SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Ross Perot wouldn't say - A personal note

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: What Ross Perot wouldn't say - A personal note Reply with quote

What Ross Perot wouldn't say - A personal note

I’ve been thinking again. Just wanted to warn you before you read this.

The other night Ross Perot was interviewed by Sean Hannity. Sean asked Ross what he thought about the effect of politicians going on about Gitmo, Abu Grahib, and anti war comments in general. Ross’s answer went something like this (from memory) “The people and press can say all kinds of things because we have freedom of speech. But when a national leader, a politician, opposes how we conduct a war he/she gives aid and comfort to the enemy and you know what we call that.”

When Sean tried to prod Ross to say the word “treason” he declined cleverly by saying, “Sean, you can say that word but if I say it I will need to deal with media fallout for the next week.”

So I got to thinking. Proving that someone is aiding and abetting the enemy results in a conviction for the crime of treason. So, it is probably wrong to call someone a traitor unless it has been proven in court that they have aided and abetted the enemy.

It seems reasonable that elected leaders need to be held to a much higher standard of responsibility than ordinary citizens or the media. To me the proof of aiding and abetting is obvious just from the public comments of several politicians. Irresponsible comments by leaders really do aid and abet the enemy.

It probably wouldn’t take much effort to come up with legally defined “evidence” that “loose lips sink ships”. So, whatever action might eventually occur, the place to start is to have an “inquiry” to see if certain behavior by various Senators and Congressmen constitute aiding and abetting. I suspect this will shut them up without needing to charge them with treason.

Please give me some feedback on my thinking.

And if any of the lawyers on this forum actually know how aiding and abetting is defined please respond.

Sam
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the interview and I like Perot, to define aiding and abetting might be slippery, I think its like bad taste( you know it when you see it!). I wonder sometimes what would happen if the spouse of a fallen warrior was to hang some paper on one of these loud mouth so called American reps.?
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn’t even a real need to name names. Just hearings to collect evidence into how public statements by politicians effect National Security. We need this information. Once the evidence is clear then politicians would know what havoc they cause with their “loose lips”, and so would the public.

We need public hearings into the effects of political statements on National Security.

Sam
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember no one dared to say the word about Kerry either, although many eluded to it and accused him of it.
wpage
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the place to start is to have an “inquiry” to see if certain behavior by various Senators and Congressmen constitute aiding and abetting

My 2 cents: I do think that is an excellent idea! Idea Cool Very Happy
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One must separate what is stated on the Senate floor while in session from other statements made outside of the sanctity of the floor. All speeches made by members of Congress on the floor of the House or Senate are all "privileged speeches" and they cannot be held liable for the content.

This does not preclude the voters from showing their displeasure with these statements at the ballot box when the member is up for reelection.

Obviously Mr. Hannity forgot this fact when he throws out the word treason to describe a privileged speech by a member of Congress. This is what makes the USA the strongest democracy on the planet in spite of the liberal left.

The bully pulpit of freedom is alive and well as long as the Constitution protects us all. When we start trying people for the words they utter, Democracy will die a sudden death in America.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you post. Please remember that all I want is hearing into the impact on national security when leaders make comments opposing national policy.

There isn't even a need to name names. No one would be on trial. No charges of treason would be made.

To validate your point further I refer you to Article I, sec. 6 of the Constitution: "for any Speech or Debate in either House, they [Senators and Representatives] shall not be questioned in any other Place." Durbin's remarks were, of course, made on the Senate floor.

Sam
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine public hearings with POWs testifying about how irresponsible remarks by elected officials (Kerry) affected them.

Or witness after witness giving evidence about how irresponsible comments effect the war effort and kill our troops.

This would be enough to shut them up. No need for a charge of treason to be filed. Once educated both the politicians and the people will know who the traitors are.

Sam

Last edited by Aristotle The Hun on Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durbin shouldn't apologize, he should resign.
Aristotle The Hun
PO1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Army_(Ret) wrote:

The way I see it is, one of the most powerful weapons in the terrorist's arsenal is liberal politicians.

Somehow we must get the public to make the connection between left wing politicians and the death of our troops. When the connection is made clear by public hearings no politician who hopes to continue hold office would dare to irresponsibly comment on the war effort.

Sam
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(seems fitting)
In big letters on a vets pickup that I saw yesterday: It said "if you wont stand behind our troops- then go stand in front of them" Evil or Very Mad

PS. durbin needs a turbin!
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle The Hun wrote:
Army_(Ret) wrote:

The way I see it is, one of the most powerful weapons in the terrorist's arsenal is liberal politicians.

Somehow we must get the public to make the connection between left wing politicians and the death of our troops. When the connection is made clear by public hearings no politician who hopes to continue hold office would dare to irresponsibly comment on the war effort.

Sam

I totally agree. When I read Ann Coulter's book Treason, this was going on, but was kept as a well guarded secret (communist sympathizers such as Alger Hiss et. al.) and sometime during the Vietnam war a law was quietly passed not to prosecute American citizens (Jane Fonda) for treason anymore just because they walk the walk and talk the talk. I'm all for hanging them high, and publicly on a street corner. Venders welcome.
Army_(Ret)
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue9t3 wrote:
(seems fitting)
In big letters on a vets pickup that I saw yesterday: It said "if you wont stand behind our troops- then go stand in front of them" Evil or Very Mad

PS. durbin needs a turbin!

Love it. Any idea where to find one of those bumper stickers?
George F. Thompson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Perot Reply with quote

Just for the record, who the hell cares what Perot thinks about anything. If my memory serves me, wasn't Perot the one who got 19% of the vote during the Bush I, Clinton and Perot election. 19% Perot, 43% Clinton and 38% for president Bush. What a legacy for the cause and effect concept.

George F. Thompson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: