SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gallup: Public Confidence in News Media Falls to New Low

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Gallup: Public Confidence in News Media Falls to New Low Reply with quote

Confidence in Military tops the poll!!! YES!!!!

www.editorandpublisher.com

Quote:
Gallup: Public Confidence in News Media Falls to New Low

By E&P Staff

Published: June 10, 2005 11:00 AM ET

NEW YORK Public trust in newspapers and television news continued to decline in Gallup's annual survey of "public confidence in major institutions" in the United States, reaching an all-time low this year.

Those having a "great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in newspapers dipped from 30% to 28% in one year, the same total for television. The previous low for newspapers was 29% in 1994. Since 2000, confidence in newspapers has declined from 37% to 28%, and TV from 36% to 28%, according to the poll.

However, some other institutions fared far worse this year, suggesting a broad level of distrust, cynicism or malaise.

Confidence in the presidency plunged from 52% to 44%, with Congress and the criminal-justice system also suffering 8% drops. Confidence in the U.S. Supreme Court fell from 46% to 41%. The 22% confidence rating for Congress is its lowest in eight years, and self-identified Republicans have only a slightly more positive view of the institution than do Democrats.

The military topped the poll with a 74% confidence rating, with the police at 63% and organized religion at 53%. Big business and Congress (both at 22%) and HMOs (17%) brought up the rear.

Looking at the newspaper numbers, of those surveyed, 24% say they have "very little" confidence in them, while 1% said "none." By far the highest number, 46%, said "some," with 28% expressing strong confidence.

“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we can't choose when to pay attention to polls - choosing only when they say what we want them to say. I think they are a scam and ignore them always.

Last edited by Rdtf on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto that, Rdtf.

The only polls that count take place in November, in even-numbered years.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Given the debacle of the exit polls last November 2, I'm not too sure polls even count for much during those times.
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polling is asking stupid questions of the ignorant. The results should be float tested, but partisans grasp the 'good news'. 04's exit polling highlighted 'values'. MSM and the Demo's took this as proof that Bush voters were anal retentive, Bible thumpers. Unconsidered was the Demo's total negativity, cynical and unending prevarication, a fabulously flawed candidate, vulgar public discourse and wanton disregard for the national interest. 'Values' should have been recognized as simple decency, common sense and a preference for honesty. Unfortunate the MSM are too focused on their hair and the Demo's don't allow mirrors in the room.

-Wlm Shakespeare
lonevoice
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
Ditto that, Rdtf.

Yup.

If it's not a baby, you're not pregnant.
-me
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know - I don't trust election polls, for sure. Especially exit polls.

But I think it's interesting that there is so little trust among most Americans that the media will give them the truth. People are turning more and more to alternative news - bloggers and bulletin boards.

When a bunch of pajama-clad geeks without any editorial controls can take apart King BlaTHer within eight hours of posting of fraudulent documents, something good is happening.

THIS is why the media will not win the same war for the hearts and minds of the American public as they won during Vietnam. THIS is why Americans will not be convinced that their soldiers are monsters.

It's because John and Janet Goodsense out here in mid-America do not trust the media. They can read the milblogs and Iraqi blogs for themselves. They can read commentary which highlights bias and mis-statements.

And you can see where Congress' recent incessant bickering like little children has led.... no confidence there, either!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: