SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Put our elected officials on the record

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Put our elected officials on the record Reply with quote

Durbin’s comments are over a week old now. I contacted my two democratic senators and as of today they have not taken a position on Durbin’s comments. Can we compile a record of statements made by our elected officials? Perhaps we can get the American Legion and the VFW involved with this and they will distribute the results to their memberships.

WI
Senator Kohl – No position taken as of 6/21/05
Senator Feingold – No position taken as of 6/21/05

No position taken tells me more then I want to know about the leadership from my state.

"Peace is our Profession"
Strategic Air Command - Motto

USAF 75-79 Security Police
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MN
Senator Mark Dayton - No position taken as of 6/21/05
Senator Norm Coleman - No position taken as of 6/21/05

Last edited by coldwarvet on Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhantomSgt
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they have a position and their silence speaks volumes. They absolutely support the comments made by their fellow Democrat on the floor.

Cool Cool Cool

Independent that leans right of center.
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Virginia Senators, Allen and Warner, are on record that they think Durbin should apologize.

Thank goodness!!
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senator George Allen (R-Virginia) said:
Quote:
Allen: Durbin Should Ask Forgiveness for Remarks
June 16, 2005

WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Senator George Allen (R-VA) today responded to the disparaging remarks made Tuesday by the Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Il) regarding the American military troops serving at Guantanamo Bay. Senator Durbin likened the actions of U.S. soldiers at the military base to those of "Nazis, Soviets, in their Gulags," and regimes that had "no concern for human beings."

Allen said, "Senator Durbin's remarks were reprehensible. To compare our brave and honorable American troops to the Nazis and other brutal, murderous regimes is outrageous and irresponsible. It is appalling to me that a U.S. Senator would disparage our men and women in uniform in this way. This hateful assertion can be demoralizing to our brave troops and their families praying for their loved one's safety back home. Moreover, it must bring glee to terrorists and those who are enemies of America.

"The patriots serving in Guantanamo and elsewhere around the world are truly some of the finest that our nation has to offer and I'm so proud of the way they represent America. I believe Senator Durbin should ask forgiveness from the troops and their families for his absurd, deplorable analogy."

I really like George Allen. He has a very good mind, and is a steadfast conservative on all issues. The fact that he was former Governor of Virginia gives him good experience for the White House. I hope he runs in
2008. He'll have my vote!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Lance Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senator Norm Coleman is a Republican. He used to be a Democrat. Remember how he beat the ultimate Democrat, Walter Mondale, after Paul Wellstone was killed in a plane crash?

Does he really have no position on Dick Turban's statements? I find that unbelievable.
Deuce
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Put our elected officials on the record Reply with quote

coldwarvet wrote:
Durbin’s comments are over a week old now. I contacted my two democratic senators and as of today they have not taken a position on Durbin’s comments. Can we compile a record of statements made by our elected officials?

No position taken tells me more then I want to know about the leadership from my state.

I'll see your no position taken and raise you one RINO and one D both looking to shut down Gitmo!!!

good luck getting an apology let alone a censure of this idiot...While he's not even in the Chicago phone book, his senate web site gives the following Chicago contact info:

Contact Information for Sen. Durbin's office

Chicago
230 South Dearborn St.
Suite 3892
Chicago, IL 60604
(312) 353-4952
(312) 353-0150 - fax
I will be reading him the Col. Dale letter, and passing on some comments of my own while vacationing here in Chicago.

Deuce
Martinez-RINO (my bet, no position)
Nelson-D (My bet, blind support of Durbin, Pelosi, and any other caucus that makes noise to attempt to get bush impeached)

Last edited by Deuce on Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991932 wrote:
Senator Norm Coleman is a Republican. He used to be a Democrat. Remember how he beat the ultimate Democrat, Walter Mondale, after Paul Wellstone was killed in a plane crash?

Does he really have no position on Dick Turban's statements? I find that unbelievable.

I was surprised myself when I talked to his staff. I guess no one is pressing our senators to take a position. I told his staffer that their are over 3,000,000 American Legion members who want to know. And their is also about 600,000 Veterans in MN that want to know.

coldwarvet
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Put our elected officials on the record Reply with quote

Deuce wrote:
coldwarvet wrote:
Durbin’s comments are over a week old now. I contacted my two democratic senators and as of today they have not taken a position on Durbin’s comments. Can we compile a record of statements made by our elected officials?

I'll see your no position taken and raise you one RINO and one D both looking to shut down Gitmo!!!

good luck getting an apology let alone a censure of this idiot...he's not even in the Chicago phone book, nor is there a 'contact me' button on his senate web site. I would have liked to read him the Col. Dale letter, and pass on some comments of my own while vacationing here in Chicago.

Deuce
Martinez-RINO (my bet, no position)
Nelson-D (My bet, blind support of Durbin, Pelosi, and any other caucus that makes noise to attempt to get bush impeached)

Deuce, we need to nip this in the bud now and Durbin is in our sites. We need to flex the muscle of 26,000,0000 Veterans to force our leadership to go on the record. If we do not seize this opportunity this generation of troops will suffer the same way that the Vietnam era Veteran has suffered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: