SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Kerry lie, Caught by the media
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McCloud
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Another Kerry lie, Caught by the media Reply with quote

FROM THE NEW HAMPSHIRE UNION LEADER

Editorials - August 10, 2004

The Mary Ann myth:
Kerry falsifies NH woman’s story

NEXT TIME John Kerry accuses President Bush of misleading the American people, remember Mary Ann Knowles.

Knowles is the Hudson woman whose battle with breast cancer Kerry has turned into a campaign anecdote. Here is what Kerry said about Knowles during his acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention on July 29:

“What does it mean when Mary Ann Knowles, a woman with breast cancer I met in New Hampshire, had to keep working day after day right through her chemotherapy, no matter how sick she felt, because she was terrified of losing her family’s health insurance? America can do better. And help is on the way.”

What it means is that John Kerry is fibbing. As Union Leader correspondent Scott Brooks reported on Sunday, Mary Ann Knowles did not have to work through her chemotherapy for fear of losing her health insurance. Employed by Elderhostel, the Boston-based non-profit travel organization for people 55 and older, Mary Ann had 26 weeks of paid disability at her disposal. More was available for a long-term illness. She did not have to work through her chemotherapy. She chose to.

Knowles would have lost some income had she taken the disability leave, said her husband, who is unemployed. But she would not have lost her health insurance, as Kerry has repeatedly misstated.

Asked if the Kerry campaign bothered to get the details of Knowles’ personal story, spokeswoman Judy Reardon said Kerry’s use of the words “every day” in describing Knowles story was “a colloquialism.” She went on: “When a woman has a mastectomy and goes through therapy, I don’t need to double-check on her.”

In other words, Kerry knowingly used the words “every day” when he did not mean “every day,” and he used the phrase: “she still has to go to work every day — just to hang on to their health insurance” when she did not have to work every day and was in no danger of losing her health insurance.

In short, he lied. Repeatedly.

With all that has come to light about Kerry’s voting record and his Vietnam service, his misrepresentation of Marry Ann Knowles’ story should surprise few. Kerry cannot even get his own personal history straight, so how can we expect him to correctly relay someone else’s?

Related headlines:
Aug 8 - Kerry’s NH story lacks key details
Aug 10 - Kerry: Plight story valid

Email This Page | Return to Opinion | Print This Page

The information on this site is copyrighted and cannot be reused
without the permission of The Union Leader.

ADVANCED SEARCH
NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE

Powered by:

Site map · Online advertisers · Copyright © 2004 · Privacy statement · Home
JMF
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Kerry lie, Caught by the media Reply with quote

Is telling the story someone told you a lie?

http://www.politicsus.com/012104jk.htm

from 01/04

Quote:
Mary Ann Knowles of New Hampshire introduced Kerry at the speech. John Knowles lost his job as a software technical writer over a year ago. To make ends meet, Mary Ann took on longer hours as an editor for a non-profit organization. Last July, Mary Ann was diagnosed with breast cancer and needed a mastectomy and 16 weeks of chemotherapy. In order to maintain her full health benefits, Mary Ann had to continue to work full time. For the last 5 months, Mary Ann has juggled surgery, a prolonged recovery, chemo treatments, and side effects with a full work day.

John Kerry met the Knowles on the campaign trail and was moved by their story, which illustrates the health care crisis facing thousands of Americans.
[url][/url][url][/url]
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the proof that she told Kerry she kept working to avoid losing her benefits?

I'll admit, one of them lied.
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMF:

"Working full-time" does not necessarily mean "had to work every day".

I have a full-time job. If I have a catastrophic illness, I can keep my full-time job but I would not have to go to work for over 29 weeks because I have accumulated that much sick leave. If I chose to use annual leave, as well, I'd have quite a few more weeks.
JMF
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you are saying, but this is a bit much. Kerry was moved by this womans story. Maybe she exaggerated a bit?

Like I have said, I am not a before.. I am not a fan of Kerry, but this just seems like a stretch that he would lie about a woman he met at least 7 months earlier.
Scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His statement is factually inaccurate, and the inaccuracy just "happens" to make his point about health care. That doesn't sound like an honest mistake to me, that's all.

As I said, I don't know precisely who misrepresented her motivation for staying at work, but it was misrepresented.
RocketFett
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is yet another example that either kerry is a bold faced pathological liar, or that him and his staff are too inept and sloppy to even get the simplest of facts straight about things when he makes a speech.

He accused Bush of cutting VA benefits and that is not true, funding fo the VA has increased tens of millions of dollars the past two years. Then talkes about no child left behind doesn't mean anything since the administration hasn't funded it. But funding for the public education system has increased by billions of dollars in the past year. So you really don't have to go far at all to catch kerry in a lie. It happens every day.
Conservgirl
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% concur with Rocketfett. Honestly now, those of us that are all in agreement with the fact that Kerry lies and switches his "ideals" back and forth with the timing suits him, knows that nothing will change. We see him for what he is. What scares me the most, there are people out there that see nothing wrong with Kerry's lack of honor and integrity. These very same people are going to cast a vote for him. I know all people are different in their beliefs, politics and morals...but I ask myself all the time, "How can I see this man for what he is(or isn't in this case) and others chose not to?" And not to get into Michael Moore Twisted Evil to deep...but how can people watch this asanine documentary and say "we should have stayed home and minded out business?" Get Real!
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You GottaBeKidding wrote:
JMF:

"Working full-time" does not necessarily mean "had to work every day".

I have a full-time job. If I have a catastrophic illness, I can keep my full-time job but I would not have to go to work for over 29 weeks because I have accumulated that much sick leave. If I chose to use annual leave, as well, I'd have quite a few more weeks.

I actually had (or have) a "catastrophic illnes": cancer and a heart problem, diagnosed last year just in time to watch FOX news cover the Iraq invasion my son participated in (USMC). Since I'm "salary exempt", I don't get 'sick days'. Our company rules include things like if you're going to miss more than 4 consecutive working days, you take a different leave, paid at 60%, or you can take vacation days. If you can work at least one day a week, you get paid for the full 40 hours, as long as you don't abuse that for "too long". Since I'm a programmer, I opted for the last one, worked "from home" a lot, set up remote access between home/work, and limped in physically somehow one day a week. I work with good people, and work 40+ hours a week now.
Different insurance plans, different companies, different rules. Nobody's the same. I'm just lucky enough to be in an environment where we all look out for each other. That lady may or may not be.
SharpTalons
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kerry becomes POTUS, there will be congressional gridlock. That is the silver lining.
fucla
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharpTalons wrote:
If Kerry becomes POTUS, there will be congressional gridlock. That is the silver lining.

Removed by Moderator: The forum is for discussing John Kerry, not insulting Bush or Republicans.
fucla
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fucla wrote:
SharpTalons wrote:

Removed by Moderator: The forum is for discussing John Kerry, not insulting Bush or Republicans.

I am a Republican.
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your party affiliation is not at issue. Only the character of your statements.
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed by Moderator: The forum is for discussing John Kerry, not insulting Bush or Republicans.[/quote]

Thanks, now I know why I like this forum so much.
soccer4ever
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The media should research every claim Mr. Flip-Flop makes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: