SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Money, Ethics & Chinese Fortune Cookies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Money, Ethics & Chinese Fortune Cookies Reply with quote

Money, Ethics & Chinese Fortune Cookies

Money is but a tool and not a measure of ones success, rather the manner of employment of all tools through out life is the true measure of ones success.

If you’re wondering whether I cracked the cookie after Chinese take-out, guess again. There is actually a significant point to be made. Let me pose a hypothetical circumstance. A business deal is in negotiation and you have control of the situation. Not only do you have command of all facets of the deal, the person negotiating opposite is beyond his ability. Some would say ripe for the picking, yet I posit how would you respond?

I. An immoral person would definitely take the person to the cleaners regardless of margin. It is always about profit maximization, regardless of situation.
II. A pragmatist without regard to ethics would charge the amount he could get away with taking into account the lambs future enlightenment.
III. An ethicist would ponder what is fair for both sides while maximizing profit. He would set his own limit which could be argued by the lamb to place him in category I or II, yet this is what ultimately separates category III from I and II. The conscience and deliberate manner of ethical negotiation.

Deciding in life to take the ethical road less traveled might seem at times the more difficult to traverse, yet by the roads end will always be the one worth taking. Damn, another fortune cookie. I swear I had no Chinese tonight. Anyway, life is about maximizing your potential in all areas without detriment to those around you. You may one day find yourself a captain of industry, yet without ethics based upon a moral foundation you will be in command of nothing more then a rowboat without oars in a category five hurricane.

Remember capitalism only works when the system employs people of ethical standards. When you have a system where the Presidents men argue only results matter and not how you get there, and an avalanche of ethical breakdowns resulting in fortune 500 companies going broke on a daily basis, reflection upon our moral foundation and ethics of commerce and our society is in order.

My brother adds,

IV. A liberal shuns traditional morality so they feel free to take the person to the cleaners but also subconsciously feel shame because they still have an internal moral compass even though they deny it. This shame turns to self loathing and therefore they feel all entepreneurs have this same lack of moral conviction and are "evil". They will go to any length to blame others for their own moral shortcomings.

I would of put all liberals into cat I, yet he makes a good argument for a cat IV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: