 and 100 equaled an A, 80-89 a B, 70-79 a C, 60 to 69 a D, and anything below that was a failing grade. In addition to Kerry's four D's in his freshman year, he received one D in his sophomore year. He did not fail any courses.

''I always told my Dad that D stood for distinction," Kerry said yesterday in a written response to questions, noting that he has previously acknowledged that he spent a lot of time learning to fly instead of focusing on his studies.

Kerry's weak grades came despite years of education at some of the world's most elite prep schools, ranging from Fessenden School in Massachusetts to St. Paul's School in New Hampshire.

It is noteworthy, however, that Kerry received a high honor at Yale despite his mediocre grades: He was chosen to deliver his senior class oration, a testament to his reputation as a public speaker. He delivered a speech questioning the wisdom of the Vietnam War, in which he would soon see combat.

Kerry gradually improved his grades, averaging 81 in his senior year. His highest single grade was an 89, for a political science class in his senior year. Despite his slow start, he went on to be a top student at Naval Candidate School, command a patrol boat in Vietnam, graduate from law school, and become a prosecutor, lieutenant governor, US senator, and presidential candidate.

In his Navy application, Kerry made clear that he spent much of his college time on extracurricular activities, including the Yale Political Union, the Debating Association, soccer, hockey, fencing, and membership in the elite Skull and Bones Society. Asked to describe nonschool training that qualified him for the Navy, Kerry wrote: ''A great deal of sailing -- ocean and otherwise, including some navigation. Scuba diving. Rifle. Beginning of life saving." He said his special interests were ''filming," writing, and politics, noting that the latter subject occupied 15 hours per week.

Gaddis Smith, a retired Yale history professor who taught both Kerry and Bush, said in a telephone interview that he vividly remembers Kerry as a student during the 1964-1965 school year, when Kerry would have been a junior. However, Smith said he doesn't have a specific memory about Bush.

Based on what Smith recalls teaching that year, Kerry scored a 71 and 79 in two of Smith's courses. When Smith was told those scores, he responded: ''Uh, oh. I thought he was good student. Those aren't very good grades." To put the grades in perspective, Smith said that he had a well-earned reputation for being tough, and noted that such grades would probably be about 10 points higher in a similar class today because of the impact of what he called ''grade inflation."

Bush went to Yale from 1964 to 1968; his highest grades were 88s in anthropology, history, and philosophy, according to The New Yorker article. He received one D in his four years, a 69 in astronomy. Bush has said he was a C student.

Like Kerry, Bush reportedly suffered through a difficult freshman year and then pulled his grades up.

Michael Kranish can be reached at kranish@globe.com.
wwIIvetsdaughter
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I always told my Dad that D stood for Distinction." Skerry was a fabricator of the truth even then. D stands for disingenious young man! Laughing Laughing Laughing
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now who's the Moron Kerry? By the way where did they get those pictures?

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
becca1223
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at that picture of sKerry, I will most
definitely have nightmares tonight. Holy cow, he's
actually uglier than Herman Muster!! AMAZING what
a little botox and surgery will do.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some in the media believe this is the reason sKerry stonewalled on his records release. I'm thinking releasing this is nothing more than a smokescreen to hide the fact that he hasn't released all of his records, especially any information about his possible less than honorable discharge.
redleg2
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sKerry needs a tan, I think.
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the release of records from Navy Department files in response to Form 180 contains almost nothing but this "grades" diversionary smokescreen.

Turns out that there is a check box on the 180 for not releasing records pertaining to certain years and other issues.

Furthermore, the 'records' released were from Navy Department files, not the National Personnel Records Center, where the full story is held.

NOTHING of real interest concerning Kerry's squalid 'service' has been, or probably will be, released.

See http://www.blogsforbush.com/ for expansion on this, including commentary from John O'Neill.

Schadow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Some in the media believe this is the reason sKerry stonewalled on his records release. I'm thinking releasing this is nothing more than a smokescreen to hide the fact that he hasn't released all of his records, especially any information about his possible less than honorable discharge.

Exactly. I find it extremely suspect and do not believe we will see these records in their totality anytime soon. Unfortunately the Navy is not willing to release what they have on Kerry which I find suspect in itself.

BTW.......D stands for the DUMMY skerry was, still is, and always will be!
Rolling Eyes
helpmycountry
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Now Can Defeat Be Sweet In Taking Him Out of the Senate Reply with quote

WE all can work together to sink him once and for all by helping anybody but Kerry win for the Senate. Be Swift stay strong and sink him for good. It will not be bad if he pulls Teddy under with him.
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WE all can work together to sink him once and for all by helping anybody but Kerry win for the Senate. Be Swift stay strong and sink him for good. It will not be bad if he pulls Teddy under with him.

Amen to that. That should be our #1 priority, as it will result in a huge "mission accomplished" for the Swiftboat vets and the POW/MIA families that Kerry has done so much damage to. Defeating Kerry in Mass. should be a much easier task than what was accomplished during the Presidential campaign. We need a credible opponent, a war chest and all of the anti-Kerry ammo that we can acquire. I also think some more ads like the animation of the mining incident are extremely damaging to Kerry's BS stories. People can grasp the Swiftboat vets side of the action a lot better with those kind of visual "timeline" presentations. The Kerry/McCain MIA story about selling our POWs down the river for profit would be a huge hit against both of them, too. At this point, I'm willing to see McCain get whacked if we can get Kerry, too. Ted Kennedy retiring wouldn't exactly break my heart, either. The BS of sparing Kerry's cronies in the next race shouldn't be a concern, they're as dirty as he is.
I think we should be formulating a plan to get rid of Kerry ASAP. If you guys need money, let's get it started and start in on the Mass. Senate race right now. Make him start spending money to fight it. The more he talks, the more lies we can expose, because the guy is very sensitive to any kind of criticism, from what I have seen. Make him play defense, he sucks at it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: