SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washington Times says that Reporters will sort this all out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CupertinoCA
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Washington Times says that Reporters will sort this all out Reply with quote

http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20040808-110043-3085r.htm

Kerry's Vietnam service

Sen. John Kerry has made his time in Vietnam a centerpiece of his presidential campaign and has invoked his military credentials at every possible opportunity. Now, a heated debate has broken out between veterans challenging Mr. Kerry's war record and others who defend him with equal vigor.
An explosive new book titled "Unfit For Command, Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry" is scheduled for release on Sunday. It is expected to make serious new charges about Mr. Kerry's military service as commander of a swift boat — a vessel used in the Mekong Delta to catch Vietcong guerrillas and block North Vietnamese supply routes.

The book, co-authored by Jerome Corsi and John O'Neill, represents the views of Vietnam veterans who served with Mr. Kerry and claim his behavior on the battlefield should disqualify him for the presidency. According to a description of the book published by the Drudge Report, it will charge that Mr. Kerry earned his Silver Star by killing a fleeing Vietcong teenager in a loincloth. The book will also claim that Mr. Kerry attacked a peaceful hamlet, slaughtering small animals with high-caliber machine guns and burning down the village with a lighter. It quotes George Bates, an officer who participated in numerous combat operations with Mr. Kerry, as saying that he is still "haunted" by what took place. In short, the authors claim that Mr. Kerry is a fraud.
But other veterans who served with Mr. Kerry in Vietnam are equally tenacious in defending him. One example is Jim Rassman, a Green Beret who says that Mr. Kerry saved his life. According to Mr. Rassman, on March 13, 1969, Mr. Kerry, though wounded, saved him after their boats were ambushed by the enemy. Mr. Rassman recommended that Mr. Kerry be recognized for bravery, and he was awarded the Bronze Star.
How can it be that two sets of Vietnam veterans have such different recollections of John Kerry's performance in combat? It is possible that some veterans, either partisan Republicans or soldiers deeply angered by Mr. Kerry's subsequent work as a member of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, may have allowed that to color their views of Mr. Kerry as a soldier. At the same time, it is equally possible that some of the veterans supporting Mr. Kerry have a partisan political agenda of their own. There are also no less plausible reasons why either side could be telling the truth. The only thing that seems clear is that someone is not.
At this point, we take no position on which side is right. It is the responsibility of the press to get to the bottom of this and sort out fact from fiction.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the NYT is certainly showing its far-left self.
dansch
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You heard the new slogan of the major media?

You report; We decide.

Shocked
forgivenjojo
Former Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cannot wait on the media to get the truth out. we must do it ourselves.
SOLDIER
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troll in the wire
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOLDIER wrote:
I have read most of today in depth of this forum. I dont agree and you should be ashamed. At least Kerry servedRemoved - discussions of "censorship" have no place on private property such as this. SoLdier

How do you know that Kerry didn't flake out on peers and crewmen? Because a few kids that he bought with medals in '69 support him for fear of disclosing their our deceipts. Because he says so? Who may I ask has censored you in this forum and when?

If you want to understand corrupt..do a little work on the "Big Dig". As long as you're civilized you will not be censored here.

Whoops...Somebody censored him.... Laughing

I'll give you the following analysis based solely on what Kerry's biographer Doug Brinkley says in "Tour of Duty". Yes it's analysis but it's based on having spent a year on the boats in 68 and 69. I wrote this just this morning:

Quote:
Medalgate!

If any of you are wondering why 5 of Kerry’s “Band of Brother” are supporting him I offer the following:

Several days after the February 28, 1969 action, Vice Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, Jr. flew to An Thoi, South Vietnam, where he pinned the Silver Star on Kerry's chest. All records indicate the award ceremony took place on March 6th.

"In addition to Kerry's Silver Star, PCF-94's performance on February 28 also earned Bronze Stars for Tommy Belodeau and Mike Medeiros and Navy Commendation Medals with Combat V Devices for Del Sandusky, Fred Short, and Gene Thorson." - Douglas Brinkley, Tour of Duty, page 294.

The entire crew got personal medals for valor! No wonder Kerry got a Silver Star! He probably put himself in for the Navy Cross and Zummie had to downgrade it. Kerry was given two days leave (vacation for civilians) in Saigon after 28 Feb 1969. No, Kerry was not hospitalized as has been rumored.

What's funny is that Kerry was on the flight from Saigon with Zummie for the award ceremony. What was he doing in Saigon 2 days after the action? Pandering for medals? Methinks yes.

Kerry to the crew, "Hey, guys I'll put you "all" in for medals if you'll agree that this is what I did." This was the most decorated Swift boat in the war for a single action and it was nothing more than a minor firefight with no casualties and no reported boat damage on all boats involved.

If this is not the most outrageous piece of creative writing I will ever see....I'll eat in my Black Beret!

It's no wonder why they all support him now. They were kids bought with medals then and can’t admit it now.

This is all supported by Brinkley’s reporting in “Tour of Duty”. Only difference….objective analysis.

ASPB RiverRat

Last edited by ASPB on Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
McCloud
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Washington Times is right "that the media will get to the bottom of this". Predictably the New York and L.A. Times have already printed editorials calling the Swift Vets "slanderous" without doing any investigative journalism on the issue. It seems it would be relatively simple for an honest reporter to at least examine the "Christmas in Cambodia" issue. If Kerry lied on the Senate floor then his entire military record needs to be closely examined. All the Kerry supporters can cry and moan about how unfair the Swift Vets ad is, but I've got a right to know what the character or lack of John Kerry has before I let him be the Commander in Chief over my two teenage sons who will going into the military in the next two years. In an effort to get an honest accounting of the facts I have sent copies of John O'Neil's letter to over ten different media outlets asking them to please investigate at least the Cambodia story. We have all got to keep pushing this issue out of the closet and into the open for the whole country to see and let the chips fall where they may.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Washington Times says that Reporters will sort this all Reply with quote

Quote:
At this point, we take no position on which side is right. It is the responsibility of the press to get to the bottom of this and sort out fact from fiction.

And exactly who appointed the press to this "responsibility"? "The press" are unelected businessmen...and of late it really, really shows.

This is why PRIVATE citizen-run weblogs have become so popular, thanks to the freedom of the Internet.

No, it is the responsibility of the PUBLIC to sort out fact from fiction.

FDL
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God for blogs and the internet.

I get maybe 20% of my news from television and newspapers, these days.

And thank God that so many homes are "wired for truth," these days. Wink
minnie presley
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: re media Reply with quote

good news folks, just watched fox, they talked about it on john gibson and brit hume shows guess we really got to them with all the e-mails and phone calls, lets keep the pressure up we will see tonite if oreilly, wakes up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: