SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Church group to protest at soldiers' rites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Church group to protest at soldiers' rites Reply with quote

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/06/22/bereaved_kin_testify_on_sex_offender_bill/

An antiwar group from Kansas that has praised the 9/11 attacks plans to protest at the funerals of soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan, a spokeswoman said yesterday. The Westboro Baptist Church from Topeka said several members will attend the funerals of Marine Captain John Maloney of Chicopee and Green Beret Staff Sergeant Christopher N. Piper of Marblehead. In a phone interview, Margie Phelps, the church's spokeswoman, called the funerals ''death events to glorify the American military and to wave the flag." Asked whether she worried about adding to the pain of the families, Phelps said: ''I'm not interested in adding to their pain. If those boys are in hell, there's no adding to their pain."

WHERE'S MY BAT?
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were the funeral of my brother or sister there would not be enough protection in all of God's green Earth to keep me from throwing out the trash!
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That man is sick, sick, sick, sick, SICK.

And his "parishioners" surely do not know a crumb of the mercy of God.

I will say this for them, though - they are equal-opportunity haters. Confused

I guess they weren't getting enough attention picketing the funerals of gay men and women or attacking Catholics and Jews.

Truly, this bunch is right up there in the top ten nutjobs of the country. A visit to their web site (if you can stomach it) will tell you all you need to know about their theology of hatred.

Now, what can we do to counter this vile plan? Who's in or near Topeka?

It seems to me that a group of veterans could easily be gathered from the nearby population that would demonstrate a tremendous silent unity and respect for these fallen ones.

That would show the IRreverend Phelps' little band for the inconsequential nothing that it is.
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think a VFW or Legion "Honor Guard" of younger vets might dissuade them. Twisted Evil Question Question Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly go thru Dover AFB and am disgusted when I hear media outcry, they are not allowed thru the gates. I wonder if this might have something to do with why no press are allowed at dover.

note: edited to lessen horizontal scroll/me#1
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the right reverand Phelps again Rolling Eyes

Hasn't he stirred up enough trouble with his "God Hates Fags" nonsense? Now, are we to believe God hates everyone but Phelps?

He is way beyond sick. Evil or Very Mad
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why are people like this allowed to enjoy living under our 'flag?' Evil or Very Mad This freedom of speech abuse is completely played out and used up. Time for an ammendment.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmigosh, no way! I understand your anger, but let's not mess with the Constitution. It ain't perfect, but it sure is the best government on the planet. Look at where other countries have gone with attempts to limit free speech - even Bible quotations can fall into the "hate crimes" department. Shocked

Better that we have to deal with occasional fruitcakes like PHelps than have anyone be denied the right to speak freely and assemble peacefully within the law.

However, the funeral will be held on private property, so the families will have every right to prevent the Phelps bunch from entering.

They'll still be able to picket in the street, but they will not be in a position where they can disrupt the services.

I do hope that the local VFW or vets group has gotten wind of this news by now and that someone is already circling the wagons around these poor families. As if they haven't borne enough already. Sad

Dear God, the cruelty from this bunch is truly sadistic!
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy why on earth would you feel it necessary to defend our Constitution and government, to me??
I am sorry to disagree, but the abuse of our freedom of speech is what is threatening us the most, and something needs to be done. If it takes an ammendment, then so be it.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to amend the consitution, I feel. They can still spread their gospel of hate and people can freely counter it. Who knows, maybe a hearse will accidentally drive over them? Wink

Seriously, the best way to deal with looney's like this is head on. Passing or amending standing laws just pushes it underground, where it can do even more harm.

If we amend the constitution to limit their speech, if they regain power, they can amend it to limit ours. Sometimes, the best way to stop hateful speech is an old fashioned fist in the mouth.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew you are absolutely right. But we have to find a way to put a stop to it. It just seems that even in other democracies they wouldn't dare to step as far over the line as they do here. Some older European countries have a sense of patriotism so strong, centuries deep, that they wouldn't dream of it. I don't know, maybe the exception is the British tabloids.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf, the only way I can see to stop it is by educating the public and setting the record straight about Veterans and what our country really stands for. Even then, there will always be a few that think they know better. They've been around all throughout history and will be until the end of time.

We only ourselves to blame for too many years of silence as these loons steamrolled over common sense. It's going to take a long time to set it back like it should be.

One way to stop, or at least slow them down, is by the pocket book. Maybe some decent attornies could help families subjected to this mistreatment sue the pants off Rev. Phelps or his church. Another might be that no one in the media pays any attention to him and his followers wither up and drift away.

The ACLU has wanted a piece of him ever since his anti-Gay days, maybe they would be willing to go after him? (Lord, did I actually suggest using them? Wink Laughing )
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rdtf wrote:
I am sorry to disagree, but the abuse of our freedom of speech is what is threatening us the most, and something needs to be done.

Total agreement here that something needs to be done.

But, I just think it could be a terrible two-edged sword to start fiddling with the Constitution - especially the Bill of Rights. I don't think we should ever, ever, ever touch the Bill of Rights, even though I hate this kind of stuff as much as you do.

Our schools and media crank out the vilest anti-American, anti-military, anti-white-male, anti-Christian, anti-family propaganda day after day after day and it seems as if there's just no fighting it.

Our childrens' minds are being poisoned but we can't even ask for a balanced view to be taught in our schools or provided by our media without being labeled "bigots" or part of the VRWC. Rolling Eyes

The way to fight it is to just keep on calling them as we see them and to persuade the silent majority to stand up and be counted. These people are cowards in the face of a real majority opposition.

So why are we so concerned all the time about not calling an idiot, an idiot? Our Republican Senators are caving to Durbin's non-apology for his asinine comments of the 14th, when what they should be doing is soundly condemning his behaviour. Why can't they stand up and be counted?

Same thing with these soldiers being buried - a huge show of veterans and their families surrounding the church or funeral home would make such an impact - a few ungodly protestors would look so pathetic in the face of hundreds of vets just standing there in silent witness and support of the families of the fallen soldiers.

If more nutcases like this were shown for the cowardly little cretins that they are, I think we'd have a whole lot less of this stuff going on.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an idea - Is it possible for all of us that are interested to contact the Baptist church national organization and see if they will take a stand against this church? Can't they kick them out, so to speak, if they wish? It's a start.
Rdtf
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure who would be the right one to contact- but here is one:

http://www.cbamerica.org/
Quote:
CBAmerica (Conservative Baptist Association of America)
is a covenantal fellowship of Regional Baptist Church Associations.
Eight Regional offices serve 1200 churches across America.

3686 Stagecoach Rd Unit F
Longmont, CO 80504-5660

Phone: (720) 283-3030
Toll-Free: (888) 366-3010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: