SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ROVE RAGE: HE'S NOT THE VILLAIN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: ROVE RAGE: HE'S NOT THE VILLAIN Reply with quote

NEW YORK POST

Quote:
ROVE RAGE: HE'S NOT THE VILLAIN
Thu Jul 14, 4:04 AM ET

A gleeful mob of Democrats and their news-media allies is demanding that President Bush immediately fire Karl Rove, his trusted adviser.

What's next? Torches and pitch forks?

Let's be clear: Clamoring for the president to abandon Rove, for the ostensible crime of publicly disclosing a CIA operative's identity, conveniently distracts from the real story here — and it's a tale that shows the Bush-bashers at their most disingenuous.

First, a recap.

In 2003, career diplomat and former Clinton national-security official Joseph Wilson, a CIA consultant, wrote a scathing commentary for The New York Times, charging that he had been sent to Africa at Vice President Dick Cheney's request before the war in Iraq to check out allegations from British intelligence that Saddam Hussein had tried to buy uranium in Niger.

Wilson said he quickly concluded that the reports were unfounded — and that he so informed his superiors. Nevertheless, he continued, Bush included the allegation in his 2003 State of the Union Address and used it to justify making war on Iraq — knowing full well it was false.

Days later, columnist Robert Novak reported that Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, was a CIA operative and likely played a role in selecting him for the Africa mission — a charge Wilson swiftly denied, but which later was unequivocally substantiated in a bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee report.

The disclosure of Plame's name led to accusations that someone at the White House — in an effort to discredit Wilson — had maliciously disclosed his wife's CIA status, which might endanger her while violating the 1982 Intelligence Identities Protection Act.

Democrats demanded, and got, a special prosecutor to investigate.

Now, two years later, it's been revealed that, despite his earlier denials, Rove did in fact disclose to at least one journalist, Time magazine's Matt Cooper, that Wilson's wife (whom he did not cite by name) worked for the CIA.

That's all the wolves were waiting for: Now they want Rove indicted, convicted, flayed and filleted — and then locked up on Devil's Island.
And fired, too.

For starters.

But what really happened?

Did Karl Rove commit a crime?

We'll reserve final judgment, pending the outcome of the grand jury probe.

But it appears not.

Every news media organization that filed briefs against the prosecutor's attempt to compel reporters' grand-jury testimony admits that "it is far from clear — at least on the public record — that a crime took place."

That's because disclosing an agent's identity is a crime only if it's done maliciously with full knowledge of covert status obtained in an official capacity.

That's a very high threshold.

And, in the event, it's far from clear who told Rove that Wilson's wife worked for the CIA — Cheney's chief of staff, Lewis Libby, after all, has testified that he learned it from a journalist.

(An interesting aside: Many of those now clamoring for Rove's head voted against the 1982 bill when it was first enacted. The New York Times, called it "dangerous" and "reckless.")

And the evidence now being disclosed suggests that Rove was merely trying to warn Cooper away from Wilson's allegations — a self-serving tip from the administration's point of view, but also a gesture made in service of the truth.

For Wilson's claims have been wholly discredited on numerous occasions and in many ways by the Senate Intelligence Committee and the British government, among others.

In fact, it turns out that Rove was right to warn him — because just about ev erything that Wilson (who, by the way, quickly signed up with the John Kerry campaign) alleged in the article turned out to be false:

* Contrary to Wilson's claims, his presence on the mission was not authorized by CIA Director George Tenet or Vice President Cheney.

* Despite his insistence that Plame "had nothing to do with the trip," the Senate committee concluded that she had, indeed, "suggested his name" for the Africa mission.

* Wilson's original findings — far from discrediting evidence that Saddam was seeking uranium in Niger — actually "lent more credibility to the original CIA reports on the . . . deal," according to the Senate report.

* The official British investigation into prewar intelligence concluded that "it is accepted that Iraqi officials visited Niger in 1999" and that "the British government has intelligence from several different sources indicating that this visit was for the purpose of acquiring uranium." (French intelligence separately confirmed this information.)

Which is precisely what President Bush told the nation.

Which is why the British report declared conclusively that "the [uranium] statement in President Bush's State of the Union Address . . . was well-founded."

Joseph Wilson, in other words, lied thoroughly and repeatedly.

Karl Rove knew that — and tried to warn Matt Cooper off those lies.

That's how administrations — especially those that regularly have to contend with a rabidly hostile press corps — defend themselves.

And the Bush administration needed defending from Joseph Wilson — who shopped his lies and found a willing buyer in The New York Times.

Frankly, we wish Karl Rove had explained all this long ago.

After all, he had done the right thing.

But by denying any involvement, Rove undercut himself and the administration — not the first tactical error this White House has made.

Still, the bottom line here is that Karl Rove acted to protect the president against a partisan, blatantly false smear on a matter with grave national security implications.

Again, for the record, Rove did the right thing.

It is simply outrageous that he is cast as the villain in this episode — while Joseph Wilson, a disgraceful liar, skates.

This is what has infuriated me since this whole controversy started.
My concern was not so much for Rove, because the truth will come out in the end and all of his detracters will look like fools.
But Joe Wilson LIED to affect this country's foreign policy!!!

HE is the one who should be facing a Grand Jury Investigation!!!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Uisguex Jack
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Days later, columnist Robert Novak reported that Wilson's wife, Valerie Plame, was a CIA operative and likely played a role in selecting him for the Africa mission — a charge Wilson swiftly denied, but which later was unequivocally substantiated in a bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee report.

This is an abuse of power. The time has come for a real senate investigation.
This investigation should look at the entire issue of National security employees from varient orginizations knowingly lieing to the public at large.

Joe Wilson, Richard Clarke, Jamie S. Gorelick, Mrs Wilson, Sandy Berger is a good nexus to start with.

Lets have a real investigation and figure out just what the hell is going on here and who the hell is the 'puppet master'.
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, puppet master = New York Times!
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
PC
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: National Review Reply with quote

An amusing take on this over at National Review. Funny, but makes a lot of sense to me:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/schulz200507140811.asp
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Drudge: "'NON-PARTISAN' WILSON...PRESS CONFERENCE WITH. Reply with quote

More Rove Rage from Schumer...the righteous indignation-ometer will surely be pegged at the top....

Quote:
Drudge: "'NON-PARTISAN' WILSON TO HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE WITH DEM SENATOR "

Quote:
MEDIA ADVISORY:
SCHUMER STANDS WITH AMBASSADOR JOE WILSON TO ASK FOR SUSPENSION OF ROVE'S SECURITY CLEARANCE

Thu Jul 14 2005 11:15:02 ET

White House Should Suspend Deputy Chief of Staff's Security Clearance Information While Investigation is Pending, Until Plame Leak Is Resolved

In Light Of Time Reporter Matt Cooper's Confirmation That Rove Was a Source In the Leak of CIA Agent Valerie Plame's Identity, Schumer and Wilson Call For Suspension of Rove's Security Clearance

U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer and Ambassador Joseph Wilson will hold a press conference at 3:00pm TODAY, July 14, 2005 in the Mansfield Room of the U.S. Capitol to call for the suspension of White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove' security clearance until the investigation of the leak of CIA Agent Valerie Plame's identity is resolved.

Israel S. Klein
Communications Director
U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash4.htm
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mr. Bush does not go to the mat and defeat this smear on Rove, he is toast. They will commence smearing everyone. There will be no Judges confirmed, no nothing. The Libs will have gained the upper hand. Lame Duck hell, he will be a dead duck politically.
manelly
PO3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dirty Rats here are Joe Wilson and Valarie Plame Mad

Thats it Mad I'm calling the WhiteHouse Evil or Very Mad

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Phone Numbers

Comments: 202-456-1111
Switchboard: 202-456-1414
FAX: 202-456-2461

TTY/TDD

Comments: 202-456-6213
Visitors Office: 202-456-2121

President George W. Bush: president@whitehouse.gov
Vice President Richard Cheney: vice.president@whitehouse.gov

Even one of my own parents believes that the point here is that Quote Karl Rove was "dishonest, sly and deceitful" and "Even if there is a loophole by which Rove can claim it
wasn't illegal; in a time like this with terrorism
rampant, we don't need people in the White House
dropping legal hints about who our secret operatives
may be. "
grrrrrrrrr, well, i can't help it if all they have is CNN Razz
Tanya
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dems Urge Denial Of Security Clearances

~snip~
"Victoria Toensing, former counsel for the Senate Intelligence Committee who helped write the law protecting the identities of intelligence agents, told FOX News on Thursday that "no, in a nutshell," Rove did not commit a crime. Plame's status at the time of the revelation is key to that conclusion, she said.

"That's a very big question," Toensing said, referring to exactly what status Plame had within the CIA at the time of the alleged "leak." "When did she leave her foreign assignment?"

If it was in 1997, as noted in Wilson's book, Toensing said, "she would not have even have to come to the definition of a 'covert agent' under the law how we wrote it."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162485,00.html
BuffaloJack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gotta stop lumping all the Democrats in with the Liberals.
I genuinely like Zell Miller and he's a Democrat and as Conservative as they come. McCain on the other hand may be a Republican but he's a Liberal right to the bone.

I certainly hope the President doesn't hang Mr. Rove out to dry, but if it happens it will probably be to get the country moving and stop dwelling on the Karl Rove fixation the Libs and Press are bent on. This is tearing up our country at a time when we need to stay focused on terrorism.

I forgot again. The liberals don't care about the country, or war or our freedoms. They only care about winning elections, and making the President look bad.
GenrXr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
I genuinely like Zell Miller and he's a Democrat and as Conservative as they come. McCain on the other hand may be a Republican but he's a Liberal right to the bone.

I certainly hope the President doesn't hang Mr. Rove out to dry, but if it happens it will probably be to get the country moving and stop dwelling on the Karl Rove fixation the Libs and Press are bent on. This is tearing up our country at a time when we need to stay focused on terrorism.

I forgot again. The liberals don't care about the country, or war or our freedoms. They only care about winning elections, and making the President look bad.

The problem is the Democratic party has been hijacked by communists such as Soros, Move On and Center for American Progress. Until a Democrat purges their party of this element in the same manner Harry Truman once did, they will suffer the consequence of the far left being in control.
Tanya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilson: From Envoy To Accuser

NEW YORK, Oct. 1, 2003

"Disarmament is a wonderful goal, but the Iraqis didn't build their weapons of mass destruction because they hate America," he told the Times. "They built them because they are in a tough neighborhood. They built them because they are afraid of three strong countries nearby: Israel, Turkey and Iran."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/10/01/iraq/main576052.shtml
GM Strong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:

Essentially correct, but where are the Democrats who are standing up? So far Zell and that's it. Lieberman has no cajones, the rest are cowering to Schmucky Schumer, Hildebeast, Teddy the Swimmer and rest. I don't want to discuss McCain, he is all about himself.
Tanya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I feel like I'm in the movie Ground Hog Day, and everyday I wake up to the same episode of Boris and Natasha. Shocked
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know, I feel like I'm in the movie Ground Hog Day, and everyday I wake up to the same episode of Boris and Natasha.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
Essentially correct, but where are the Democrats who are standing up? So far Zell and that's it. Lieberman has no cajones, the rest are cowering to Schmucky Schumer, Hildebeast, Teddy the Swimmer and rest. I don't want to discuss McCain, he is all about himself.

And until they do, I'm still gonna call em Commiecrats. If the shoe fits, they got to wear it.

Dusty
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenrXr wrote:
The problem is the Democratic party has been hijacked by communists such as Soros, Move On and Center for American Progress. Until a Democrat purges their party of this element in the same manner Harry Truman once did, they will suffer the consequence of the far left being in control.

Which will come first? Islamic reformation or Democratic Party reformation? My bet is on Islam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: