SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest from Iraq (Iraq Truth Tour update via Melanie Morgan)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olympian2004
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Latest from Iraq (Iraq Truth Tour update via Melanie Morgan) Reply with quote

Latest from Iraq - from Melanie Morgan's website at KSFO

I spoke with Melanie this morning and she asked me to forward a few pictures of what we are doing here in Iraq. The 184 IN is part of the California National Guard and we are assigned to the 4 BCT (Brigade Combat Team) 3rd Infantry Division. We are currently stationed at FOB Falcon in the Southern part of Baghdad.

I realize that the media tends to focus solely on the IEDs the firefights etc because that is what sells. The reality is that for every contact we have with the enemy there are hundreds of contacts with locals that end in a more positive and less dramatic fashion.

The picture that is attached is of a little girl named Hara who was wounded when she was caught in the middle of an ambush. About a year ago the terrorists ambushed an American patrol here. During the firefight that followed the vehicle that Hara was in was trapped in between the opposing forces. Hara's sister was killed when terrorists fired into the vehicle. The small arms fire caught the vehicle on fire. Before she was able to get out Hara was severely burned over much of her body.

Hara was taken to local Iraqi doctors who simply bandaged her wounds and sent her home. Lacking proper treatment Hara's legs were fused together as the wounds began to heal on their own. Her mother took her again to see a local doctor who attempted to "fix her legs" the end result was that Hara went home with two broken legs.

Several weeks later local residents waved down a patrol from the 403 CA (Civil Affairs). CPT Morris the team leader began an effort that would eventually allow Hara to receive treatment at the American medical center inside the IZ.

Doctors at the CSH treated Hara's injuries for several months. During that time the brave little girl underwent numerous painful rehab sessions that eventually allowed her to begin to walk.

The photo is of the day Hara left the CSH to return to her home. The staff lined the halls of the hospital to bid farewell to this Iraqi child who had won their hearts with her courage. I watched as soldiers tenderly placed Hara inside of a Humvee to begin the dangerous trip home down Route Irish. As our convoy left RTE Irish for the Abu-Disher neighborhood where Hara lived children lined the streets to wave and to welcome Hara home. As I left I asked myself what the future held for Hara. Today we continue to make visits to Hara to check on her progress. Despite a fall that broke her hip Hara is determined to make it.

Hara truly represents the future of democratic Iraq. Like that fragile democracy she is small and has suffered much. If the democracy that is growing in Iraq proves as hearty and determined as Hara the future is indeed bright.

Respectfully,

1LT Murphy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: