SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kennedy's 'Rummy' Attack Backfired

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Kennedy's 'Rummy' Attack Backfired Reply with quote

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/6/26/04646.shtml

"Sen. Ted Kennedy's attempt during Thursday's Armed Services Committee hearings to embarrass Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld by calling on him to resign over the "Iraq quagmire" got major TV and radio coverage.

But what happened next wound up on the cutting room floor of most news broadcasts.

At the hearing, Rumsfeld was flanked by three four-star generals. And each one of them blew Kennedy's criticism out of the water.
According to quotes picked up by the Washington Times, Army Gen. George Casey told the Massachusetts Democrat:

"As the commander in Iraq, I would like to put myself on the record, Senator Kennedy, as saying that I also agree with the secretary that to represent the situation in Iraq as a quagmire is a misrepresentation of the facts. Senator, that is not a quagmire."

Next up was Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, Joint Chiefs chairman. He told Kennedy: "It's clearly not a quagmire. ... The term has been used loosely, and it's not accurate in my estimation."

Then the top commander in the region, Army Gen. John Abizaid, weighed in, saying the last thing he wanted to see was a Rumsfeld resignation.

"When it comes to toughness and stick-to-itiveness and fighting the enemy the way they need to be fought, I'm standing by the secretary," he pledged."
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennedy presumes he has moral standing to even ask Rummy to resign??

When Kennedy called for his resignation, Rummy should have replied,

I'll do that, exactly 15 minutes after you confess to the murder of Mary Jo Kopechne
Curtis H.
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teddy has over stayed his welcome. Time to go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: